Pokémon X & Y and Monster Hunter 4 Continue Chart Dominance in Japan

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Monsters big and small

It's Wednesday, which means it's Media Create Japanese charts day. It's the land where the 3DS rules supreme, while the Wii U awaits its (hopefully) triumphant revival later in the year. This week brings relatively little change, which means good things for Nintendo's portable system.

As expected, Pokémon X & Y and Monster Hunter 4 continue to rule the roost, and bear in mind the following figures do not reflect all download sales; lifetime sales in parenthesis.

1. [3DS] Pokemon X and Y – 473,151 (2,339,721)
2. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 – 104,394 (2,757,217)
3. [PS3] Grand Theft Auto V – 88,219 (448,334)
4. [3DS] Sentouchu Densetsu no Shinobi to Survival Battle – 44,565 (New)
5. [PS3] Saint Seiya: Brave Soldiers – 29,314(New)
6. [PS3] FIFA 14 – 26,170 (New)
7. [PS3] Beyond: Two Souls – 22,481 (New)
8. [PS3] Sakatsuku Pro Soccer Club wo Tsukurou – 11,819 (85,515)
9. [PS3] Tales of Symphonia Chronicles – 11,212 (88,450)
10. [PSV] DanganRonpa 1&2 Reload – 9,532 (85,704)
11. [3DS] Tomodachi Collection: New Life – 7,928 (1,474,096)
12. [PSP] J. League Pro Soccer Club wo Tsukurou – 7,024 (New)
13. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf – 6,937 (3,445,311)
14. [PS3] Fairy Fencer F – 6,167 (46,833)
15. [PSV] Sakatsuku Pro Soccer Club wo Tsukurou – 5,879 (39,778)
16. [PS3] Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate – 5,600 (121,655)
17. [3DS] Disney Magic Castle: My Happy Life – 5,451 (296,178)
18. [3DS] Yokai Watch – 4,552 (204,892)
19. [3DS] Mario & Luigi: Dream Team – 4.020 (332,884)
20. [3DS] Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon – 3,896 (918,767)

Hardware follows the predictable trend, with the 3DS (all iterations) remaining comfortably on top despite the new release bump seeing a decrease on last week. Unfortunately the failure of The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD to prompt enthusiasm in Japan see the home console's numbers drop to increasingly disappointing levels; last week's sales are in parenthesis.

3DS LL – 94,988 (141,245)
3DS – 59,590 (72,325)
PlayStation Vita – 25,763 (60,166)
PlayStation 3 – 11,643 (12,395)
PSP – 3,651 (3,467)
Wii U – 2,999 (3,276)
Wii – 806 (703)
Xbox 360 – 539 (575)

The 3DS continues on its merry way, while Nintendo will count on upcoming releases to boost the struggling Wii U.

[via gematsu.com]

Warruz

Warruz said:

I know i did this in the last post but
Untitled
Bring MH4 to the west already capcom! Oh dont forget to tweet the #BRINGMH4TOTHEWEST

rjejr

rjejr said:

I know people always reference the 3DS story of doomed-to-domination as hope for the Wii U, but I'm not sure even Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros will propel the Wii U like Pokemon and Monster Hunter.

No PS4 in Japan until Feb 2014 means Wii U still has a chance though.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

I like how (relatively) well the PSVita's been doing lately, though that's down to the Slim version I think.

And ouch, Saint Seiya got less than 40,000. Well, at least the west is already getting it.

cookiex

cookiex said:

The 3DS dominance continues. As for Wii U, there's nothing to do but wait for SM3DW.

Blast

Blast said:

Super Mario 3D World will be one of the many games like Bayonetta 2, Monolih's X, Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem, Mario Kart 8, and Super Smash Bros that will save the Wii U. We just gotta deal with the low sales numbers until those games come out.

The 3DS is a beast.

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

The sales figures of Wii U in Japan make me think that maybe they know something we don't or that Nintendo have been killing puppies publicly.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Hey, Luigi's Mansion is back there. And interesting to see Beyond so high.

Caryslan

Caryslan said:

Good numbers for the 3DS, and its nice to see the Vita doing well. Both are amazing handhelds, and they both deserve to do well. As for the Wii U, I wonder if anything can save it at this point in Japan. Looks like Japan is just cold towards home consoles. I wonder if even the PS4 could make an impact over there.

Bliquid

Bliquid said:

So sorry to be that guy, but i find rather amusing how the list of WiiU savior titles always changes.
"Wait until-insert presumed system seller- comes out." So sad and funny.
Kudos to Pokemon, it is an excellent entry in the series, and deservers the sales. I'm enjoying it as much as i did with Ruby, and that's a lot.
Surprised GTA is still there, considering how different it is from the general Japanese taste.
Seems like good games are good no matter what, eh?

WitchSugoi

WitchSugoi said:

Top two are no surprise and unless SM3DW miraculously convinces Japan they should own a Wii U they'll comfortably retain those positions through the rest of the year.

AC:NL's chart longevity is ridiculous (in a good way). Nice to see Luigi's Mansion make a return.

SENSEI

SENSEI said:

I wonder if the my Japanese version of Pokemon X is included on that numbers already. My friend in Japan just bought one for me yesterday.

Windy

Windy said:

If Smash Brothers And MarioKart don't Boost Wii-U sales nothing is going to do it. I'm still waiting to buy one but don't plan to get the Wii-U for either of those games. Xenoblade maybe. If they had localized Dragon Quest X I definitely would buy. That's OK I guess 3DS is awesome and has been taking all my game time anyway. I still have a few Wii RPG's to play on backlog as well

InternetFurret

InternetFurret said:

Stop talking about smash guys... its obvious that japan will prefer the 3ds version over the wiiu version, due to the install base... There are a lot of other titles that would boost wiiu sales, but for me, smash will not be one of them.

shonenjump86

shonenjump86 said:

Cool that Pokemon is on top of the list, great game. Nice to see GTA5 on there still. I wonder what that Saint Seyia game is all about.

Senario

Senario said:

@marnelljm Because sales are the absolute dictator of if you will enjoy a console right? Seriously, I have both a 3ds and a wii u and I like both regardless of sales numbers because I enjoy the games.

nik1470

nik1470 said:

Does anyone else get the impression Japanese people like handheld gaming?

eaglebob345

eaglebob345 said:

@Bliquid The thing is that the list doesn't really change, it's just that the games people want are still not out: Bayonetta 2, X, Zelda U, Metroid U, Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem, Super Smash Bros., Mario Kart 8, Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze, Wii Fit U, and Wii Party U are not out yet. Pikmin 3 was on the list and gave a modest bump, same for Wind Waker HD an Wonderful 101, but the games anticipated by a lot more people are not coming until late 2013 to 2014. That's not to say you are wrong, however, as we did hear a lot about Wind Waker HD, Pikmin 3, and Wonderful 101 being system sellers, but not a lot of people are interested in those enough it seems, that and the severe lack of marketing for Wonderful 101 as I have never seen a television commercial for it ever.

MikeLove

MikeLove said:

@eaglebob345

Oh please.....

The original Bayonetta sold like 2.5 million copies on 150+ million PS3/360's and was considered a disappointment, so much so that no other company would give Platinum money to make a sequel other than Nintendo. Bayonetta 2 won't increase system sales AT ALL. Its a niche title.

Metroid Wii-U? Metroid hasn't been a bankable franchise since the Gamecube, and we likely won't be seeing a version on the new console until 2015, if at all.

Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem? Again, a niche title that will not have any major impact on the Wii-U's success.

I only see Zelda U and Mario Kart 8 as having a legit shot of helping the system gain some ground. And one of those games won't be out until 2014 and the other in 2015. Its not looking good at all.

Marshi

Marshi said:

Surely the japanese public are now buying 2nd or 3rd 3ds's now! Its insane!

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

To be fair I'm not suprised the Wii U isn't selling much there right now. If you were a fan of Nintendo you would be playing Monster Hunter and Pokemon on the 3ds right now as that's where the hype and major releases are atm. I'm sure Mario will give a boost to it's sales but I'm expecting Gamecube numbers, nothing more.

IceClimbers

IceClimbers said:

@FutureAlphaMale "Metroid hasn't been a bankable franchise" No. Stop right there. That attitude needs to stop. Metroid, Star Fox, F-Zero, etc. could be bankable franchises, but Nintendo refuses to promote and advertise these franchises like they do with Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, and Super Smash Bros. I don't recall there being ANY advertisement for Metroid Other M or Metroid Prime Trilogy. Wave Race could have made a ton of money for Nintendo on the Wii using the motion controls and online multiplayer like with Mario Kart Wii, but that didn't happen.

Zelda U? Pfft, based on Skyward Sword and Wind Waker HD's sales I don't expect Zelda U to do much of anything. The game probably won't sell as well as Nintendo would like. If ALBW sells well, then I might be a bit more optimistic.

Smash Bros? Won't help the Wii U at all in Japan since they will just buy the 3DS version. Might bump sales in North America if the 3DS version doesn't cannibalize sales.

X might bump sales in Japan since it's not a niche title there.

D3athBr1ng3r187

D3athBr1ng3r187 said:

@Senario Mario 3D World looks impressive and the gameplay is amazing but sadly I don't think just this one game isn't going to be enough to change the sales numbers and shift some Wii U's rather do great this xmas but maybe next year with Mario Kart or Smash as well DKTF probably.......just banking my opinions.

MikeLove

MikeLove said:

@IceClimbers

Nintendo can advertise Metroid as much as they want. It too is a niche title that doesn't attract the "casual gamer" like Mario does.

If Zelda U ends up being as large and ambitious as its expected to be, I think it will be a popular game on the system,

D3athBr1ng3r187

D3athBr1ng3r187 said:

@FutureAlphaMale I agree whole front look what happened to Star Fox, F-Zero and Wonderful 101 and the rest of the "core Nintendo titles". If these games I stated didn't have a chance on the systems what chance Bayonetta 2 has?

Bliquid

Bliquid said:

What if Nintendo stopped making games to attract this or that demographic and start making games for the sake of it?
That's how Nintendo became itself in the first place.
And i think that 100 tv commercials don't beat 100 satisfied gamers that spread the word.
So if they made a good Metroid game i'd make it a personal mission to make it sell good.

eaglebob345

eaglebob345 said:

@D3athBr1ng3r187 @FutureAlphaMale All they need to do is advertise. People said that Fire Emblem was a niche title and look where Awakening ended up. Bayonetta was clouded on FPS systems. Even if it is on NIntedno's system, which is full of Nintendo games, It can satiate those who don't want to play many Nintendo games. Also, I didn't say that all of those games would be system sellers, that is reserved for very core titles. I simply said the games people want are not out yet. For exmaple, Customer Z may not go to video game news sites. They may not even know that new video game console are out, or coming out. They could like Mario, CoD, Zelda, and Bayonetta yet no one game justifies a purchase. I didn't mean that every game is and will be a system seller, that's absurd. A system needs many games to thrive, not just one. Also, it's not exactly fair to say that Star Fox, F-Zero, and Wonderful 101 don't or didn't stand a chance when Star Fox and F-Zero have not seen home console releases in nearly a decade, and The Wonderful 101 is a new IP at the beginning of a new console's life-span. Sure, Bayonetta won't be a system seller, but it will be a helper.
Also, I never understood why people doubt a company, then act like it didn't happen when things get better. Sony and the PS3 and Nintendo and it's 8th generation offerings. Sony and Nintendo already proved them wrong once, and now PS3 is looking good, and PS4 and 3DS look to be the go to platforms for the future. At least give them time to right their ship's course before you abandon it, that's all I'm saying.
@Bliquid If they did that I would be very happy. I do hope I am wrong, and we see an HD Pokemon game for the Wii U. They do need advertising, though. If they made just one Wonderful 101 commercial with at least as much enthusiasm as they did the Pokemon X & Y commercials, they might have sold a little more.

D3athBr1ng3r187

D3athBr1ng3r187 said:

@eaglebob345 Dude facts speaks for itself so I don't doubt nothing but see what's beyond what's happening. Sadly I already abandon Nintendo's ship for now for the PS4 because of the lack of titles that I like and hardly no core consumer demographic so to say stating that everybody likes FPS is true but to an extent to the customer that like core products not just one genre of titles on other platforms so people like me that like niche games like Bayonetta or Wonderful 101 or AAA FPS like Battlefield 4 I should choose whatever I want with no complaints. Regardless i'm not bashing the console though I believe Nintendo can prove to be the best company in my eyes but I just don't see the system doing any better beyond the other consoles in the core variety demographic.

Araknie

Araknie said:

It's clear now, Japan doesn't want no more home consoles, i think only portable and pc gaming is gonna sell well there for a while.

I was looking at all 2013 weekly sales and that's the only reason for it to be like that, witch comes to my mind at least.

eaglebob345

eaglebob345 said:

@D3athBr1ng3r187 Well, hopefully we see you on the ship sometime soon. Nintendo's still gotta restock life boats after getting everyone back on from when they abandoned during the 3DS's rocky start.

Wolf_Link

Wolf_Link said:

People saying that we should wait till mk8, ssb etc... Keep on mind that everybody is saying the same thing since Lego undercover, w101, pikmin. So, I don't wanna be a party pooper but I don't think that those titles will change the tides for wii u, they didn't do it for the NGC. Anyway... Can't wait for December to receive my work bonuses! Wii u zelda bundle, a link between worlds(limited edition if it comes to America) and Symphony of the goddesses on Dec 1st!!!!