Feature: A Week of Super Smash Bros. Wii U and 3DS Screens - Issue Seven

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Link power, flying high, Sonic's arrival and more

It's that time again, dear readers, for Super Smash Bros. screenshot goodness from the Miiverse Director's Room community, all courtesy of Masahiro Sakurai.

Last week brought another character reveal, with Sonic announced during Nintendo Direct and looking rather dashing on his profile page screens. His arrival was special enough for Sakurai-san to post an additional daily screenshot, taking our tally for the week up to six images on which to feast our eyeballs.

The Miiverse posts themselves (which you can see by clicking the headings below) were light on details, with some more interesting examples mentioning the spin attacks from Link and Toon Link being rather deadly when combined, along with the first sightings of jump springs in these entries — Mega Man gets his boost from Rush, of course. Yet for our money this is one of the stronger weeks in terms of the quality of the images, in terms of their entertainment value and their visual fidelity; this title is looking pretty. All of that is with regards to the Wii U version, however, as the 3DS didn't make an appearance last week.

So without further pre-amble, here they are.

30th September

1st October

1st October - Sonic Special

2nd October

3rd October

4th October

A nice variety to enjoy, so let us know what you think in the poll and comments below.

What's your favourite Smash Bros. screen this week? (321 votes)

Link and Toon Link dish out the pain

12%

Captain Olimar joins the Wii Fit Trainer for some exercise

Sonic dashes onto the scene with a cheeky grin

A spring jump competition between Sonic and Mega Man

24%

Toon Link looks a tad surprised

14%

Sonic bursts into Mario and Mega Man's party

35%

Um, I can't decide

To be honest, I don't like any of them

Please login to vote in this poll.

Related Games

AdanVC

AdanVC said:

The one with Mario, Sonic and Mega Man! When I saw it the first time, my jaw dropped! It's just unbelievable amazing to see the three most iconic videogame characters officially on a single image.

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

Wii Fit trainer looks bad but its (or, her) stage is much worse.

I've voted for toon Link but this week didn't bring us anything pretty.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

How could I not vote for the Mario, Mega Man, and Sonic one? Seriously; it's three iconic video game heroes coming together to battle it out. Even Toon Link is surprised, though he probably wasn't pleased that Sonic stole his character reveal thunder.

LeVideoGamer

LeVideoGamer said:

Two springs is pretty cool. Mario vs. Sonic vs. Mega Man is awesome too. There's room for one more gaming icon...

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

Were Mario and Megaman drunk at their "party"? You'd have to be to even almost get hit by Sonic's dive kick with all the start up it has.

WaveyChristmas

WaveyChristmas said:

Untitled

NIntendo are KING when it comes to art direction and getting the most out of their little consoles power. That's GRADE A visuals right there, that could very well be passable for a PS4 title. Hell it looks a lot better than that Knack sh**. Check out the larger photo of this, Toon Link's model looks Spooktacular! :*

Hunter-D

Hunter-D said:

Mario. Sonic & Mega Man all together in the same game.
Big moment in video gaming history.

Smash Bros FTW!

Rafie

Rafie said:

Voted for the "jump and freeze" 80's shot from Mega Man and Sonic! Very epic. Actually, all the pics were fantastic.

That Mario and Mega Man were like, "Don't step on my kicks!!!!" LOL

idork99

idork99 said:

@Chris720 It seems that they only show one 3DS screen shot every two weeks. I wonder why they show way more Wii U screenshots than the 3DS?

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

Mario, Mega Man, and Sonic.

It's funny...In that picture it looks like Mega Man is jumping around screaming like a monkey. :D

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

If Namco is helping with development, I NEED to see Pac-Man and my life will be complete.

rjejr

rjejr said:

I voted for the first screenshot b/ cToon link looks like an actual 3D plastic toy rather than a 2D cell shaded cartoon. And whatever is going in w/ those purple expolsions.

Does anybody know what is going on w those purple explosions? Is it a game thing or a Link special move? Anybody know if that's an in engine game screenshot or a cut scene. It looks really good.

And who are they hitting in the middle, just noticed the 2 hands.

WaveyChristmas

WaveyChristmas said:

@Longforgotten

yup! I think Ninendo is going to almost be reaching a mute point in visuals next gen. I mean honestly, Toon link(along with Kirby,Mario) ect can't get that much better now. SSB U's CG Cutscenes will be the end of how great the characters i mentioned above will look. they wont go beyond that of a modern day pixar film! :*

rjejr

rjejr said:

@Longforgotten - Donkey Kong sounds good. I was thinking big like Bowser or Ganadorf but DK is more likely judging by the fingers. I have no idea where the rest of him is though.

FJOJR

FJOJR said:

That one with Sonic, Mario & Mega Man would blow minds if I had a time machine to go back to the 90s.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

For those wondering where the 3DS screenshots are, I personally think the Wii U version is farther along in development, so that version has far more screenshots.

PerezBro99

PerezBro99 said:

Only if we could get one more classic character, that came from the arcades, that likes to eat ghosts, and is round and yellow????

Memeboy3

Memeboy3 said:

I wonder if there are still peeved off that SSB4 won't have story mode...:3
Still buying it.... for me,It's too good to say ''1 less game for me''.

Memeboy3

Memeboy3 said:

@PerezBro99 i heard that Sakurai said said he won't use Namco characters in the games, i think...what's so big about pac man, the show in Disney XD ruined him for me...in my opinion, it would be kinda' out of place... :/

PerezBro99

PerezBro99 said:

@Memeboy3

They ruined the pac-man franchise when the second game came out. However, it would be nice to see 4 retro classic characters duke-it-out in a fight.

I'm still hoping for little Mac to be in the game🙏

EpicJonah

EpicJonah said:

" Sonic announced during Nintendo Direct and looking rather dashing on his profile page." I see what you did there.

Volke93

Volke93 said:

Sorry I ask here but.... can you explain me why here on Nintendolife (and not only) there's a MASSIVE hate against the 3ds?

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

@Volke93: Are you serious? I have never seen any hatred here at all toward the 3DS. What leads you to that assumption?

Volke93

Volke93 said:

@DestinyMan: you and others haven't noticed at all, but every videogame sites I've seen recentely is FULL of 3ds haters... (there are even some here). Keep your eyes open, they are everywhere.

Slayer

Slayer said:

Mario, Sonic, and Mega Man. I absolutely love crossovers and when I see those three from the three best game characters in my opinion, I think "Well, this game will be EPIC!"

LightSuitGuy

LightSuitGuy said:

Obviously the Mario, Sonic, and Mega Man one.

Also, I don't get why so many are against Pac-Man being included, he's every bit as iconic as they are. If its about movesets, look at characters like Olimar; how many of his attacks involve not using Pikmin?

LordGeovanni

LordGeovanni said:

Is it sad that when I looked at these I started rating them like I was Professor Oak from Pokemon Snap? Something tells me I want a sequel after all...

Gameday

Gameday said:

I usually dont vote but i voted and then looked and so far i had the same thought as everyone else. Waiting on a new character that shall blow everyone away. Ha why do i get the feeling that dixie kong is going to make it into the scene specially since she's in the Kong Game and being the game needs more female players ?

Either way im tired of seeing the same ole same ole. It was special when you announced the Fit Trainer and Mega Man but other than that why would anyone really really want to see their same old character line up ? Id just assume the original cast is there so no need to show them really and one else agree ? I mean you can mention them but surely making a big deal when they probably were in the first 2 or 3 games ~ Toon Link im surprised at to be honest but then again what game just came out lol