Monster Hunter 4 Surpasses Three Million Sales in Japan

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Including download numbers

As we've reported in recent weeks, Monster Hunter 4 has been achieving particularly impressive sales since its launch in Japan, moving quickly towards Capcom's targets. The company had anticipated 2.8 million sales by the end of March 2014, yet has now confirmed that the title has already surpassed three million sales at physical retail and through download codes / direct eShop purchases.

Those are seriously impressive numbers, with Capcom also stating that the franchise as a whole has now gone past 26 million sales. Next year will also bring the 10th Anniversary of the series, so in our deepest held dreams we hope that the landmark will be accompanied by a high profile release of Monster Hunter 4 outside of Japan — time will tell.

These sales are apparently a record for a 3rd-party 3DS game in Japan, which is not only terrific news for Capcom but the wider platform, as it demonstrates the enthusiasm of the portable's growing install base.

We hope to hear of localisation soon, but in the meantime don't forget to watch us play through the opening 30 minutes of Monster Hunter 4; we'll post more videos of the game in the coming weeks.

[via capcom.co.jp, gematsu.com]

MAB

MAB said:

This would be another reason to dust off my XL and CPP... But I would rather get a superior WiiU version instead ;)

darkev9001

darkev9001 said:

what does everyone not understand... there is no wii u version, you just have to settle for the 3ds version, which can't come fast enough

XFsWorld

XFsWorld said:

@darkev9001 It's possible that there could be a WiiU version coming, just like Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, which was originally for 3DS.

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

I am happy to wait for Monolith's new RPG and just hunt the monsters in that. Hunting monsters in Xenoblade was more fun and less time consuming than MH :)

Volmun

Volmun said:

Im just hopeing it comes out to everywhere - me and my brother think thayl wate till MH4G thow like thay did with Ultimate (witch was MH3G orignaly in JPN and was 3DS excluciv)

Cohort

Cohort said:

Nintendo need to get this on Wii U, the more "must have" exclusive 3rd party games the better.

Jellitoe

Jellitoe said:

A Wii U port would be better, this looks a little too intense for the 3DS. But we take what they give us.

They can co-produce and release both to the West like they did with 3U.

They already raked in more profits than expected.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

@Amin_and_Azizah Based on what? Did the Wii U version of Ultimate sell well enough? I think this is Capcom we're talking about here. If we've learned anything they will bring out 4 on the 3ds first and milk the money before even announcing a Wii U version if at all! Im sure for now they're perfectly happy with only the 3ds version!

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

I don't see a Wii U version coming for this game, maybe the next Monster Hunter will show up on it, but not this one.

cyrus_zuo

cyrus_zuo said:

Just got Monster Hunter 3 for my 3ds two weeks ago to play w/a group at work. As a multiplayer game I'm really enjoying it!

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

Maybe they keep mentioning the March checkpoint of sorts, because if it sells like crazy (as it has and will) by then, they'll announce it over this-a-way. Fingers crossed, guys.

zionich

zionich said:

Its funny how the WiiU is being talked as superior. I understand it's just an opinion , but I fail to see what makes it superior.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@Jono97 Don't think so. The none Jap parts were (And are not) not performing but spending loads. Think they have always been ok taken as a whole.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

While a WiiU version would be nice, I don't see it coming at all. WiiU sales in general are still lacking, and releasing an HD version at this point would hurt Capcom more than it benefits them (since the MH4 has full online capabilities anyway).

yojo

yojo said:

@Nintenjoe64 While I love Xenoblade (It rotates between it and Link to the Past as my fav game ever) and Monster Hunter, they are not the same genre. MH is a action game with mmo/grinding elements. Xenoblade is a full on RPG.

ScorpionMG

ScorpionMG said:

mh4 is sure selling like crazy in japan!! and now with pokemon x & y going 4 million worldwide, thats huge!!!