Talking Point: What Games Are You Playing This Weekend? - Issue Nineteen

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Some of us have to be a bit secretive

It's time for the WGAYPTW feature to stop goofing off and join the real world, as it prepares to leave the teen existence for a life or work and drudgery. Or it'll carry on in such a grey, oppressive world as a beacon of frivolous gaming, where weekends are lost in our favourite pursuit. Yeah, let's go for the latter option.

So here we go again, lovely Nintendo Life readers, as members of the team reveal their weekend gaming plans or, in some cases, fear the almighty powers that be and go all James Bond / CIA on this business.

Jon Wahlgren

Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut (Wii U) — I'll be working through the review of this one so there'll be a lot of not asking for things and being as stealthy as an ox. I had some dental work done this week so I feel that I identify with this future dystopia filled with body augmentations on a deeply personal level.

Rory Cocker

Well, I was planning on getting stuck in to The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD or maybe even Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut this weekend. Unfortunately, my Wii U recently went kaput, so I'm having to resort to the other consoles. I know, I know - blasphemy! What that means is lots of FIFA 14. Lots and lots of FIFA 14. Up the North End (that's Preston North End, for those that are confused - ed)!

Martin Watts

This weekend will most likely involve a spot of Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. After neglecting my health and social life to it earlier this year, I caught the bug again last week, and now my housemate and I are frantically back in the hunt! I'm away from home for some of the weekend, but that doesn't matter as I've got both the Wii U and 3DS versions, and I'll therefore be making good use of save transfer program. And yes, I'm one of those sad people that gets a kick out of organising my items box.

Orla Madden

This weekend will be a busy one, with various events happening in my town thanks to Halloween nearing closer and a Bank Holiday on Monday. If I get a chance, I'm hoping to batter the 4th Gym Leader in Pokémon Y and claim ownership of another badge. My team is shaping up nicely, so you can expect to see me looking for online battles pretty soon.

Morgan Sleeper

It's amazing what we can learn about ourselves by looking at our gaming habits; apparently, I really need to get myself a garden. I just recently achieved Master Gardener status on Flower Town/StreetPass Garden, and now I'm itching to dive back in this weekend and grow as many of the awesome rare breeds as I can. After that, my 3DS time will be evenly split between watering plants in the absolutely incredible Rune Factory 4, watering plants in the equally fantastic Animal Crossing: New Leaf, and training my nearly all-Grass team in Pokémon X. That's plenty of games for a weekend (or a week!), but I'm also considering jumping into my very first Phoenix Wright game with Dual Destinies — if any Ace Attorneys want to make a case for it, go ahead and convince me! Now if you'll excuse me, I've got some planting to do...

Gaz Plant

This weekend I'm travelling, so my 3DS will be getting a much needed workout. First on the agenda is to buy a new SD card - I'm still running on my launch day 2GB card, and apparently no matter how many times I yell OBJECTION at the eShop, it just can't cram Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies into 100 blocks of space. Once that's sorted, I'll be playing Ace Attorney. I fell in love with the demo, and I can't wait to get involved in a series I've been curious about for so long.

I've also pre-ordered (for better or worse) the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game for 3DS and... well let's just say I don't have high hopes for this one...

Stephen Kelly

Well, I'm rather torn. I just bought a brand new TV that is currently melting my eyeballs with its plasma glory, and I just know that my copy of The Wind Waker HD is pining to find a home on its screen-- but my weekend will be so chaotic that I'll hardly have time to sit down and play it. Torturous, really. The good news is that I'm still going strong in Pokemon X, which is hands down one of my favourite games this year, so perhaps I'll just pop in to see how my Ditto is doing whenever I have the chance. Either that or make more Trainer PR videos. Yeah, probably that.

Tim Latshaw

So I'm lagging behind my friends in Pokémon X. I probably spend too much time petting my Pangoro, who glances away like he's embarrassed but I can tell by the hearts he totally digs the attention so I'm never gonna st--er, ahem. Anyway, one of my friends is at a conference all week and said, "Hey, you'll be able to catch up while I'm out!" I told him yeah, I totally would! But I was hearing something else in my mind: "Objection!"

I'm absolutely not catching up in Pokémon X this weekend.

Ken Barnes

This weekend, I'll still be trying to push my Williams around to finish higher than 15th place in any race ever in F1 2013 (Xbox 360), as well as finally getting started on Pokémon Y. I'm hoping that the fact that I haven't played a Pokémon game since the original Red and Blue on the Game Boy won't be an issue. Also, I picked up Mario Tennis Open for the 3DS for an absolute song in the middle of the week, so I'll be seeing what sort of delights that can serve up. On top of that, I'll be busting out Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2013 for the Wii U, as part of a health kick that will last until approximately November 22nd.

Anthony Dickens

I will be playing EMBARGOED.

Tom Whitehead

I shall also be playing EMBARGOED, as well as EMBARGOED, which is a joke that's getting REDACTED and a ham mustard sandwich. When not REDACTED I plan to play some retro games with fellow NLifers while possibly consuming a few cheeky beverages. And then I'll need a lie down.

So there you have some of our weekend plans, so please (pretty please?) share yours in the comments below.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Well I would be playing the new Ace Attorney but Capcom doesn't think my money is as good as people who prefer digital media.

So instead I have been having an itch to play my SNES games so I will be playing Mega Man X, which I gave another chance and found out I am loving this game, Super Castlevania IV which I just got a cartridge of a few days ago for my Halloween game this year, and Killer Instinct which my son got hooked on last night. If I have time after all that maybe some World of Warcraft.

Gerbwmu

Gerbwmu said:

Probably a lot of Nintendo Land since my son has decided to be addicted to it again

Kroisos

Kroisos said:

I'm playing Shadow of the Colossus--because The Wonderful 101 broke my rumble and I had to send my Gamepad in to be fixed.

nik1470

nik1470 said:

I'm in the mood for some pain this weekend so I'm going to attempt to complete Super Meat Boy again. I say attempt because I'll probably rage quit and carry on with my new play through of The Wonderful 101 for some light relief lol

ScorpionMG

ScorpionMG said:

probably will play some good old goldeneye wii online :P
maybe some earthbound and toki tori 2

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Need to actually find some time to play Pokemon X, only like 10 hours in so far. Continue with Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper on Wii U, Crashmo and Dragon Quest IX as well. And WWE '13 on my PS3 a bit.

Anyone want to loan me some time?

XFsWorld

XFsWorld said:

Luigi Mansion 2 and Resident Evil Revelations

Edit: Also NSMB2, gotta bunch of streetpass challenges to do

Sneaker13

Sneaker13 said:

I will probably install myself behind my PC for Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs for the most time. And when I'm portable, it will be the new Phoenix Wright game and maybe a bit of Pokemon X.

Cohort

Cohort said:

Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut (arrived this morning), Wind Waker HD and BLOPS II

I also picked up Steamworld Dig this week.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Banjo-Kazooie, Etrian Odyssey IV, Fire Emblem: Awakening, F-Zero & La-Mulana.
I've got a massive backlog & an itchy gaming thumb that keeps me wanting to play another game & another game but never actually beat the previous game...

OracleOfTruth

OracleOfTruth said:

My Halloween game schedule has been single-handedly trashed by the miracle that is Pokemon Y. But I'm ok with that. ;)

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

I've just finished Wind Waker HD's Wind Temple, but I still have a bunch of side quests to do before I go battle Ganondorf. Inbetween sessions, I'll probably be doing some Wonderful 101 and Pokémon X.

Linkus

Linkus said:

Deus ex human revolution on the wiiu and maybe some fire emblem on 3ds.

CasuallyDressedStaff

CasuallyDressed said:

Tom, everyone is aware of the world famous, football-league-founding, first-time-double-winners Preston North End. Literally nobody was confused.

Bulbousaur

Bulbousaur said:

Pokemon X (obviously) and Far Cry 3 which I got on PS+. I also played the demo of Spelunky yesterday and really enjoyed it, so I might buy that this weekend and constantly die.

mookysam

mookysam said:

Pokemon Y. I've only got two badges yet have spent 40 hours on it so far, mainly focusing on filling up the pokedex. The past few days I've been doing crazy things like super training magikarp and mass breeding oddish.

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

Playing Pokémon X training my first competitive team in about 5 years. Super Training ftw~
Might pick up Deus Ex HR DC on Steam (if it's out yet / depends how much it costs)

Link41x

Link41x said:

I'll be working on the following this weekend:
Frogger Returns - WiiWare
Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs - PS3
Gunstar Heroes - XBLA

Sir_JBizzle

Sir_JBizzle said:

I'll more than likely start working through Wind Waker and/or the 101. I wanna buy Arkham Origins, but I'm not sure if it's worth the money yet, as I've yet to see reviews/comparisons between the console versions.

Vriess

Vriess said:

Rayman Legends for my wife, Nintendo Land for our children and Wind Waker HD for me. We're a happy Nintendo family :)

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

Probably finish the rest of Steamworld Dig. (I think I am quite near the end as I am at level MAX). Thought it would be longer than it is and I like it so I dunno whether I might just leave it.

Might finish unlocking Ages's Console Mod on All Stars Racing Transformed.

LDXD

LDXD said:

Might be playing some diablo3 on ps3 and debating on getting either batman or wonderful 101 today and even the unfair price of the Wii u version of deus ex I went to get it the other day but can't find it anywhere what gives ?

rjejr

rjejr said:

PvZ2 finally came out on Android so there goes a few hours at least.

I need to sand - spackle - sand - spackle my hallway this weekend. Its like playing a Kinect game, only in real life

WinterWarm

WinterWarm said:

Maybe some Need For Speed on my PSP, Age Of Empires on my PC...

Of course as usual it's mainly about 3DS.

I'm picking up Resident Evil: Mercenaries on Saturday, and recently I've been playing the Rayman Origins demo. I really need tl buy it. Better than Mario in my opinion.

Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus said:

Just alot of Pokemon Y. Maybe a bit of Disney Infinity. I'm more into the same stuff until November.

TreesenHauser

TreesenHauser said:

NES Pinball via Virtual Console because I'm still broke. pouts

Of course, I also see myself playing GTA V on PS3, and I've been going back to Super Mario Galaxy.

lckulczak

lckulczak said:

I'll be trying to finish my figurine collection in the Wind Waker HD and playing Wii Sports to get ready for Wii Sports Club!

IxnayontheCK

IxnayontheCK said:

WWHD aallll bloody weekend. (when my son isnt watching Spongebob, Sanjay and Craig, or Ninja Turtles)

banacheck

banacheck said:

I've been playing Batman:Arkham Origins since yesterday, so i'll be play this over the weekend. I'm actually very surprised how good Origins is seeing as rocksteady haven't made this one, does it live up too the other two Batman games? so far hell yes.

GTWarrior77

GTWarrior77 said:

The plan is:

Lego City Undercover (Wii U) - collecting more goodies
Mega Man 2 (Wii U)
Animal Crossing New Leaf

Would've love to play Zelda Wind Waker HD this weekend but the retail release has been delayed till 15 Nov in my country :(

taffy

taffy said:

I'll be playing EMBARGOED along with REDACTED. Still need to catch up on CENSORED and try and squeeze some time to play OSTRACIZED!

triforcepower73

triforcepower73 said:

Pokemon Y, WWHD, New Leaf, and Xenoblade. But why do there have to be SOOOO many games that are being released that I want to get!? >.<

MasterWario

MasterWario said:

I'll be playing Etrian Odyssey Untold while everyone I know with a 3DS is questioning why I am not playing Pokemon.

@SkywardLink98 lol; That Terraria 1.2 though, is pretty awesome. I found a Rod of Discord the other day, and that thing, is OP!

yokokazuo

yokokazuo said:

Pokémon X for me(on my way the the Elite Four now), thinking of purchasing Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies as my first game of the series. I want to get back and finish Pikmin 3, but I'm not sure if that is going to happen any time soon...

Prof_Elvin_Gadd

Prof_Elvin_Gadd said:

@RoryCocker- How did your Wii U already die? Did you keep it on for an entire year? Did you mistreat it? Just seems kind of odd that your newest console is already dead... That either says you don't treat consoles well, or the Wii U has some internal problems, which is not good.

idork99

idork99 said:

Still playing around with my Wii U I got a couple of weeks ago. Sadly, I find myself going to the Wii mode and playing all my old school virtual console games more than the new games. I wish they wouldn't charge the $1.00-1.50 for being able to play your purchased virtual console Wii games on the game pad. I purchased a handful of titles to test out playing the games in the game pad and I'm sad to say that the controls for some game are not as responsive as they should be. Example, the original Super Mario Bros. is a game I know extremely well and was shocked at the amount of times I lost a life because of the controls not being responsive! It's annoying! Going forward, I think I'll just be downloading games from the eshop that are not available on the Wii Shop Channel.

With that said, I think I'll be playing some Super Castlevania IV!

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

I just got Mario and Luigi: Dream Team so of course I'll play that. Even so, I still can't stop playing Chrono Trigger on DS, and I'm also trying to play back through Earthbound (which I just wish didn't require as much as grinding as it does. The beginning of the game is very slow because of that, but other than that it's perfect). I'll also be playing Wind Waker HD possibly and maybe Rayman Legends. I might try to squeeze in some RECCA too!

@Prof_Elvin_Gadd Mine had to be sent in after only six months because the gamepad couldn't connect, and the synchronization process was broken also. I didn't mistreat it at all, but the paper included with the return package said they replaced damaged components. I hope this isn't something common.

ULTRA-64

ULTRA-64 said:

Really loving rayman:legends atm , genuinely addicted and having just 100%ed Mario bro Wii u as my last game, I think it's better!! 0_o
Still got w101 to go back to and ordered deus:ex today as I'm keen to see that type of games use of the gamepad capabilities.

Prof_Elvin_Gadd

Prof_Elvin_Gadd said:

@Giygas_95 Right? Mine is a launch day Wii U and I've had no problems whatsoever, system or GamePad, which I'm certainly thankful for. Hopefully the replacement process is quick-like for you buddy!

idork99

idork99 said:

Just curious...Has anyone else noticed how some Virtual Console games controls' when played on the Wii U game pad are not as responsive as they should be? I'm playing the original Super Mario Bros. on my Wii U game pad at the moment and notice that there's some kind of delay in the controls response that's causing me to lose lives in levels that I've mastered for years!

There needs to be some sort of update to fix this otherwise I don't see myself buying anymore virtual console games for the Wii U. I'll just go to the 100+ Virtual Console games I already have on my Wii!

citizenerased

citizenerased said:

Beating Link To The Past. Yup, first time. Figured I might as well before I pick up a 3DS and Link Between Worlds (sometime next year).

MadameJynx

MadameJynx said:

Still only Pokemon Y! Planning on spending several hours attempting for a shiny Lapras. Got a shiny Charmamder yesterday and I keep giggling at him in Pokemon Amie haha

3DSfan134

3DSfan134 said:

Animal Crossing:New Leaf(I think I'll play it a little bit)and Pokemon Y and when I don't have nothing else to play,LM:DM and RE:R 3DS.

Mahe

Mahe said:

Wii Party U with friends is going to be the star of the show. Maybe also some Rabbids Land to mix it up a little, and some Zelda: Twilight Princess when alone.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@idork99 It add's an extra frame of input lag just having the gamepad in ideal conditions. Matters more for some games than others.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

They have also started adding those nasty filters that were used on all ? Megadrive / and most TG16 games.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

I'm still trying to decide: Rune Factory 4, Wonderful 101, Ace Attourney 5, Okami HD, Muramasa ReBirth, or Ghost Trick...decisions decisions...this is why I hate having a backlog. Imma gonna go play some Street Fighter until I decide.

EDIT: Well, I'm definitely not playing Street Fighter IV, no siree, not until they forcibly remove Blanka from the game.

LeVideoGamer

LeVideoGamer said:

Imma finish Sonic Lost World, 100% Rayman Legends, then jump back into Tatsunoko vs. Capcom. I'm gonna revive my Zero/Batsu, Ryu/Jun and Yatterman-1/Polimar teams after I finish the platformers.

FJOJR

FJOJR said:

Just beat M&L Dream Team. The backlog is calling so I'm in limbo once more and I usually knockout more puzzles in Crosswords DS while I decide on what game I'll tackle next. Professor Layton maybe but Fire Emblem is also hanging there too.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@idork99 There is other things that affect it. (Becomes noticeable above 2 frames but the TV adds more almost certainly and something happens to keep them in sync). Just using the gamepad and disabling anything else should be able to be ok but that option doesn't seem to exist. So you need a TV with 16ms or less to stop it affecting the game (Which means a monitor designed for digital signage). This is for stuff that really needs it. e.g Super Mario Bros 2 (J) - Lost Levels.

Loads of stuff written online about it (Especially for VC stuff that originally had wired in controls). No solutions - just turning the TV off doesn't solve it.

http://shmups.system11.org - http://forums.shoryuken.com (Those two places seem to know and care more about it than most.)

MeWario

MeWario said:

Steamworld Dig now that I'm mostly done with Pokemon. Super Mario 3D World when I'm asleep :)

CrimsonMoonMist

CrimsonMoonMist said:

Batman: Arkham Origins (PC version).
Not the most inspired entry, but it's fun and fresh enough.
Unfortunately, the PC version is rather buggy at times.

snoox

snoox said:

Resident Evil Revelations for the Halloween vibe, Pokemon X, Zelda Wind Waker... good timez

hydeks

hydeks said:

Finish off Assassin's Creed 3 on Wii U
New Super Mario Bros Wii
Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess on Wii

deusy

deusy said:

I should probably finish EarthBound, but I have an unhealthy addiction to Brawl at the moment. I'll also play some NSLU.

InsertTokenz

InsertTokenz said:

Gonna try and make more progress on Pokemon X (I can only seem to find time to play it on weekends), along with the usual Animal Crossing: New Leaf and spurts of Super Mario 3D Land. May play some Wonderful 101 or Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD if I get time on my Wii U.

odd69

odd69 said:

Borderlands 2 dlc ,( the just released T.K baha one) ,and going to start Costume Quest again in honor of my holloween theme.

Trikeboy

Trikeboy said:

Pokemon x. I just got a perfect lvl 1 Larvitar through Wonder Trade and I'm currently EV training his young butt. Once that's complete, it's time to level the little guy up. I'm tempted to get Arkham Origins but I have so many games on the backlog that I really shouldn't.

RevolverLink

RevolverLink said:

I'll be sinking my teeth into Pokemon X Version and Phoenix Wright: Ace OMG IT'S FINALLY HERE Attorney - Dual Destinies.

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

I'll be playing RE: Revelations, since I got it for $15 with a $5 eShop promo code.

WitchSugoi

WitchSugoi said:

Wish I could say Dual Destinies but instead I'll play some more Pokemon X and maybe pull out my Sonic Classic Collection since I was just reminded of it today.

NbaJunkie

NbaJunkie said:

Finishing WWHd and Rayman Legends in short bursts.. Oh and Plants vs Zombies2 while Im at work!

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

@DRL It would be nice, wouldn't it? I'd buy it & play it all over again if only I was able to play it portably. Actually it is coming to the PS Vita, though I don't have one.

Technosphile

Technosphile said:

Ironic pic this week..

007 Legends multiplayer (Wii U)
Goldeneye 007 Reloaded multiplayer (PS3)
Grand Theft Auto V (PS3)

ICHIkatakuri

ICHIkatakuri said:

I'm on the verge of doing everything 100% in wind waker, but wanting to take my time with it and simply enjoy sailing around the place. But this weekend will mostly be taken up by Wii Party U with ythe kids and Deus Ex, the latter of which is very good and well worth £23.99

MikeDanger

MikeDanger said:

Pokemon Y. This time i'm gonna complete the Pokedex since trading has gotten waaaaaaaaay easier.

MikeDanger

MikeDanger said:

Donjwolf

Donjwolf said:

Mostly Sims 3 this weekend. The Into the Future expansion pack just came out so I want to do more stuff in it.

Gamercake

Gamercake said:

I've currently been replaying Skyward Sword (probably my favourite Zelda game) so I'll be playing through some of the game's awesome dungeons and bosses this weekend!

Phle

Phle said:

On 3DS:
Pokémon X
maybe
Animal Crossing New Leaf
Nintendo Presents: New Style Boutique
Ace Attorney: Apollo Justice (need to play this before I can start Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies as I have only played the 3 first games)
On Wii U:
Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD (first time I play though it and I love i every second. It might turn out as good as Twilight Princess. Twilight Princess is my favorite Zelda game so far and probably one of my favorite games, so that would be a big achievement.)
Maybe
Injustice: Gods Among us
Lego City Undercover

And I also have an old PC game I need to finnish by mid november. The Longest Journey. So far it's crap & I'm stuck in the beginning of the story. Of course I could easily find how to get on by using Google, but I want to figure it out by myself. But that also made me avoid the game for the past month and I probably wont manage to force myself to play it more this weekend when I have other games like Zelda...

Emaan

Emaan said:

I have a busy weekend but I'll be playing more of:

Pokemon X, EarthBound, and Wind Waker HD~

SphericalCrusher

SphericalCrusher said:

So thankful for the weekends! This weekend, my gaming schedule is:

Wii U: Wind Waker HD and Skylanders Swap Force with my four-year old son. Maybe Rayman Legends if my friend Jordan comes over for co-op.

3DS: Pokemon X mostly. Going to do my dailies in Animal Crossing also, and maybe hop back on Dream Team if I can find the time. I am very interested in the new Phoenix Wright game, as I LOVED the demo. May apply the last bit of my SMT4/Fire Emblem credit towards it.

supersonic007

supersonic007 said:

Wii u: sonic lost world and Lego batman 2 dc super heroes.
3ds: sonic generations
Wii: goldeneye 007
Hoping also to get rayman legends soon!

suburban_sensei

suburban_sensei said:

Picked up Batman: Arkham Origins and loving that. It's the first time I have been posting a lot on the Miiverse as well. Sadly I have 3 exams due this weekend (Microeconomics and Financial Accounting), so I won't be putting too much time into the game, but anybody on the fence about it should pick it up, WB Games did a good job.

astros75

astros75 said:

Going to try to Platinum the Pikmin 3 Remix DLC and continue trying to 100% NSMB WiiU with the girlfriend.

CosmoXY

CosmoXY said:

Pokémon Y for me. If I have time Sunday I might stop in and see how my Animal Crossing: New Leaf town is holding up without me around.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

3DS:
Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon
Rytmik World Music, & Retrobits
Both Mighty Switch Force games

Wii:
Super Smash Bros.
Mega Man X2
Mega Man 10
Solomon's key

Maybe some Gamecube, as my Wii's disc drive is damaged too much to play discs.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

3DS:
Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon
Rytmik World Music, & Retrobits
Both Mighty Switch Force games

Wii:
Super Smash Bros.
Mega Man X2
Mega Man 10
Solomon's key

Maybe some Gamecube, as my Wii's disc drive is damaged too much to play discs.