Feature: A Week of Super Smash Bros. Wii U and 3DS Screens - Issue Ten

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

A Lost World appears, Mega Man meets Pikachu, a risky flight and more

Monday's light relief is here, once again, courtesy of Masahiro Sakurai's posts on the Super Smash Bros. Director's Room on Miiverse. We may not know when we can play this game — yes, we saw the rumoured release dates, but there's not enough salt in the earth for those right now — but we can still indulge in our weekly dose of hype.

Last week was relatively light on reveals, though we did catch some snippets of info and, pleasingly, saw a new stage environment. The Windy Hill area of Sonic Lost World is confirmed for the Wii U version — and, we suspect, has good odds of being on the 3DS too — and we saw some rather nifty poses across three Wii U and two 3DS screens.

Check out last week's images below, the last of which was Sakurai-san's 100th pic of the day — gosh. You can see the original posts by clicking on the date headlines, too.

21st October

22nd October

23rd October

24th October

25th October

Some quirky and fun screens to take in this week, as well as the Sonic stage reveal. Let us know which you like the most in the poll and comments below.

What's your favourite Smash Bros. screen this week? (325 votes)

Mario has the upper hand over Kirby

13%

Mario, Pikachu, Bowser and Pit question the safety of their flight

14%

Mega Man plays a bit of "Pikachu, I see you"

18%

Sonic takes on Mario on his own territory

24%

Luigi pinches his nose to rile Mario

21%

Um, I can't decide

To be honest, I don't like any of them

Please login to vote in this poll.

Related Games

VolcanoFlames

VolcanoFlames said:

Mario takes Kirby down! SMASH BROS. 3DS!!! (Although Kirby should have done the beat down to Mario) CAN'T WAIT!!

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

Mario, Bowser, Pit, and Pikachu messing with the airplane's flight for me. That stage still looks really promising.

Hunter-D

Hunter-D said:

Kirby's body was not able to withstand Mario's fist imbued with Haki.

Yesh...

I liked last Tuesday's picture the most.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

I like 'em all, save for the first(Mario/Kirby), & third(Mega Man/Pikachu). My fav is the PilotWings stage. That would be so cool an easter egg to be able to somehow control the plane itself; would make a great unlockable,actually. Different flight paths, that could make entirely new stages. Unlockables.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@MetaRyan - That's what I was thinking, curved gravity.

Anybody know anything "new and interesting" about this game? So far i t just looks like an HD Wii version. Mario Kart 8 looks like an HD Wii version but at least we have those cool upside down areas which i think are new for a Mario Kart game. And SSBB had Supspace Emmissary, almost a complete platoforming RPG just by itself. And that 3 piece power-up.

Anything new for this game yet?

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

@rjejr: No, actually. I may be wrong, but I believe we're not being told anything; save for being drip-fed screenshots from Miiverse. Unless, isn't there an online "dojo" for this, much like there was(/maybe still is?) for Brawl? Even if there was, I'm not sure if there would be any more info leaks this time. Again though, I could be wrong.

siconlol

siconlol said:

SUPER disappointed with sakurai I wanted a Pokemon x and y character reveal seeing as this was the trend (showing characters along with their corresponding release dates) but all we got was the back of Xerneas, if sakurai is trying to pull of troll of the year he's doing a dang good job

siconlol

siconlol said:

And I love how powerful Mario looks in that 3ds screen shot :3 nice and powerful lol

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

"Sonic takes on Mario on his own territory"

I can NEVER read the word "territory" without thinking of:

JtotheY

JtotheY said:

I like the one with the plane, reminds me of the level with the Starfox ship

OdnetninAges

OdnetninAges said:

I still think it's funny that a stage from Sonic Lost World got announced before a stage from Super Mario Galaxy.

Memeboy3

Memeboy3 said:

@siconlolz We works harder than you, He made Kirby, Revived Kid Icarus, Made a MASSIVE crossover and You complain of not enough Pokekon? Why call him a troll, this is his most Stressful project, i bet 100% of Any developer in Sony's or Microsoft's team would've given up on Projects like these...

siconlol

siconlol said:

@Memeboy3 woah buddy I'm not bashing his hard work at all, I meant troll in more of him being a tease, e3 he states a possibility of mewtwo coming back, Built a pattern where certain characters are announced at a important time, Luigi with m&L:DT , Toon link with wind waker HD and sonic with S:LW , Everyone was hype to see what Pokemon was gonna be annonced , and he posts a picture of Mario and Luigi for the 1000th time Thats the biggest tease ever sure I'm dissapointed that no new character was announced but I'm not knocking him down for it if anything I'm more excited now

Memeboy3

Memeboy3 said:

@siconlolz oh...But Every new Character is revealed every month, not a week, that would ruin some suprises, but it's rewarding if the wanted character is there. We should also pay some respect to Nintendo's mascot, even though it could be annoying for being many Screenshots...but, Megaman or Sonic could be considered that at a lower extent too ;)

AVahne

AVahne said:

Off-topic, but wasn't Ironfall supposed to be formally revealed today?

Luna-Harmony

Luna-Harmony said:

Sonic's stage it's amazing to see this on nintendo after all these years. I remember the megadrive era then the snes came out and it was like sonic vs mario.

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

Sonic versus Mario WOULD be my choice, but I couldn't help picking Megaman and Pikachu instead. Because, you know, 3DS. Which I'm glad has gotten more screenshots last week.

tripunktoj

tripunktoj said:

It can be an explicit and "official reveal" of the stage, but we already knew it, It was largely featured in Sonic's reveal video, the name was the only thing missing.

Ren

Ren said:

Am I really the only one who finds nothing at all interesting about any of this despite being a fan of Nintendo IP's? So weird.

OorWullie

OorWullie said:

@Ren I'm with you bud,other than the odd pic most have been really disappointing.I really expected much better from this given it will be released well into the Wii U's life.I'm not really a Smash Bros fan but could have easily been tempted to give it another go,from what I've seen so far though I doubt I will.Maybe they will pull a SM3DW though and release a much better looking trailer closer to release?!

BAGBOY

BAGBOY said:

@Ren @OorWullie The problem is that nintendo isn't revealing anything noteworthy recently regarding smash bros. and I don't know why; with pokemon they revealed tons of info. but the game was so huge that it still retained multiple secrets. It wouldn't kill them to reveal a couple new astonishing characters or scenarios once a month, or even new pokemon, new assist trophies or even new items. At least something better than "hilarious" pics.

MadAdam81

MadAdam81 said:

After picking up Lost World today, I thought that plane was Tail's plane at first.
Considering how long until the game comes out, it's great they take the time to put up all these pics to get a bit more steam each day into that hype train.

Slayer

Slayer said:

Sonic and Mario. Really, I love it when these two fight. It seems like the ultimate character war. It will feel like the final countdown when I get my hands on this and take on Mario as Sonic.