Nintendo Announces Luigi and The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds 3DS XL Models

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

New Zelda title to have reversible cover, too

While we often bemoan the absence of some particularly snazzy 3DS hardware designs in the West, we today have some happy news to share. The previously Japan-only Luigi 3DS XL model is coming to Europe on 1st November, and a special The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds 3DS XL is also being released alongside the game on 22nd November.

To begin with the Zelda model, pictured above and below, it features a design where a double triforce logo is revealed when the console is opened; this model will include a download code to receive a copy of the new game from the eShop. Nintendo's also confirmed that physical copies of the game will have a reversible front cover, with one side showing a golden version of the design and the other being in full colour.

The second confirmed 3DS XL model arrives on 1st November, and is the Luigi system that's been available in Japan for a number of months. This system will only be available via http://store.nintendo.co.uk. There's no such exclusivity with the Zelda system, so we can expect to see that in various retail outlets.

Let us know what you think of these systems and their designs in the comments below, and we'll keep our eyes peeled for news of releases in North America.

Marshi

Marshi said:

They both look amazing! Though im already a proud owner of a red 3ds xl that golden zelda 3ds xl looks too good to pass up!

McHaggis

McHaggis said:

That Zelda 3DS looks really nice. I'm happy enough with my Fire Emblem: Awakening 3DS, though. :-)

Peach64

Peach64 said:

That Zelda one is a lot nicer than most of the limited edition models they've done recently. I've just never found the idea of having one game plastered all over my console to be appealing, no matter how much I love the game.

Emblem

Emblem said:

If I didn't already have the FE limited edition I would get the Zelda one in a heartbeat.

tom_q

tom_q said:

I have instant regret for buying my limited edition Pokemon xl, I want the Zelda one!

ToneDeath

ToneDeath said:

Nintendo's special designs have been hit or miss recently; this Zelda one is definitely a hit!

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

That Zelda 3DS looks amazing. I still want Japan's Eevee 3DS though.

HaNks

HaNks said:

again...download code instead of a physical copy :/

do quite possibly want, would have preferred a black console instead of gold though. decisions...

LunaticPandora

LunaticPandora said:

@HaNks Meh if it was physical you can almost be guaranteed they would have ruined it by slapping on a giant USK logo on the front like they do for any game that comes in a big box these days, so DL or physical, it's lose-lose buying bundled systems imo.

HaNks

HaNks said:

if only the inside wasn't all gold.

i've been holding out for this bundle but now i think i'm gonna buy the silver or all black XL and zelda separately. the all black XL design is easily the nicest looking imo.

Weird

Weird said:

... game DOWNLOAD...
love you nintendo -,- usually i love nintendo and i really like the design of the new zelda 3ds xl... but i hate it that nintendo continues to fooling us with this stupid useless downloadcodes! damn it -,-
Watch the profanity please — TBD

Robottiimu2000

Robottiimu2000 said:

Why does it have to be so cool! I already have one, with stuff purchased from e-shop.. come on nintendo, bring on the unified account already, so I can have at least some excuse to my wallet on the way to the store!

Humphries90

Humphries90 said:

My God do I want that Zelda one..... But I won't be able to buy it until next summer when I get back to the UK.

Shame about the download too. I'm downloading it separately on the 3DS I have now while I'm out here in China, so I don't really need to buy it again with the console.

hamsterfactor

hamsterfactor said:

I would consider going for the Zelda one, but my white 3DS XL has already a bunch of digital downloads in it... so ironically Nintendo is at fault for not having unified accounts yet :/

gamingreal

gamingreal said:

Wow nice,
however i have the AC NL 3ds xl so im happy with that, I had ACWW skins on my ds's for years now so im glad they released an official AC edition 3ds

Squashy

Squashy said:

Beautiful, both of them! I love my red XL but I want that magical Zelda one so badly! Am I the one who's just as excited about the reversible cover? With colour or golden now everybody's happy!

readyletsgo

readyletsgo said:

My god that is beautiful! Gold outside and inside! just like the gba sp Zelda one. I totally want it but I still love my red xl to be bothered to buy this one, transfer everything over from the red one to this one then sell the red one on.

I think from now on I will wait until they actually update the system completely which could be a few years away.

Edit-I still think the Luigi one looks like a woman's clutch purse.

marakassi

marakassi said:

A Link Between Worlds 3DS XL Model looks really nice, but includes just DC version of the game? No deal with me, sorry Nintendo :/

efaulk84

efaulk84 said:

Looks like America will get these on Black Friday. I have to admit that I like the other Zelda Design more. I'm not just saying that because that is what I own.

FishieFish

FishieFish said:

@Efaulk84, I have to agree with you.
Even though I don't have the Zelda normal 3DS, I still think the design on it looks better than the XL. Both look amazing anyway.

anders190

anders190 said:

I got my black 3DS back in 2011 and have been rather interested in the 3DS XL after it was announced. Really tempted getting the Triforce-one and replace it with. So beautiful.

Romeo

Romeo said:

that Zelda 3DS XL would be really nice if it wasn't for that "gold" inside
should've been black

or a mix between gold+black, but not fully gold

ikki5

ikki5 said:

Is this not coming to NA? WHY NINTENDO. have 2 3DS's already, I'll gladly throw money at another one for the Zelda one!

adamical

adamical said:

Man, I really wanted that Luigi DSi XL in North America.

I wonder if we'll get the Zelda as well. There have been a ton of LE 3DSs this year.

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

the zelda one does look extremely nice but again no US release? and see why cant they do this with Wii U... i mean the whole design on the console thing not just on the gamepad

wcb123

wcb123 said:

@FishieFish The point being Bundles are often bought by collectors and left unopened. Not so much appeal holding onto a boxed bundle when there's only a digital copy included. Years down the line it won't work, and you don't get the nice artwork of a boxed game.

Joshers744

Joshers744 said:

The Zelda one looks awesome...too bad the ones who buy their systems first dont' get the chance to enjoy these!

Pod

Pod said:

That's the first Zelda branded hardware I've liked. And I like it a lot.

Zodiak13

Zodiak13 said:

Zelda one when it comes out, #4 in the stable when that hits. Very nice. Although explaining the need to the wife may be tricky...

JuanitoShet

JuanitoShet said:

LOVING that "A Link Between Worlds" 3DS! Now all we need is confirmation that these will come to North America as well. Even though I already have my Legend of Zelda 3DS, I'd like for others to get the chance to obtain these here as well.

...Aaaand I kinda wish I had the money for THIS new Zelda 3DS XL. (e_e)

Haha, looks fantastic!

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

Well, I read the headline and get extremely excited. I saw the LoZ 3DS XL in all it's glory and was doing backflips here on my desk.

Then I started reading the comments and quickly learned this wasn't a North American promotion. :(

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

Be mighty nice to see that Luigi 3DS XL in North America. But then again, NOA tends to be slackers when it comes to world-wide things cough Virtual Console cough.

Darth_Pascal

Darth_Pascal said:

This is why I won't add the regular 2DS to my collection just yet. I can afford to wait for a really cool one.

HaNks

HaNks said:

i believe the original zelda 3ds came with a physical copy of the game, no? though nowadays it's always the download versions. bit of a downer as the kind of people who want these special editions are often after a physical copy too...

Mainer82

Mainer82 said:

I have the 3DS Collectors edition that came with Ocarnia of time. I'd like to have this one but won't spend the $ right now.

AyeHaley

AyeHaley said:

DAMN I only have 2 system transfers left, I've been waiting for this but I don't think I can buy one...But sooo gonna try.

rjejr

rjejr said:

How do you charge them without an AC adaptor? Is that the case w/ all 3DS or just the XL? I'm pretty sure that would be a lawsuit in the making in the US.

I'm not a big Zelda fan but that gold one is sweet.

They do really need to move the face buttons down and add a 2nd thumbs tick, especially on the 2DS model which looks weird to begin with.

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

Yeah, the Zelda one is pretty rad. I almost hope that it doesn't come to North America, because I will be very, very tempted.

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

Damnit I want both of them. But I just don't have any system transfers left. Oh well guess I'm out of luck.

Jahir

Jahir said:

I hope that Zelda 3DS comes to NA! If it does maybe it'll be time to buy a 3DS XL.

Uberchu

Uberchu said:

Sold! Oh wait this is EU only... double wait I don't have the funds... tripple wait no charger in cluded? NBD for me coz I have 3 + car charger...

I'm a sucker for gold stuff, but the iPhone 5s gold didn't click on me for some reason...

kokirii

kokirii said:

Not sure about why people are complaining about already having stuff downloaded on a previous system. You can do a system transfer onto the new special edition and then either keep or sell the old one

ultimate321

ultimate321 said:

I live in canada, have a limited edition zelda 3ds and prefer the original 3ds for the better resolution and im broke. Yet if that came to na I'm not sure if I coukd resist...

ultimate321

ultimate321 said:

Unfortunately this means its a download version of the game. That alone is sort of a deal breaker too....

LinkTheHyrulian

LinkTheHyrulian said:

Might trade in my launch day 3DS and a few games along with birthday money to get this.. anyone know if GAME lets you transfer before they take the DS or do they both need to be connected to the internet

Weedy

Weedy said:

That Zelda XL looks good but I prefer the standard size, plus I'm too cheap to buy a console twice!

luckybreak

luckybreak said:

OMG that zelda one! I can't believe its actually gold on the inside too. So flashy! I want it! But I wonder if i transfer my 3ds ambassador games to the system, would the copy of the downloaded game be deleted?

JellySplat

JellySplat said:

I just bought the pokemon one! If I had wited like, TWO MONTHS I would have bought the zelda one fo' Shizzle

Klunk23

Klunk23 said:

The Zelda one is really awesome. I really want to get one, as It would go with my Ocarina of Time 3ds, but, on the other hand, that's an extra 200 dollars, and I already have a 3ds, so really I don't need it, but I love it.

Prof_Elvin_Gadd

Prof_Elvin_Gadd said:

I'd get one or both of these if they come to the US. Of course I'd just keep them in the box and show them off to my millions of friends! ;)

Melkaticox

Melkaticox said:

Sigh. Europe, of course. Because europe only is better than, I dunno, worldwide.
Nintendo needs to get its poopiedoodles together...

yvanjean

yvanjean said:

@DarkLloyd If it's anything like the Animal Crossing 3d XL bundle make sure to pre-order, there only one shipment and they sell out on day one.

Sweet, I've been waiting for a good 3ds bundle to replace my blue 3ds XL (which got one dead pixel after being dropped). This bundle was worth the wait.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

Seriously?

First Europe gets the Fire Emblem Awakening XL I wanted.
Then Europe gets the Gamepad Extended Battery I wanted.
Now Europe is getting the Luigi XL I wanted
AND Europe is getting a Zelda XL I want.

What is going on here?! Where's North America's stuff?!

Retro_on_theGo

Retro_on_theGo said:

Oh my lord.. That Zelda one is BEAUTIFUL!!! :O Ooooh..I might just get it.
Pretty sure that'll get you shot in Chicago though.

Kaine_Morrison

Kaine_Morrison said:

Ok, this says it's a Download code, other sites are saying that it is Pre-Installed.
Can we get confirmation as to which it really is, please?

DarkLloyd

DarkLloyd said:

@yvanjean i'll remeber to do that, im just wondering if i transfer everything from my launch 3ds will that make the zelda 3ds xl the ambassodor this time lol

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

That Zelda one looks great, but I'll always love my red XL. ;)

@DarkLloyd Yes, your ambassador certificate will transfer to the XL. It practically removes the soul from the 3DS and transfers it to another body. I mean it turns the new 3DS into an EXACT copy of the way your first 3DS was set up including all of your saved game data!

Retro_on_theGo

Retro_on_theGo said:

Wait!! This isn't North America!?!? :(( :( :(((( I swear i will effing hate NOA if that Zelda one doesn't come over.
Oh NL please be more specific next time. You've broken my heart.

Muyounosuke

Muyounosuke said:

Man I really hope NA gets the zelda one, been holding off on getting a 3ds XL for awhile and I may just preorder the zelda one if it comes out in NA.

Ash_Anne

Ash_Anne said:

I love the Zelda xl design but even if it came the the US I couldn't afford it and I don't want to switch from my Fire Emblem XL. My bf said he isn't opening another XL for me, made him nervous.

PaperLucario

PaperLucario said:

I might've bought the Zelda XL if it came to NA, it looks great, but I'm pretty satisfied with my Pikachu 3DSXL in all honesty.

Ash_Anne

Ash_Anne said:

@DarkLloyd No, I live in the US and I went to Europe over the summer. I saw the Fire Emblem 3ds XL for sale and I bought it. My bf switched the insides of my US xl to the Fire Emblem xl so it would play games released in the US. He doesn't want to switch the insides again, and I wouldn't have the money for the system anyways. If you switch the insides you don't have to use the transfer program, which is limited.

Ash_Anne

Ash_Anne said:

@FishieFish I still have my old XL just in case something happens to the hardware to either system. I understand that I voided the warranty so I would have to pay for anything that goes wrong with my US hardware. I let my brother barrow the system for awhile because I bought Ocarina of Time while in Europe. I wanted it because I wanted to play it in multiple languages.

Mikau94

Mikau94 said:

I will definitely buy the Zelda 3DS and a physical copy of the game if the 3DS makes it to North America.

DrRandle

DrRandle said:

The gold on the inside trim may have cut my desire for it. I like a nice black interior... we'll see!

GamerZack7

GamerZack7 said:

I was browsing the EB Games website today, and to my surprise the Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds 3DS XL bundle is coming to Australia! It would be the first time that I've had two special edition Nintendo handhelds in the same console generation (or at all, for that matter) if I asked my parents for one for Christmas.