First Screenshot Of 3DS Title IronFall Emerges, And It Looks Very Pretty

Posted by Damien McFerran

Title will "push the 3DS to its limits", according to the developer

C.O.P. The Recruit developer VD-Dev has revealed the first image of its forthcoming 3DS third-person shooter, IronFall.

The game has been described by the studio as "pushing the 3DS to its limits". It has been in production for two years and will be the company's first independently-published release — which hints at a eShop launch, rather than a physical offering. More details will be revealed on October 28th.

It certainly looks very attractive, and we can't wait to see a little more.

[via nintendoeverything.com, nintendoeverything.com]

MAB

MAB said:

It's good to see something for me to buy on the 3DS for once... Might wait for a review first though ;)

Warruz

Warruz said:

@Prof_Elvin_Gadd Of course it can be good, i just want it to be some cross in terms of scale between gears of war and Shadowrun rather then leaning towards shadowrun (which is fun for a phone game but not a 3DS)

@volmun it would be interesting if the game was set up like FireFall

CasuallyDressedStaff

CasuallyDressed said:

COP The Recruit wasn't a great game, but it was extremely impressive on a technical level. Looking forward to seeing this in the flesh.

Volmun

Volmun said:

@Warruz indeed it would prity cool and intresting to see a full blown MMO on 3DS but idk if the 3DS would be abil to do it.. then again i have a mmo on my phone so it might be posabil. (Sory for wording it wrong befor lol had to re read my coment a cupile of times befor i notest id tiped it wrong)

Warruz

Warruz said:

@Volmun I doubt we will see something like a full blown MMO, but games that fall into the MO(instead of MMO) where they are hub based like Phantasy Star or since we are talking Third person shooters Global Agenda would fit in perfectly.

Volmun

Volmun said:

@Warruz true id defntly like to see a Phantasy Star like game on 3DS. Itherway from the 1 screen shot this is looking prity good

ChessboardMan

ChessboardMan said:

Wait, this is a game priding itself on its graphics, and this is how they choose to present their first screenshot? As a photo taken at a small distance of it running on an non-XL 3DS? Did they share it using Instagram?
I'm sorry, but this is not the best way to promote your game, as it won't do your graphics justice at all!
Why bother with a screencap like this when you intend to do a proper reveal in a couple weeks anyway?

Warruz

Warruz said:

@ChessboardMan to build interest, your release a picture that just gives you barely enough but its more then you had before(which was most likely nothing). If i saw a release for Ironfall before this i would of had no interest, now i know just a tiny little bit about it which is enough for me to read or look at the pictures of the proper reveal.

ToniK

ToniK said:

Wow. If it runs smoothly, this is quite impressive. Although RE:Revelations already showed us what this handheld is capable of.
C.o.p. The recruit was totally pushing the limits of DS, so I can easily see them doing the same with 3DS. Ambition is always welcome.

AVahne

AVahne said:

It seems this dev has a history of pushing Nintendo's handhelds to their absolute limit like Shin'en. Unfortunately, unlike Shin'en, it doesn't seem like many of their games are worth playing for anything other than graphics. Hopefully they'll do better this time with gameplay and whatnot.

AVahne

AVahne said:

@Volmun
Depends on your phone and what MMO you're talking about. Your phone could very well be much more powerful than the 3DS and if we use something like Avabel Online as an example....the 3DS wouldn't be able to handle that amount of enemies and players on-screen at a time (which isn't a lot actually, but is still much more than the 3DS can handle).

Volmun

Volmun said:

@Koto cant remmeber the name off the mmo (mabe Star Legends) and my phone is a Samsung Note 1 - i notest i worded the centance wrong i ment to say might be posibil lol woopse didnt notes i missed it befor.

WinterWarm

WinterWarm said:

@FishieFish I knooow! This may sound wierd, but sometimes Nintendo's family-friendly image gets in the way, y'know?

I was so freakin' desperate for a shooter I considered buying Conduit 3DS... Before it got canned. Renegade Kid and VD-Dev are the only developer making a shooter on 3DS. :/

It has fantastic developer support, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd party, good indie support, but it needs more fleshing out with certain genres, all I get with a search "First-Person Shooter" using the advanced search feature on the eShop are those stupid rail shooters and a deer hunting game. :P

ChessboardMan

ChessboardMan said:

@Warruz but people are just as likely to squint a bit at this image, decide it reminds them of an iPhone game, and when more news of the title arrives, they'll ignore it, remembering a vague screenshot they squinted at that didn't catch their interest. First impressions are Very important.

Warruz

Warruz said:

@ChessboardMan I personally would disagree based off of my experience. Its so little information it wont leave any real impression. But here is the fun part of marketing, this conversation we are having right now is thanks to that one picture which was its goal in the first place. Get people talking and spreading the word.

@superstick i know the feeling, thats why i took care of that problem and i am currently waiting on UPS to get here with my 3DS XL :)

FritzFrapp

FritzFrapp said:

Meh.
I'll always prefer developers that concentrate on gameplay first and then add the fancy graphics. Need to see a lot more of this before I can get even remotely excited.

AVahne

AVahne said:

@Volmun
Hm, I think that phone is much better than the 3DS in processing and better in graphics, so that may be one reason why. Star Legends is a little weaker than 3DS's Heroes of Ruin visually, but again I don't think the 3DS's CPU can handle any kind of 3D MMO.

Volmun

Volmun said:

@Koto ah right its a shame but ohwell id be happy with something like the PSP (Phantasy Star Portabil) online multyplayer.

Guovssohas

Guovssohas said:

It's a good thing that the 3ds is getting at least one shooter. It certainly has potential.

Garo

Garo said:

I'm slightly intrigued since you don't see many games of this genre on the 3DS. If it turns out to be worth buying, I hope it supports the Circle Pad Pro.

Volmun

Volmun said:

@Koto yep.. well me and my brother are thinking that we (UK/EU) Wont be getting it untill theres a MH4G il be... ok... if that happend but itd be enoying lol.

Prof_Elvin_Gadd

Prof_Elvin_Gadd said:

@Warruz ShadowGun you mean? Shadowrun is a great pen and paper role playing game which has also spawned video games in the past, the first of which was an action RPG for the SNES. I'll wait until some gameplay videos are released before judging this game, and any other game really. However, what we all can say is this game is looking good graphically.

Meaty-cheeky

Meaty-cheeky said:

If this game has great online multiplayer and circle pad pro support then count me in. The 3DS is lacking in FPS style games.

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

Didn't VD-Dev do all the post HudsonSoft Mario/Wii Party series?

On topic: Pretty nice for Gears of Wars fans. There should be an option to switch to first person though. Also hoping for online play. Single player tends to grow stale in these sorts of games.

LexKitteh

LexKitteh said:

I'm normally not a big Shooter fan, but I think FPS games could work really well on the 3DS! Still hoping for Metroid, but I'll keep an eye on this too!

distantwolfx44

distantwolfx44 said:

@Warruz Haha! That was my first assumption.. when I first looked at this I was like "YES!! SHADOWGUN FOR THE 3DS!! FINALLY!!" That map looks a lot like Shadowgun too. Maybe, they used the same engine or presets/sprties... idk XD

distantwolfx44

distantwolfx44 said:

This game looks promising and seems to have a lot of potential.. It looks better than ShadowGun too (yes.. it's than not then). I would definitely get this, but if the game play/control is not greatly optimized for the 3DS.. it might be brushed off. But so far so awesome. XD

p.s... even my english teacher uses then instead of than when comparing things.. she needs to go back to elementary school.

Tony_342

Tony_342 said:

@brandonbwii You're thinking of Nd Cube.

A properly done third-person shooter on 3DS with stylus controls for aiming could be fantastic, especially if released on the eShop for a very reasonable price. I'll keep my eye on this.

ianmage1

ianmage1 said:

COP The Recruit was beautiful-looking, but played terribly. Hopefully this will not be the same.

mamp

mamp said:

That screen shot looks sexy but it's all about the gameplay so i'll keep my eye out for how this turns out.

Araknie

Araknie said:

Eh, i don't even know what gameplay has. Really, this kind of things cannot impress an old SNES player like me.

BlackStar9000

BlackStar9000 said:

@ Eveyone asking for a full MMO on 3DS, does Monster Hunter count for nothing? how about Heros of Ruin, that is a MMO if I ever seen one.