Feature: A Week of Super Smash Bros. Wii U and 3DS Screens - Issue Eight

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Sonic kicks in, Wii Fit Trainer chills out, Pit battles Samus and more

No Monday would be complete without a fresh dose of Super Smash Bros. screenshots, courtesy of Masahiro Sakurai's efforts on the Miiverse Director's Room community. We don't know when the game will arrive — apart from a vague 2014 window — but we'll happily feast our eyes on more screens.

Last week's screens didn't include any character reveals, so instead Sakurai-san focused on some details, while also throwing in a 3DS screen for portable gaming fans. We have a look at Fox McCloud's rather snazzy blaster that opens up, we learn that Link's shield has a slight impact backwards when blocking attacks, and we see Sonic's standard attack (called PPK) that rounds off with a side kick. There's also a picture of the Wii Fit Trainer relaxing while flying over Wuhu Island, and if you look closely we think you'll spot a retro island possibly inspired by Pilotwings.

Check them all out below, and you can see the original Miiverse posts by clicking on the date headings.

7th October

8th October

9th October

10th October

11th October

So there you have it, some attractive and revealing screens to gawk upon. Let us know which catch your eye in the poll and comments below.

What's your favourite Smash Bros. screen this week? (350 votes)

Fox breaking out the big gun

16%

Sonic kicking off with Bowser

10%

Pit and Samus going head to head

Toon Link goes for the explosive approach with Link

18%

Wii Fit Trainer casually chills out on a plane

45%

Um, I can't decide

To be honest, I don't like any of them

Please login to vote in this poll.

Related Games

Ichiban

Ichiban said:

Starfox has finally had enough of being in the shadows if that pic is anything to go by!

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

Thinking we should get another character reveal soon, in the next week or two.
Not really sure what new characters will pop up, though I'm sure that Krohm or Lukina, (or is it Lucina? I don't remember the westernized names) should be revealed soon. I'd love for them both to be in.

What I'm really nervous about is the redesigned Zelda. I'd love for it to not be changed too much from the Wii version. That design was really cool looking. Skyward Sword's Zelda was a bit...you know, wimpy, especially compared with Twilight Princess' Zelda.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

I don't know what to vote for this week. None of them are really that spectacular and special. I guess that's what happens when you have a week go by with no character reveal, as the past three weeks had one each.

Diz93

Diz93 said:

I really like Fox, but I hate this art style of him, he just looks awkward. I miss the Melee version of him. I also really liked the Starfox Assault version of him. @King_Boo Your right it does look like wood. Hopefully theyll fix that before the game is released

zoroarkrules25

zoroarkrules25 said:

I like the toon link and link one the best. The Wii Fit Trainer's is funny though. I hope this week we get mewtwo or pokemon trainer revealed for x and y though.

Ernest_The_Crab

Ernest_The_Crab said:

@Tsuchinoko Well that seems normal. Skyward Sword's Zelda existed during peacetime and Twilight Princess' Zelda existed during a period of extreme turmoil.

She'll probably be based off of OoT or TP (most likely from here judging by the version of Link they used), though I'm pretty sure regardless of which version it is, the colour palette will be brightened up to make her fit better with the rest of the Smash Bros colour scheme.

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

@Ernest_The_Crab Yeah, that would be nice.

What would be cool, and I highly doubt they would do this, is instead of color swaps for alternate costumes, they used actual alternate costumes for the characters, for example a few of the various Zelda designs, or maybe for Mario his different colors for his upgrades like the fire flower or metal mario.
Skyward Sword Zelda's design was cute for that game, but for fighting, showing a tough Zelda, the Twilight Zelda was the best.

Goginho

Goginho said:

I remeber that tent :) ..racing the Postman back to thr Kokiri Forest. Hah good times.

Jellitoe

Jellitoe said:

@Tsuchinoko

That would be pretty awesome, metallic Mario would look awesome and Toon Link in his Lobster Blue shirt would be cool. Then we could have Zelda in either the newer dress or the old favorite. Another person that has had pretty cool different costumes is Samus.

2Sang

2Sang said:

I was expecting a pokemon to be revealed either Friday or today. Guess not.

Nico07

Nico07 said:

With a game this polished you would think it would be releasing sooner than mid 2014. Hopefully in January or February we get a Smash Brother direct announcing it as a download ready that day, with retail purchase available shortly afterward.

Nico07

Nico07 said:

Anyone else notice the Pilotwings retro SNES island in the shot with the Wii Fit Trainer? I'm sure its what caught eveyone's eye right?

Rafie

Rafie said:

I liked the Wii Fit trainer pic and the super sonic kick to Bowser's mouth! :)

Makyurax

Makyurax said:

wait a moment... just behind the Wii Fit Trainer there is the Pilotwings island... It bring back so many memories

Ernest_The_Crab

Ernest_The_Crab said:

@Tsuchinoko Actually, Mario's Fire Flower colour scheme was already in Brawl. I think he had a Wario colour scheme as well.

The biggest problem with offering more than colour swaps is the animation and reflections/lighting. Unless, the outfits are equally as tight as the original or follow the same lighting treatment there could be problems, especially with that many characters.

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

I voted for the 3DS screenshot. I liked the one where Bowser got a broken jaw though!

I just about figured the last one would be the most voted.

Donjwolf

Donjwolf said:

Don't really care for any of those, but I wish they chose a better design for Fox. Looks like they used him from Star Fox Command. The original design (the puppets) was the best. They should've used that.

Austroid

Austroid said:

Samus vs. Pit, because Samus needs more love and attention. Enough with Toon Link every week already!

Ren

Ren said:

amazing! Another full feature dedicated to pictures of a game series that was never interesting, exciting or innovative in any way and a new sequel that will continue to be talked about by the adolescent fans all the way until it's release so far after the poor WiiU launch that we'll all be able to get a yellowed 'basic' set for $20 at a garage sale to play it on. Interesting. (back to 3ds)

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

@Bluerobin2 More like "YEAH!" That looks like a bona fide Jacky PPK. I remember reading that Sakurai took some influence from Virtua Fighter for some of Sonic's moves. Jacky Bryant's style is a perfect fit for Sonic, anyway.

DimetriWarrior

DimetriWarrior said:

Why don't you use the descriptions of the pictures on MiiVerse instead of making up your own? (P.S. Not trying to be rude.)

HaastMK7

HaastMK7 said:

you only managed to get 1 screen shot for the 3DS, please fix the title to ' Wii U screens " ;l

mch

mch said:

Love the details!
..yes, including the Wii Fit U Trainger pic ;-)
Voted for Fox McCloud

TheGreatGamer

TheGreatGamer said:

I am predicting the game will come out at March-June 2014, would be great if so because I can play it before summer (if it at march or april, or may) or at least during summer. A lot of my friends loved the Brawl, video gamer or not, you still gotta love the game. Super Smash Bros Brawl was the #1 game of the year it was released. Let's get pumped up for this!