Out Now: The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD

Posted by Andy Green

Hoy, Small Fry!

The day has finally arrived: The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD is now available in Europe (and North America) as a physical release!

Back in 2003 The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker emerged on the GameCube and brought with it a fresh graphical style that divided fans completely. Instead of the traditional design seen in Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, The Wind Waker took a cel-shaded approach and even did away with the typical Hyrule Field, introducing the vast Great Sea instead.

It was still Zelda at its core, though, and it didn't take long for fans to accept this new cartoon Link and the different style of play. Indeed, Toon Link is now a predominant figure and became the design of choice for the DS adventures Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks. He's even been a playable character in Super Smash Bros. Brawl and will be returning in the upcoming Wii U and 3DS iteration.

However, as the developers have admitted in a recent Iwata Asks, it wasn't perfect and improvements have been made in this new version, including a swifter sail, which can be bought and attached to King of Red Lions to speed up the sailing sections so many complained about. Of course, the game is totally playable on the GamePad only and Miiverse is integrated with the addition of the Tingle Bottle, which can wash up on the shores of other players around the world. Some North American players have had the game for a while, as it was made available on the Wii U eShop a little earlier in the region so there are already plenty of messages to find!

The Wind Waker is regarded as the best Legend of Zelda title by many, with its luscious looks, great characters and excellent gameplay and now with the new high definition Wii U edition it looks all the more impressive.

You can have a look through our The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD review to find out more about it. Needless to say we certainly enjoyed it!

The Wind Waker HD is available in various forms. First of all there's the aforementioned eShop version and there is also a special limited edition Wii U bundle for those who haven't taken the plunge yet.

Have you set sail on your adventure already? Let us know how you're doing in the comment section below.

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

I am just about to go and pay over the odds to get this game from a shop to play it tonight :)

Moose_4

Moose_4 said:

Waiting for the Special Edition version that the postman should be bringing!

tchaten

tchaten said:

I beat this last week :) - got it day one digital here in USA - such an amazing game - my new favorite Zelda game of all-time

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

My Gamestop doesn't open until 10AM. I'm at work all day but my GS is just a block away from here. No downloading or driving!

Flowerlark

Flowerlark said:

Already have it since I preordered the limited WiiU bundle. Been enjoying my old favourite immensely, though I still view the GC version as flawless. In fact, I still prefer that version, as the overly sparkly HD graphics can be hard on the eyes at times..

MaximusMansteel

MaximusMansteel said:

Downloaded this a couple days ago. So much fun. I hope everyone can jump on board and get this game. Its just too good.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

I wish I could get it today. But since the Wii U hasn't been officially released in my country (thanks, Nintendo), stores here never carry new Wii U games day 1. Hopefully I'll get it next week.

kegluneq

kegluneq said:

yeah my pre order from amazon has been delayed. digital... no thanks. only physical copys counts for a collection. it seems stores in Portugal don't suck so much as I think and they already have the game. waiting for my girlfriend to go work later today to go buy the game. so I'll have 8 hours for my big big love today until the other love finish the work today

TreesenHauser

TreesenHauser said:

Was gonna get it today, but due to recent events I gotta wait at least two weeks to get it. I just wanna play already, I still haven't played Wind Waker at all. :(

Rafie

Rafie said:

@TreesenHauser I haven't played it either. I know I'm 10 years late, but from what I hear we'll be playing the definitive version. SWEET! I'll have mines today after I'm done working. :)

withoutdk

withoutdk said:

we preordered it.. and it should have arrived.. but no.. we have to wait for 5 more days.. thank you denmark.

Darknyht

Darknyht said:

Been playing it since day one digital release. Despite my dislike of Nintendo's digital policy, the convenience won out.

Emblem

Emblem said:

@TOMBOY25 I'm still waiting for my Amazon order to arrive, my tracking says it is in transit but normally amazon deliver first thing in the morning. I wonder what the hell is going on as other people are reporting non arrivals as well.

LeVideoGamer

LeVideoGamer said:

I want to get it, but I'm in no position to spend £45 on a game. I'll just get Lost World this month and wait for Wind Waker to drop in price.

Mayleene

Mayleene said:

@X-Factor Good for you! You are so gonna wet yourself! This game is just beautiful. Again, good for you X-Factor. I got mine last week.

Emblem

Emblem said:

Just arrived with some other stuff i had ordered :). ZELDA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bitemykite

bitemykite said:

just got surprised by the limited edition in the post with a happy birthday note from my girlfriend, she's so awesome! :D

jord91

jord91 said:

got the console bundle ,zaavi all tge way,25 pound cheaper than amazon and it arrived in time!, though i havent played it yet as im at work:/

GuruOfGreatness

GuruOfGreatness said:

Ordered mine today from GAME first thing this morning, so should be here tomorrow. In 23 years of gaming I have never played a Zelda game, so this is a brand new game to me, and a brand new gaming experience :)

ThumperUK

ThumperUK said:

Just picked up the Limited Edition with figure. Loved the original, so really looking forward to this update. However we do need Nintendo to finally start advertising the WiiU (and Wind Waker) otherwise the console will soon die completely. Wonderful 101 is an amazing game, but Nintendo UK couldn't be bothered doing any ads for it and then wonder why console sales remain pathetic! Wind Waker deserves better.

steveex

steveex said:

My order from ShopTo hasn't arrived. Normally they are really good for getting games delivered on time, but I was kinda worried when it didn't dispatch until yesterday.

sugarshaneo7

sugarshaneo7 said:

Picked my copy up at Target. saw about 5 more copies in the stack after my purchase. the target employee said I wasn't the first one in today for the game. at windfall Island now on...you guessed it...hero mode

SkywardCrowbar

SkywardCrowbar said:

Picking it up today and paying off Watch_Dogs, Super Mario 3D World, Batman Arkham Origins plus the Season Pass, and Wii Party U. Giving Gamestop allllllllllll my money today!

HopeNForever

HopeNForever said:

I dunno about you guys, but where I live right now (in the U.A.E. to be precise), our local gaming retailer actually were selling U.S. copies of this game a little earlier than anticipated, and often U.S. Nintendo games tend take a few days to be available after the official release date. I wish I took a picture proving this when I found them on shelves on October 1st.

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

Loving it. Don't tell my kids I already opened it up and checked it out. :) I now want all my favorite Gamecube games redone like this. :P

DarkAngel_17

DarkAngel_17 said:

Just got home from work. Found it on the table. Pre-ordered it from zavvi.com at a very good £38.99 price. Can't wait to start.

zool

zool said:

The Wind Waker HD.
Amazon US $49.99. UK £42.00 ($67.48)
Gamestop US $49.99 UK The Game £44.99 ($72.29)

At these UK prices, for what is an old game that as had a makeover, It's sales will be limited.

FishieFish

FishieFish said:

My limited edition Ganondorf edition shipped!

I live in Ireland so no posts on weekends so it should come on Monday!

Captain_Gonru

Captain_Gonru said:

Got my limited edition copy today. My only disappointment is the the lack of the display case dome shown in the videos. Still, totally worth it.

AdanVC

AdanVC said:

I already have the Ganondorf Figurine edition and it's AMAZING! I also love the cover of the game, the golden area is like an hologram and makes Link stand out very beautifully, it's not just golden color all over it. Details like this are the reason of why I'm still buying physical games.

Dreamcaster-X

Dreamcaster-X said:

I'm expecting my copy from UPS at any minute. I've got tonight & tomorrow all set aside for it too!!!

Jeremyx7

Jeremyx7 said:

I've had my digital copy since September 20th thanks to the bundle price drop all in one deal!! ;D

I really do love my Wii U. Been able to play ALL my wii games which I still play lots of. Also bought Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate when it was on sale for $30 which btw feels like an entirely new game with literally 5 times more content roughly than the original probably more!! Just going by new monsters, items, weapons, armor, features it's like an entirely new game almost. A new game attached with the original tri as well as fine tuned A.I. to make it more engaging.

Wonderful 101, Rayman Legends, Sonic All Star Racers, Deus Ex: HR, a number of indie games are all on my list of games to get in the near future! And that's just games coming out before 2014! Momentum is finally picking up for the Wii U and I'm loving it!

turnmebackwards

turnmebackwards said:

Just opened up my Zelda Limited Ganondorf Figurine edition but sadly I think the figurine is poorly painted mine has much paint missing & odd colour paint marks on it :( Also has a really odd black mark / scratch on middle belt part of him. Really not worth £60.00 hopefully when I get some time free from work next week I'll enjoy the game.

WanderingPB

WanderingPB said:

I was lucky enough to get mine last night @ the nintendo world store.

The reviews dont do this game justice its truly amazing u must own it to understand.

Also during the story music plays different instruments on the tv and gamepad as if watching a symphony…simply glorious!!!

kingston589

kingston589 said:

I got my copy and the case is partialy cracked and there is a tear on it. Ugh i hate gamestop.

LinkIRule

LinkIRule said:

Going to pick up my wii u on sunday, GAME are doing a fantastic deal where if you pay an extra £10 you get an accessory pack and Rayman Legends :D

Darb

Darb said:

Totally worth waiting for a physical version, the box art looks great and it's shiny to boot. I'm a little disappointed in Nintendo for purposely making us wait longer for it though.

GuruOfGreatness

GuruOfGreatness said:

Has anyone else seen the amazing console bundles that GAME are doing at the moment? To name a couple, £259.99 for the Zelda Limited Edition console, Zelda WW HD, Rayman Legends and the Starter Kit thingy, or £269.99 for the Zelda Limited Edition console, Zelda WW HD, Pikmin 3 and the Starter Kit thingy. Not to start a war or argument off about what console is better blah blah blah, but damn, compared to the other 2 coming out, Nintendo, GAME, whoever, is really offering some value for money here with some quality titles IMO. I already have a Wii U and love it to death, but as a buyer, and someone who though does not have children yet (my wife is nearly 6 months pregnant though lol), I think if I was looking for a new console out of any of the 3, or as a gift to my children, I know which one I'd be more inclined to look at.

biglee

biglee said:

I just picked up my limited edition copy of WW HD with Ganondorf figure and am on my way home to play it for the first time ever! Can't wait! Hoping this becomes my new favorite Zelda game!

Marshi

Marshi said:

@turnmebackwards Take it back mate. Got the ganondorf figurine too but mines nigh on perfect quality.Really well painted and fantastic detail.If yours isnt like the and with a big black mark on it to boot i think you can go to game and exchange it as faulty

Marshi

Marshi said:

I know its a ten year old game,and character models are basic(though still very solid) but at 1080p and incredible hd textures this really is the first wiiu game thats made me think its part of the next generation of consoles.Its so crisp and clear and i genuinely think if it was on ps3 or 360 they wouldnt be able to run the game.It looks THAT good

Senario

Senario said:

@AyeHaley If you don't like the price don't buy it. I will however be getting it since it is an amazing game. Besides, other games charge much more for a figure.

readyletsgo

readyletsgo said:

God I'm so stupid! 4 hours into playing WWHD and I turn the system off without saving, for some reason I thought it was autosaving, turns out I was wrong :-(

Oh well, I'll start again tomorrow, pity I can't skip any cut scenes.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

Bought the Limited Edition physical copy with Ganondorf figure through GameStop's website- should be here in the morning. Never played it so I'm really excited, especially since I bought the Zelda Wii U for my brother's Christmas gift and have been admiring it exquisitely for the past 2 weeks.

Bromerz

Bromerz said:

@turnmebackwards @Marshi I agree with Marshi on this one. I'm going to email game as my local store is out of stock but theres still some online. My dome came with a deep long scratch on it and a big gap on the back where his right arm links to the body with plenty of glue around it, and the purple below the belt has a lump on it which is poorly pained so you can see black through it, hopefully they can sort out sending me a replacement.

Metal_Slugger

Metal_Slugger said:

Bought a copy on ebay. I would of pre ordered but I was waiting on some ebay bucks. Perfect timing really. :)

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

Already shipped with that Ganondorf figure. Estimated delivery is Monday. Woosh!

Pro-N-Gamer

Pro-N-Gamer said:

Got the limited edition day before the release.. I love it so much! Loved the GameCube release and now with HD graphics it's even more amazing :D

nik1470

nik1470 said:

After spending some time with it I love it. The graphics are amazing way better than the sly cooper trilogy (also a cell shaded HD re-release) however having played the sly cooper trilogy recently I can't believe of similar the stealth game play is in both titles. I wonder if there is a story there.

Cohort

Cohort said:

Still waiting for mine, I pre-ordered but there seems to be a back order :(

Speaking of Cell Shading, I thought that XIII was pretty cool.