Video: Compare 16-Bit With HD In This Pier Solar and the Great Architects Trailer

Posted by Andy Green

Set to shine in Q1 2014

Towards the end of last year indie developer WaterMelon ran a successful crowdsourcing campaign to bring its 2010 Sega Mega Drive (Genesis in the US) title Pier Solar and the Great Architects into high definition on a range of systems including Wii U.

It's set to release into the eShop in the first quarter of 2014 and Nintendo has been showcasing the game at this week's Indiecade in California along with other titles such as Teslagrad, Armillo, Scram Kitty and his Buddy on Rails, Tengami and Treasurenauts to name a few.

Pier Solar and the Great Architects allows players to choose the graphics mode they want to play in, be it the traditional 16-bit iteration or the HD adaptation, a feature that is shown off in the latest trailer, which can be found below.

While you wait for this one to release, you can take a look at our hands-on with the Mega Drive cartridge version of Pier Solar in all its boxed glory and read through our interview with the developer earlier this year.

What are your thoughts on the upcoming release? Let us know by leaving a comment.

[via youtube.com]

Squashy

Squashy said:

I remember hearing about this game when it came out on Mega Drive, I think it's gigantically cool that they made a brand new Mega Drive game! I'll have to get this when I eventually get a MD but this new version looks great too, the mix of HD backgrounds and 16 bit sprites looks really nice.

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

Just fantastic, makes me wonder what would happen if video games just stayed 2D and 16 bits up to nowadays.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

You can get all 3 that they did as a PC collection for 20$. (Have been able to since August).

Warruz

Warruz said:

I really dont like the character sprites in some of the scenes, just to much going on to focus on them.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

Ah, I just love the charm of those 16-bit sprites! This will be easy money for them - from my end, at least!

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

Quite interesting. I'll have to check it oot. Gotta make a list, before I forget some of these...

JaredJ

JaredJ said:

I own the original cart. Its a great game! Looking forward to this Wii U release.

Dreamcaster-X

Dreamcaster-X said:

Wow!!! I love having the ability to switch graphics mode!! That's a nice little bonus!! Looking forward to playing it again. Hopefully they've balanced out the difficulty a bit.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I was watching this trailer yesterday in the Wii U eShop. They made an Indiecade section with trailers of around 11 indie games to be showcased at said show. So I could know a bit more about Unepic, Knytt, Qube, etc. Oh, and this one.

Looks nice and it reminded me of an old Squaresoft RPG, none in particular. That also made me think that indies are now doing what big devs don't do anymore. As with Comcept with Mighty No 9. And even Ghost Song

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

The sprites look like they are in the wrong proportions.

Might get it on Dreamcast (Give me a reason to bother having it connected. I only have Gunlord / Permanent loaned Shenmue 1 & 2 on it).

JJtheTexan

JJtheTexan said:

I actually think the 16-bit version looks better than the HD backgrounds with pixelated sprites.

Anyone know if this is a traditional JRPG with random enemy encounters, FF-style grinding and items, etc.?

AcesHigh

AcesHigh said:

I agree with some of the folks on here. It looks great but they walk TOO SLOW... they need to speed that up or add a run action.

ToniK

ToniK said:

Wow, the 16-bit mode looks awesome. Never heard of this game though.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Looking as awesome as ever! :D Can't wait to pick this game up & try it out in both HD & 16-bit o the Gamepad screen & see which one I like best :D

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Watched the video, very cool. I assume its a RPG. If so, bring it to the WiiU asap!

sdelfin

sdelfin said:

I just placed an order last week for a copy during the next run of carts they do for the Genesis. I just recently hooked up my Genesis and SNES for the first time in ages to see how they work. I'm glad to say that both are working but the SNES looks awful on my TV and the Genesis doesn't look as good as it could but better than the SNES. I'm going to work on fixing that. I think it will be really cool to get a new Genesis game.