Retro City Rampage to Utilise Circle Pad Pro

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Gunplay just got easier

Retro City Rampage will certainly be a welcome release on the 3DS eShop, making its way to Nintendo's portable after its appearance on WiiWare and a host of other platforms. It's an anarchic game full of energy, so could certainly be ideal for some escapism on the go.

With development ongoing the developer, Vblank Entertainment, has posted an update on its Facebook page to confirm that the title will support the Circle Pad Pro and, by extension, the Circle Pad Pro XL. This is good news, in our book, as the dual stick controls of the Classic Controller / Pro were our main choice when reviewing the WiiWare version. The control setup with two analogue sticks — or Circle Pads in this case — accommodates an intuitive free aiming shooting mechanic, which should prove useful in trickier sections of the game.

Are you planning to pick this up on the 3DS eShop when it eventually arrives? Let us know in the comments below, and if you want to know more about the game you can check out our interview with Brian Provinciano.

Thanks to Ryan Millar for the tip.

[via facebook.com]

Baloo

Baloo said:

That could be the deal breaker, definately going to pick this up (as long as it not overpriced)

dumedum

dumedum said:

Great news. I thought the WiiWare version was an absolute blast. Highly recommended.

Ren

Ren said:

yes!!! I didn't know this was coming to 3ds! one of my favorite games in a long time!

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

I didn't even realize I could use the second stick on the Vita version. This game plays even better now.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

I am glad it supports it. (Not comfortable for me to hold my 3DS XL for much time without the Circle Pad Pro.) Dunno that it needs it though. (Lots of games that supporting dual stick spoils. Removes the precision).

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

I liked it that I could play it a few different ways depending on my mood the first time without pausing the game.

Gioku

Gioku said:

Absolutely loved this game on my friend's PC! One of my favorite games ever, easily! I'm really excited for the chance to play it on my 3DS! :)

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

If it seems like tons of extra work has been put in to it to me I will probably just get it though.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@Angelic_Lapras_King Nano Assault EX uses it if you want. (Some parts are actually harder with it than without though). If everything supported at least the R button on it that would be enough for me. (With it then my hands are in a much better position).

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@Angelic_Lapras_King From the big 3rd parties I expect some effort (Not optimal) for PS/Xbox then the absolute minimum possible for everything else. The only way for there to be a good one is for it to not be a port. (Even then the Renegade Kid DS ones are dire). Think there is one coming up from someone I have never heard of.

mch

mch said:

I would rahter want it for the Wii U - not sure yet if i get it for 3ds.

Oniinside

Oniinside said:

I tried that on my Ps3... seems awesome, except for the total mess (caused by the overall layout I suppose)... maybe I just need to play it more

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

He was probably meaning something like "deal maker" but yeah, it's hard to think of an actual expression like that...

mjc0961

mjc0961 said:

Cool. When I played this game on PS3, I pretty much exclusively used the two sticks once the game told me about that control option. That lock-on thing they had in there is just... Well the dual sticks is better.

CasuallyDressedStaff

CasuallyDressed said:

This game is made by one guy. Brian has said a few times that he wouldn't bother supporting the CPP if he didn't have to, but he feels reviewers would dock points from the score. I don't blame him.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

I wish Nintendo made available something that was just the grip part of the circle pad pro. It is ok using it all the time other than pressing the R button.

Be pretty much pure profit for them only a bit of plastic.

WhiteTrashGuy

WhiteTrashGuy said:

I think my hands feel worse after using the CPP then just the usual cramping that comes from the 3DS. Still, gonna keep it for the collection. If I ever get RCR it will be on 3DS.

shigulicious

shigulicious said:

Gonna buy this game anyway, CCP support is a bonus addition. The 3ds is so much more comfortable to me with it.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

Its £14.99 RRP for me on Steam. (I think I bought it for £9.99 quite early on). Don't think I will buy it straight away if it is £14.99.

Captain_Gonru

Captain_Gonru said:

@CanisWolfred I need to double-check, but I feel like that was why I didn't get it for 360 at the time. Of course, it may be $10 now if it was discounted at some point.

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

I keep forgetting I downloaded this on WiiWare. Not sure if I'll rebuy, although I would rather prefer to have it on 3DS.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

@Captain_Gonru I can't access Xbox Live on my Xbox anymore, but according to the Xbox website (which I'm not sure how reliable it tends to be) it is indeed $15 on XBLA. Weird, because it's $10 everywhere else. Xbox people got screwed (or more likely it's to cover the update costs. Microsoft should really do something about that...).

EDIT: Oh, it's $15 on Steam, too. Weird, though at least on Steam it might go on sale frequently.

Wolf_Link

Wolf_Link said:

No need for the CPP, the 3ds stand bundled with KI:U is more than enough for me. You do not get tired of holding the system and also let you enjoy the 3D properly.

WaxxyOne

WaxxyOne said:

Hm. May have to get a Circle Pad Pro just for this game. I will have to think about this.

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

Dual Sticks? Do I really need it? I only played it on wiiware using the dpad and buttons on the classic controller. I thought being a retro-inspired title, it wouldn't use analog control.