Gazooks! Pokémon Favourite Charizard Can Mega Evolve Into X And Y Variants

Posted by Damien McFerran

Super effective, to say the least

It was recently revealed that Pokémon favourite Charizard can "Mega Evolve" into Mega Charizard in Pokémon X & Y — a more powerful variant of the existing monster which is incredibly adept in battle.

However, today it has been announced that Charizard actually has two Mega Evolved forms: Mega Charizard X and Mega Charizard Y. The transformation depends on which Mega Stone Charizard obtains — Charizardite X or Charizardite Y.

The previously-revealed Mega Charizard was in fact Mega Charizard Y. Mega Charizard X is a bit special, as its skin takes on a black hue, its flames turn blue and it becomes a Fire and Dragon-type Pokémon. Exciting stuff indeed.

Both Mega Charizard Y and Mega Charizard X possess some amazing moves — the latter can learn Dragon Tail, which allows it to push a rival Pokémon out of the battle and deal a large amount of damage.

Pokémon X & Y is released worldwide this month.

[via youtube.com]

Zyph

Zyph said:

That looks baddonkey! But I'm still getting Y version for Yvetal. And regular Charizard can still learn Dragon Tail via TM. :)

EDIT: Oh wait! So it depends on the Mega Stone Charizard is holding and not the version of the game? Or the X variant of the stone is exclusive to Pokemon X? :|
EDIT2: Yeah the stone can only be obtained in Pokemon X...

IKAY

IKAY said:

I start to think, Nintendo is starting to force people to buy pokemon X...

BTW: Maybe the other Mega Kanto starters will have a different sprite, too.

IKAY

IKAY said:

@Zyph Since the stones are need to be hold by the pokemon, maybe you can trade them over.

bro2dragons

bro2dragons said:

He looks cool, of course, but these mega evolutions are starting to look a bit haphazard and simply determined by how popular a given pokemon is. I guess I can't fault anyone for a business decision, but I really want it to make sense in-game and outside.

Mewtwo kinda made sense (in real life, it was the first big legendary, and in-game, it's the only legendary that was man-made, so why couldn't two forms of Mewtonite also be made?), but all the rest, no. I like that all three starters were chosen from the original (in-game they're just regular pokémon that happen to have mega forms), but then choosing Blaziken makes me just wish they gave ALL starters a mega form. Why keep me from a Mega Serperior?

And then if one non-legendary randomly has two mega forms, that seems a little unfair to all the others, too. I dunno. This bothers me more than it should, but it bothers me nonetheless.

Marakuto

Marakuto said:

I have a two Charizards that know Dragon Rush & Outrage which I'll breed again and transfer and hopefully use this time in the metagame.

Justin83593

Justin83593 said:

This is so unfair to the people who are buying Pokemon Y. I mean, LOOK AT IT!!! It's freakin amazing! Glad I chose to get Pokémon X in the first place!

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

I'm glad I'm getting both. I like the X version better. It's not that unfair, this is why trading is a big part of these games.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Good thing I'm getting X, because that black and blue Mega Charizard X looks a lot better to me.

FiveDigitLP

FiveDigitLP said:

@bro2dragons
Who said these things won't end up happening? They've just been drip feeding us information. I mean, it wasn't until a few weeks ago that we even knew there was going to be the possibility for two different Mega forms depending on the game. Maybe we'll find out that any Pokemon that can Mega-evolve will have two different forms? Or maybe we'll find out that EVER SINGLE POKEMON can Mega-evolve? (Nah, probably not.)

All I'm trying to say is that we really have no idea at this point. Just because they haven't said something is going to happen, doesn't mean it's not going to.

ikki5

ikki5 said:

and.... to think I already pre-ordered Y... well... now it is time to get both

LtAldoRaine

LtAldoRaine said:

Well,crap. I pre-ordered Y for Yveltal,in spite of all my friends also planning to buy Y. Now I'm kind of regretting it. X Charizard looks really baddonkey.

Gioku

Gioku said:

@IKAY: what you talkin' 'bout sprites? These ain't no sprites! :P

Anyway, I was getting Bulbasaur. So I wasn't planning on getting a Charizard anyway. :)

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

Ok PLEASE tell me the limit of mega evolutions is gonna be 2 per pokemon. I could not tolerate even more alternate forms added to the same pokemon in the future.

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

Well, this is just dandy. Most of my friends are getting Y, to my knowledge, so I was gonna get X just to balance things out. How very lovely.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Blue Charizard looks like Space Godzilla, very cool.

Red Charizard looks like... Charizard.

Is it just me or is Gamefreak making an extra effort this gen to get people to buy both games?

KTT

KTT said:

@bro2dragons Dude, all starters except 6th gen, gets mega evolutions. Also from each generation (except 6th) they picked 12 pokemon that can mega evolve. This includes all pseudo-legendaries except Hydreigon (I dunno why they skupped it).

LtAldoRaine

LtAldoRaine said:

Bewtween this,Mewtwo X and all my friends getting Y, just cancelled my Y pre-order and ordered X. Xerneas better be good.

bluewolf85

bluewolf85 said:

oh man.. I was plan buy New pokemon Y... now tell me New mega form!! I just want black pokemon dragon..only X! I get used it.

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

Now it got me curious about other possible XY mega forms. Just when you think you learned it all.

KTT

KTT said:

@Interneto Well apparently it seems to be fake. I apologise, I could bet it was real. Especially when the Garchomp was shown. I had not checked any source when I got the pic.

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

Charizard has finally achieved Dragon Typing.

But unless Tough Claws shoots attack through the roof Mega Charizard Y with Drought will likely be better than X version even with Dragon Typing.

Unless permanent weather has been nerfed.

deku-scrub

deku-scrub said:

Well I'm glad I was always getting X, Xerneas sold me from the start but Mega-Charizard X is just a bonus.

Morpheel

Morpheel said:

Well, they DID say it in the direct: "we had to create three models for the pokemon"

LeVideoGamer

LeVideoGamer said:

You can never have enough Charizard. Never.

I wonder if a Pokémon will use a Mega Evolution in SSB4 as a Final Smash?

Ernest_The_Crab

Ernest_The_Crab said:

@DarkKirby It hasn't been nerfed as far as I can tell. The main problem is swapping into Stealth Rocks since both of Charizard Y's types are weak to rock. Followed through with some priority attack Charizard Y is pretty much a goner. That leaves sending him in first. However, given the amount of information that we've gotten so far from the game, people will most likely be prepared for that. You'd still be better with a Drought Ninetails due to the huge number of vulnerabilities.

But yes, if Tough Claws doesn't make its physical damage skyrocket, Charizard Y will still be better than Charizard X in regards to pure damage.

pushstart89

pushstart89 said:

@bro2dragons the full mega evo's list has yet to be known but I've seen a few lists stating that every starter prior to X & Y are getting mega forms so you may just get your mega Serperior, wait and see.

DreaddJester

DreaddJester said:

LOL I love how at first EVERYONE was getting Y because it had the "cool" flagship Pokémon. Now that some of the X/Y specific mega evolves have came out everyone wants X because those look cool. I'm just waiting for early or mid next week when they show off some cool Y specific mega evolve and everyone swings back to wanting Y.

Gotta say though, I've never before seen a game that had more than one version/factions play up both variations to the point that people really can't make up their mind which one/side all the cool kids will be playing.

gregrout

gregrout said:

Some people need to know a little more about supply and demand. I'm 100% sure that both X and Y have awesome new sprites. Why? Because it's an ideal way to manipulate sales. Prior to this announcement version "Y" was hands down the runaway success. These leaves Nintendo holding a bucketful of version "X" they can't give away. If you embed highly appealing pokemon you can manipulate sales solely on what you leak. If you can't decide, then Nintendo has you exactly where they want you. These players are most likely going to get both games. Marketing 101...

Interneto

Interneto said:

@Relylp After all this "Game Freak is making everyone love Pokémon X!!" and "lolbye Y" I'm glad people still prefer Y's ones (like myself).

Skeet102

Skeet102 said:

eat your heart out y version. I think this is Nintendo's way of saying sorry for the underwhelming legendary. Here's that firedragon charizard you've always wanted. we also threw in a psychicfighting mewtwo for you as well. I just hope they do this for all the kanto starters. watersteel blastoise exclusive to X, i'll gladly take that. P.S. it took not 1 but 2, 2 tries to get the firedragon charizard everyone wanted.

MeWario

MeWario said:

Always wanted to get X cause of my love of the X-Men, but I like the more traditional Charizard better :/ Hmm

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

You guys do realize that the mega evolution stones can be traded, right? For example, if you want Yveltal and Charizard X, get Y Version and trade a Pokémon with Charizardite Y attached to a friend who will trade you Charizardite X.

The question for me (if I can get a hold of some Charizardite after picking Bulbasaur) is which one to use. Mega Charizard Y looks a lot better, while Mega Charizard X has Dragon typing and an awesome Ability.

Finally, Charizard is a Dragon type like we've always wanted! Even Iris mistook it for a Dragon type when she battled Ash's Charizard. Maybe she'll change her mind again about wanting one once she learns about its mega evolutions.

Emaan

Emaan said:

I'm liking Mega evolutions less and less these days.

I don't know. I want to think they're cool, but they're just kind of lame to me. :O

Marioman64

Marioman64 said:

the amount of pokemon suddenly grew exponentially... my chances of catching them all just died :P

Grustein

Grustein said:

so, is there any reason to choose the new starters now?
I'd like to try one of the new ones, but why chose a pokemon without megaevolutions?

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

that look freaking baddonkey! come on O_O its amazing but sadly i already preordered Y :( sadness and you know the stones will be only for that specific game unless you do some trade

hes finally a dragon!

audiobrainiac

audiobrainiac said:

I think they BOTH look amazing. I'll be happy just to have a mega charizard. Both offer a cool take on an already amazing monster. And u never know, the X and Y stones may both be available in both games. U MAY get to CHOOSE which stone u want. THAT would be awesome.

addi

addi said:

Freaking amazing Pokemon X Charizard. I want Pokemon Y though, but its getting more and more difficult to choose. But then I thought, The MEga versions are only in battle? It wont matter THAT much. I know that the battles are probably the biggest part of pokemon, but still, it wont matter that much when you think about it. I still hope Gamefreak/Nintendo will consider making some cool Mega's for Y too, it's kinda unfair. But then again, Yveltal will look freaking beast at all times, while Charizard (who is amazing without mega) will only look cooler in battles.

Xtremetdifan

Xtremetdifan said:

Two things I find hilarious:
All the people who were getting y just jumped to x
All the people who were getting fennikin just switched to froakie
I preordered x a long time ago and decided to get froakie a long time ago
(Btw the second thing I find hilarious might confuse you if you haven't seen the starter mons final evolutions... They've been leaked!)