Pokémon X & Y Occupy Third and Fourth Spots in UK All-Format Chart

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

The Wind Waker HD hangs on in top 10

The hype around Pokémon X & Y has finally ended, as many 3DS gamers around the world are now immersed in establishing their teams and training 'mon. Naturally we're left to wonder how the excitable build-up has translated to sales, and we'll have a good idea on Wednesday for Japan, though we'll need to wait for detailed figures in mid-November for North America.

In the UK, meanwhile, both titles have performed well. Pokémon X is — at the time of writing — marked as the number one video game on Amazon UK, and the official UKIE all-format charts give a clear picture of the performance of both titles at launch. X has come in third place, with Y behind in fourth place; those are strong results considering that sales are split between the two versions and the fact they're single format — GTA V and FIFA 14 are the predictable top two, while PS3-exclusive Beyond: Two Souls came behind Y in fifth. In comparison to the releases of Pokémon Black and White 2, X and Y have sold roughly double the number of copies, showing the added sales power of a new generation.

Elsewhere, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD has come in 10th place in its second week, a reasonable result considering the limited Wii U install base. The ever-green Animal Crossing: New Leaf sits in 18th, while Mario Kart 7 drifts into 40th position.

So there you have it, and it's also a win for X over Y. Which did you pick up?

[via ukie.info]

Related Games

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

Quite interesting, considering they're counted as two separate titles and people are likely to buy one or the other, but both are essentially the same game. I'd be interested to see where they'd sit if sales from both were combined (let's say take 5%-10% off the total to account for the odd few who bought both). Enough to knock GTAV from its throne? Impossible to tell without real figures, of course, but would be good to see.

Well-deserved spots, regardless. Pokémon's never been better.

Peach64

Peach64 said:

I went to a 3DS meet up on Saturday and out of about 20 people there, all but 2 had it, quite a lot of people even had both versions. It shows yet again there is no anti-Nintendo bias in the UK and good games will sell well. I just hope it starts boosting 3DS numbers so I can get some streetpass hits outside pre-arranged meet ups.

cookiex

cookiex said:

It'll be interesting to see how Pokémon performs in the U.S (pre-release tracking suggests around 1.1-1.2 million) and Japan, especially the latter. Should easily be in the top 3 3DS games by the end of the year.

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@Bazry Yeah, Chart-Track are iffy about sites using their stuff, so that's why we use UKIE. As I said in the article, when you factor in various things like two version on a single platform, they've done really well.

Squashy

Squashy said:

Double the number of copies Black And White 2 sold in the same time period? That's incredible! Great to see Zelda doing well too, it's such a beautiful game. :)

GamerZack7

GamerZack7 said:

I ended up getting both, though Pokémon Y was a birthday gift for my brother. I can understand why Pokémon XY is doing so well, as it is a brilliant game to be sure. :)

Emblem

Emblem said:

I'm sure digital sales are also quite high, shame we may never get the figures.

XFsWorld

XFsWorld said:

I believe this will get 5-6 million sold by the end of the year, but can get more.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

@X-Factor I'm expecting closer to 10 million by the end of the year! Of course that also includes digital sales!

The line I seen at my Gamestop was crazy. 300 to 400 people. Even if 2/3rds of them weren't there to buy that's a nice 100 plus copies sold! I'm sure many other stores were the same and on Saturday I seen a pokemon commercial evey 15 mins!

MJKOP

MJKOP said:

I was out shopping over the weekend, lisburn, and got 9Streetpass hits, good going for me, majority were playing X or Y

Araknie

Araknie said:

Why they weren't aggregated sales?

Sounds fishy, but i miss the chips...if you catch my cold. [quote from JonTron]

Dogpigfish

Dogpigfish said:

This makes sense. Do these include digital sales, because I don't know a single person who bought a cartridge?

AdanVC

AdanVC said:

Pokémon X/Y are like our GTA V. So glad both are perfoming soooo well, looking forward to see how develops in America and Japan.

Melkaticox

Melkaticox said:

I was surprised to see it was on the third/fourth spot...

Then I remembered Europe doesn't like Pokémon as much as the other two regions. Weird.
It's the same thing with Zelda and japan (except it's a lot worse there)