Rumour: The Year Of Luigi Will Be Rounded Off With A Limited Edition 2DS Console

Posted by Damien McFerran

Green and white system is photographed, has Luigi stamp on the back

2013 is the year of Luigi, and Mario's brother has certainly seen a lot of action. He's starred in New Super Luigi U, has taken a lead role in games like Luigi's Mansion 2 and Dream Team and has even had his own exclusive 3DS XL console.

It would seem that Nintendo isn't quite done with the Luigi-related festivities, though — Kotaku has been sent photos of what appears to be a Luigi-themed 2DS system, complete with a cool character stamp on its rear.

The images certainly look legit, but it's best to wait for official confirmation before getting too excited. Needless to say, the moment this bad boy is announced officially, we'll let you know about it.

Axed84

Axed84 said:

@Tokujo @miron_khuzd Not only that, but it helps for software such as AR Games where the 3D camera allows the software to measure the distance between the system and the AR cards.

cfgk24

cfgk24 said:

@Tokujo SO that you can take 3d pictures, save them on onyour SD card, and then, when you UPGRADE to a 3DS - all your hard work is still there! Plus it will help you to WANT to upgrade to a 3ds once you are old enough :)
Er, I'm not young and I really want this! :)

Kirk

Kirk said:

I find any 3DS/2DS models with coloured buttons just look cheap and tacky.

The green edges and Luigi stamp look cool though.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Oh wow that looks beautiful! Too bad it's such a downgrade from my 3DS XL though, I ain't getting it.

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

Omg, do want! I really hope this is out around XMas. I wanted a 2DS but couldn't bring myself to spend money on an inferior console. But, with the year of Luigi XL way out of my price range, I'll be watching this!

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

This is pretty cute, if only for the green buttons and Luigi engraving. I thought he'd just be a green stamp, but lo and behold...

rjejr

rjejr said:

Why a Luigi and not a MArio?

I'm not bashing Luigi, but these consoles are for kids. For parents to buy for their kids. I think parents would quickly grad a big red Mario 2DS but just ponder at this.

daveh30

daveh30 said:

I'm picking up a 2DS for my son for Christmas this year. Really hope this Luigi version makes it to NA!

ToniK

ToniK said:

The year of Luigi has been a success to me. I loved Mansion 2 and Dream Team and this would be an honorable way to end the year that gave Luigi the recognition he deserves.

Daeyala

Daeyala said:

ooh if this does become available I may actually get a 2DS, I wasn't planning on it.

JuanitoShet

JuanitoShet said:

Everything looks nice, except for the colored buttons and d-pad. Like someone above said, it makes the console look tacky and cheap. Here's to hoping it's confirmed!

CrabGats

CrabGats said:

I would get it if it was an XL. So tempting...

The 2DS is actually really good, it feels great and has awesome battery life.

PrincessSugoi

PrincessSugoi said:

Very nice.

I saw the 2DS in person a few nights ago, actually isn't bad of a device. Wish I had thought to ask the person if I could hold it for a minute. The current selections are very boy-ish though, they should consider making a Peach or pink themed one so more parents would consider grabbing this for their little girls this season.

yvanjean

yvanjean said:

why can't the 3DS XL look like this new 2DS??? I don't want a 2DS but that's one sweet looking console.

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

That actually looks really nice. The only thing I find weird is the circle pad isn't green too so it sticks out a bit. It'd be perfect for St. Patrick's Day too..;)

Ecto-1

Ecto-1 said:

Looking at these one of these pictures, I can't help but doubt the authenticity of this. Looking at the picture that shows the back of the system, I can't see the text that is normally on the back of Nintendo's handhelds as well as the serial number label. Why would those be missing? Its a small detail, I know, but its enough to make me doubt that this is real.

Edit: Just noticed there is also a dependency between the system pictured on the box and the actual system itself. Notice that on the system pictured on the box that the bezel around the top screen is white yet the actual system appears to have a black bezel around the top screen.