Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut Finally Dated for Wii U

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Alongside other platforms

To be blunt, the reveal of Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut seemed a bit off when it was due near the Wii U's launch, as it was one of the oldest ports being mooted for the system — even if it fixes troublesome sequences and GamePad features are part of the deal. Publisher Square Enix then went quiet on a release date, before confirming that it'd also come to PC, PS3 and Xbox 360.

It's now been confirmed that the title will arrive on all platforms on 22nd October in North America and 25th October in Europe. It'll use the second-screen of the GamePad, naturally, while the 360 and PS3 versions will apparently utilise SmartGlass and the PS Vita, respectively. While an improved version of what was a thoroughly decent game is welcome, we can't help but wonder whether it'll be buried by the wave of new releases over the coming months.

That announcement followed confirmation of a planned Deus Ex: Universe range of products, with the name incorporating new games, apps and even graphic novels. PC and console versions will be included for the next game in the franchise, though considering the sketchy release course of the Director's Cut on the Wii U, we'd advise caution in expecting the next game to come to Nintendo's system; naturally we hope it will.

Are you still interested in Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut on Wii U? Perhaps the trailer below will help you decide.

[via eurogamer.net]

CrabGats

CrabGats said:

yeah of course, it's not like they're OMITTING FEATURES or anything.

I'm debating on preordering it or getting it off of Amazon for cheap in a couple of months. I'm not sure if it's a game I'd enjoy.

SyntheticPerson

SyntheticPerson said:

I would really recommend this game to anyone. You can play as an action game, or you can go the stealthy route. I played this on the Xbox 360 and loved every minute of it. I will certainly be buying the Wii U Director's Cut to experience this game again!

kkslider5552000

kkslider5552000 said:

@CrabGats It's a non-linear stealth/action game. Does a very good job at letting you decide how much stealth and how much action you use. That and the setting are the entire explanation of why you will or will not enjoy the game.

Sentinator

Sentinator said:

You know, if Square Enix wanted to send something to die on my system, I would have preferred it to be Tomb Raider. It looks like it would be better suited to the gamepad.

AyeHaley

AyeHaley said:

I want it but only if its less than 30 euros.
edit after watching trailer: ok maybe 40.

Samurairu

Samurairu said:

Maybe I'll buy it, when it's $10 like all the other 3rd party games which are all remakes or ports.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

Leaving the WiiU version out of the picture, we get:
A re-release of an old and popular game that nearly everyone interested in the genre already played using features that need gadgets that almost no one has. What kind of logic is that ? So you need to buy overpriced gadgets to even use the enhanced features and for everyone out there that doesnt have a PS3/Vita combo or this smart glass thingy, its basicly just a reprint...
The thing with reprints is though, that they are most often made with slightly rare games, that had a small initial print that didnt satisfy the demand, but this game sold pretty well on every system.
Enhancing it with dual screen things was a wise choice when it was targeted for the WiiU because, well, it made a lot of sense. It wasnt released on that system and it would be a supeior version.
But draging it out so long and doing it for systems that arent even remotly set up for these enhancements will probably end up costing more in prints than it will make in sales.
Didnt square complain about exactly that problem a couple of weeks ago ?

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

"PC and console versions will be included for the next game in the franchise, though considering the sketchy release course of the Director's Cut on the Wii U, we'd advise caution in expecting the next game to come to Nintendo's system; naturally we hope it will."

Did this REALLY need to be said. Funny. Then of course you guys end it with "naturally we hope not." All this does is fuel Nintendo fans' rage against 3rd parties.

Nintendo Life: "Maybe you should ignore this game, but, wow, look at all that Indie Cade stuff!"

Sceptic

Sceptic said:

@Einherjar: I would bet they got some cash from Sony and Microsoft to implement dual displays as a proof of concept and to show the WiiU Gamepad emperor has no clothes.

Especially SmartGlass only requires a phone, tablet or Win8 laptop. Everybody has one or the other in the house. Or both. Or several of both. When this launches, the whole WiiU Gamepad novelty will be history. SmartGlass in particular is a much more elegant solution, even if it doesn't cover 100% of what the gamepad does.

TooManyToasters

TooManyToasters said:

If this means more Square Enix support for Wii U in the future, I'd be satisfied. But I've a feeling Yoshinori Kitase-kun, the producer of those overhyped new Final Fantasy titles, is secretly laughing diabolically at us behind our backs.

wombatkidd

wombatkidd said:

They're charging 20 bucks more for the Wii U version than for other versions for no reason. No buy from me until I can get it the same price as on the 360 and ps3

Reala

Reala said:

Hoping they offer some incentive for owners of the current version on steam to get the new one.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

@Sceptic I wouldnt call it more "elegant" if you need another device next to the controller itself and a smartphone holder that can be mounted on the controller would be utterly ridiculous.

JustinH

JustinH said:

What is the price on this crazy thing?

Might get it after Christmas. October is waaaaaay too busy as it is.

Dreamcaster-X

Dreamcaster-X said:

I saw this last night & I was SHOCKED because it sort of came out of nowhere. I pre-ordered it back in March & just assumed it got pushed back to next year. Dunno if it's the best time for Square to release it but I'll take it!!! Looking forward to replaying it with the Wii U additions and DLC which I missed out on the first time around.

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

I loved Deus Ex: Human Revolution, it is in my opinion, one of the best stealth games ever made (if you choose to play stealth, as going through levels guns blazing was absurdly easy and ruins the game) and one of the games that best created a world that felt "alive". The story is not simply shoved in your face with cut scenes as many games do, it is by exploring, reading emails, listening to the radio, that you see what is really happening.

But is it worth a 2nd purchase? I'm still not sure. And if I were to purchase it again, it would probably be for PC again, as I prefer my 1st person games on PC.

Samurai_Goroh

Samurai_Goroh said:

I am seriously considering this, I've never played Deus Ex but looks like I've been missing a lot. Amazon UK has this listed for only £24, which is an almost irresistible price. Don't know about the US pricing, though. I wouldn't pay 50 bucks for it, is it possible that for once Europe is getting a better deal than US?

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

@Samurai_Goroh

If you like stealth games with a good story, and games that reward you for exploring, not just for exp, but story too, get Deus Ex: Human Revolution. If you can afford it, you probably should get the updated version, as it comes with the DLC. You can play the game guns blazing, likely done to "increase the target audience", but the game is absurdly easy doing so.

I personally went through the game with no kills, just the way I play metal Gear games. I think the reason I didn't get no detection was I insisted on killing the robots for the massive exp. they give, but even when you kill them instantly they set off the alarm for 1/2 a second even if everyone else in the area is knocked out/dead.

Jeremyx7

Jeremyx7 said:

@Thomas Whitehead - "a thoroughly decent game is welcome"

I really do hate putting people on the spot but I feel I must make known how much I respectfully disagree with your statement. This is FAR MORE than just a decent game. 90% of the games out today aren't even close to how well crafted this game is. This is a superbly excellent game that was crafted with great thought & execution. Deus Ex: H.R. deserves a ton of credit. I appreciate the article overall still. ;3

DESS-M-8

DESS-M-8 said:

I own the digital version on PSN. Played it for 1 hour and never again, brilliant and deep game, there were just bigger games at the time that intended up playing.
I would be interested in the Wii U version but would not pay more than £29.99 for it on the eshop.
This game was dropped to £9.99 not 2 months after its original release. Buying it day one would be a mistake.

DESS-M-8

DESS-M-8 said:

If this had have released 6 months ago, when it was complete,it would have sold very well.
Releasing a 2 year old port and a delayed one at that, in the same month as Zelda HD, Sonic Lost World, Pokemon X/Y, New Batman and month before assassins crews 4, call of duty ghosts and watchdogs? Just seems a tad silly and it WILL drown under this wave of AAA titles, which is a shame as its a phenomenal game. It will only sell when they drop the price, at £49.99 or even £39.99, they'll shift virtually none

Lo3edia

Lo3edia said:

I was ready to buy this game last March, April when they were teasing it as 'coming soon'. Now it's going up against my dollars for Batman, AC IV, Watch Dogs, Mario etc. IF i pick this up, it will likely be in a discount bin a year from now, or at the best after Christmas. Kinda annoyed actually, that it took them so long to get this out. Looks awesome though.

ChosenOne25

ChosenOne25 said:

Nobody should be complaining here, you are getting a 3rd party AAA game on a Nintendo console that smartly uses the gamepad's features. Many Nintendogamers have never had the chance to play this, but now they do, with te ultimate version of the game. Who cares whether its old or not, we are getting more great 3rd party content, everybody should be happy.

Peach64

Peach64 said:

People are saying it will get buried but it's a better game than almost everything being released this holiday on any platform. Fantastic game.

@DESS-M-8 it's £23.99 on Amazon.

ikki5

ikki5 said:

I'll wait until the game is $20, I'm a little skeptical now that it is multiplat... a version that was "made" for the Wii U going to other platforms.

LDXD

LDXD said:

This is one of those games that slipped pass me so I will be picking this up for the Wii u I keep hearing how great it is and it looks fantastic
Quit complaining people geesh :/

ACK

ACK said:

The original is one of my all-time favorites, so this is welcome. However, similar to Rayman Legends, it's hard not to be turned off by the sketchy course to release. Remember when Square teased a Wii U exclusive last Winter?

The whole thing feels like a bad parody (seriously would anybody have been surprised if Square Enix simply played it as an April fools at the expense of Wii U owners? Would have been appropriate), but if leads to some thrills that even just help recall the greatness of Deus Ex... Then I will be satisfied.

Actually this is one of those dates games that feels marketed specifically to me and few else.

Samurai_Goroh

Samurai_Goroh said:

Everyone whining about this being a 2 year old game: It's 24 quid on Amazon!! So clearly, Square-Enix understands that this is a 2 year old game and that it would not be reasonable to charge full price for it, even to goofy Nintendo costumers. They did the sensible thing here, we're being treated fair and Square.

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

As much as we want new games, I don't think a rerelease is exactly a bad thing. It looks like it uses the GamePad pretty well, plus the other fixes across the game.

I might buy it, because I never played the first version, but it definitely is a hard sell against the new games coming out this holiday.

LDXD

LDXD said:

@Peach64 I think that's for the 360 and ps3 versions its still $49.99 on amazon for the Wii u version and its $29.96 for 360/ps3 for some reason :(

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@Sceptic
The gamepad will not be "history". It will very much STAY an integral part of the Wii U console, and will continue to shine for years to come with inventive uses and gameplay implementations. Just because ONE game attempts to mimic the gamepad's usefulness, doesn't magically render it obsolete.

The gamepad does a lot more than smartglass or even Vita for that matter (I own both, and am quite familiar with what each one can and cannot do), and this is key: it's available on every single Wii U console. So developers will use it, and develop with it in mind. No one's going to develop games with dual screen mechanics for other consoles when there's little chance they will own the necessary hardware to play said games. Just like the PS4 camera argument. If it's not mandatory, it won't get used.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

There's nothing wrong with re-releases or ports. Sure, we all want new games, but new games PLUS re-releases and ports is obviously more on the menu. And just because a game isn't new doesn't make it illegitimate. As long as I haven't played a game, it's new TO ME. And that's what matters.

I don't care how long this game's been around- I've never played it, so the fact it's a "re-release" or a "port" is falling on deaf ears as far as I'm concerned. I do not care. Being either of those two things does not make a game any less fun, or any less worthy of being bought.

Pre ordered and purchased. I'll have 3 days to enjoy this game before Batman Arkham Origins comes out, then 4 days to enjoy that game before Assassin's Creed 4 and Sonic Lost World release together. And then the mighty November in all its Wii U and 3DS glory will finally be upon us.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@ikki5
So what? That's irrelevant to how great and fun the game will be if you buy it.

If they want to hedge their bets (as many 3rd parties are doing now- just look at Rayman Legends), let them. Doesn't detract from how awesome the game will be for us.

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

I'm surprised this game was so successful to get a successor. I've been waiting for it, eventhough the exclusivity agreement obviously fell through.

gojiguy

gojiguy said:

I don't know how I feel about this. I was interested, then it went multiplat, took to long to get a release date, and now its up against ACIV and Watch_Dogs.

Who launches a years-old port in Q4?

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Maybe later on. As most of you have mentioned already, there are way too many games in October. And that is not caring about ACIV and Batman.

CaPPa

CaPPa said:

I would have bought the HR DC on day one had they released it earlier in the year, but now I have a pretty packed lineup of games for the rest of the year and I'm doubtful as to whether I'll have the time/money for it.

It annoys me that games get delayed so they can port to the 360/PS3 because the 'fans' were asking for it, but then don't bother buying it (like with Rayman Legends). Just release them on Wii U and then bring out the 360/PS3 versions later.

@Sceptic
Not everyone has a smart phone, tablet or Windows 8 laptop. We don't have any of those (my wife did have a tablet but I sat on it and broke it). Smartglass is certainly not a 'more elegant' solution either (unless you happen to have 4 arms). Not only does it not offer all of the features of the GamePad, it is also subject to lag or disconnections due to being web based and requires you to juggle controllers. That is more cumbersome than elegant.

RantingThespian

RantingThespian said:

I wish this would have stayed a Wii U exclusive.

I have yet to play any Dues Ex games, so I think I'll buy it and see what they are like.

darklinkinfinite

darklinkinfinite said:

I really want to get this on Wii U. I have the original game on 360 but I never finished it. I pre-ordered this on Amazon when it was announced but cancelled it a few days ago when I saw that it's $30 on PS3 and 360 but $50 on Wii U. Went ahead and pre-ordered the Duck Tales retail release instead. i'll just have to pick this up when its down to $30

DrRandle

DrRandle said:

Eh. I'll pick it up anyway. I never got around to playing much of the original so this'll be a good excuse to. I'm glad they fixed the boss fights that made me put it down to begin with.

Relias

Relias said:

It looks good.. but I really wish Square Enix would have made a new game instead.. like a Offline Dragonquest.. or maybe announce they are bringing KH3 to Wii U.. :( in a way this looks good.. but I can't help but feel disappointed..

Relias

Relias said:

@Sceptic but you forget.. with the Wii U you get the Gamepad in the box.. so if you have a Wii U.. you get a Gamepad.. and all it's features.. unlike Smartglass.. besides.. your wrong on everybody having one of those things.. I know a lot of people that don't have those things...now if it worked on a Blu Ray Player then yeah I can say everyone has one.. (Also I think it only works on Windows Phones.. and Tablets.. neither of which are very popular.. )
Watch the profanity please — TBD

ToniK

ToniK said:

I pre-ordered this in July, glad it's finally arriving :D Just under 30 euros, which is nice. The original is one of my all-time favorites so of course I'm thrilled about this one as well. Be a remake, I don't care.

Ducutzu

Ducutzu said:

I also preordered this game, back in June. I'm very happy that it is arriving, and at a decent price too!

mch

mch said:

Shame it didn't launch earlier on Wii U compared to the other systems.
I will get it though - have never played it before and in that case it sounds like a must have.

SirMime

SirMime said:

Owned/played through it before, but that only makes me want the WiiU version of the Director's cut even more. We've certainly been waiting a long time for this to actually come out. Wasn't it shown off at shows at the start of the year and originally pinned for an April(ish) release? Ah well the 25th is going to be a busy day/weekend what with this WiiU Party and Arkham Origins coming out.

PinkSpider

PinkSpider said:

I have had this on preorder from amazon for £22.99 but im unsure if I'm still bothered anymore. Can anyone reccomemd it? The price seems good but there's so much other stuff on the horizon

ULTRA-64

ULTRA-64 said:

Would have been perfect 6 months ago! I only buy Nintendo so this is my chance to play a definitive version of a well respected game I'd otherwise have missed out on. Just baffled they held of on the Wii u version for a release alongside consoles that already have the game available , makes no commercial sense!?!

Reverandjames

Reverandjames said:

@PinkSpider Not sure about this one, I got to the last boss on the Xbox 360 version but never managed to finish. I for one, thought it was a great game, and had no problem with the boss battles being repetitive or whatever (apart from the last boss of course), but I don't know if I would play it through all over again.

Then again, if you have never played it before, it is a really great game and gives you quite a lot of choices to go on your own path and become whatever type of agent you want.

andreoni79

andreoni79 said:

Deus Ex Human Revolution Director's Cut Fanboy Edition
WiiU customers get fooled again, and some are happy about that...

Samurai_Goroh

Samurai_Goroh said:

@andreoni79
Care to elaborate, dear sir? How are Wii U costumers being fooled with the opportunity to purchase a critically-acclaimed non-linear stealth game with improved boss battles balance, extra content included and GamePad integration for a measly €30? Feels nice to be fooled like this, I have to confess.

wombatkidd

wombatkidd said:

@ChosenOne25 "Nobody should be complaining here, you are getting a 3rd party AAA game on a Nintendo console that smartly uses the gamepad's features."

And costs 40% more than the EXACT SAME GAME on other consoles. Yeah, I'm gonna complain about that. Thanks.

@Samurai_Goroh

That's great for you guys in the UK, but not true here in NA.

It's $50 compared to $30 on other platforms.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

If it's going to be like £30 in eShop then there's a possibility, but I have a third-person action title in the form of Ninja Gaiden 3 and I'm just not sure I need another one. Plus I absolutely have to get Super Mario 3D World, Wii U Party and Wii Fit U - so glad Donkey Kong got delayed! Damn there's Zelda too - would have been nice to have this stuff spaced out over the year!

Samurai_Goroh

Samurai_Goroh said:

@andreoni79 At least on Amazon it is. Truth to be told, I don't know how I would get games for my Nintendo's if I hadn't the chance of importing from the UK. Here in Portugal, the games are expensive as heck, probably the same prices as on Italy. The only thing that makes me sad it that Nintendo is now taking its first steps in localising some games to Portuguese, and if I bought them on the UK, I wouldn't have the Portuguese version. But third-parties are a no-brainer.
Most competitive market for videogames on the EU, period. Rule Britannia.

Kifa

Kifa said:

I have considered this game, but in the end I will buy it on Wii U only if:
a) There will be no "upgrade" option for existing PC version owners (I happen to have both the game and the add-on on my Steam), and
b) Wii U version will be graphically on par with PC version (max detail and DX11 features that is)
The latter will probably not happen and it will look significantly worse, not to mention lower framerates. So I'm probably not supporting Wii U with this title anymore - if it were an exclusive, then it might have been another story...

LDXD

LDXD said:

Yeah this bothers me that this game is $50 for the Wii u version and $30 for 360/ps3 version how do you explain that garbage!

PerezBro99

PerezBro99 said:

This looks like batman arkham city, so I might be picking it up. But right now I got to sail to gamestop and pick up my zelda👌

Kifa

Kifa said:

@PerezBro99 Trust me, Deus Ex has NOTHING in common with Arkham games. It's not even technically an action beat-em-up, rather an RPG. It's like comparing Pikmin 3 to The Wonderful 101...

MussakkuLaden

MussakkuLaden said:

I was totally hyped for that game half a year ago, but now my anticipation has somehow faded. I will still buy it, no doubt about it, but as I don't even own Rayman and 101 yet, it may not happen on day one.

LDXD

LDXD said:

@Cohort yeah looks like I'm gonna wait to get it, I just don't understand the price difference here in the states I can see a few bucks but 20 na

Cohort

Cohort said:

@LDXD You could buy Rayman Legends at £26 before it was even released at some UK sites, then Amazon dropped it to £20.99 after a week or so, they did a similar thing with Splinter Cell too. One week I bought three brand new Wii U games for around £60, which I was very happy about...

The prices seem to fluctuate here for some reason, just had a quick look and Rayman is now back up to £31.99...

LDXD

LDXD said:

@Cohort yeah I'm gonna have to check Amazon more often they seem to have some amazing deals sometimes

Cohort

Cohort said:

@LDXD There's a blog I follow that's not been up long, they post Wii U bargains, its only UK prices though...

andreoni79

andreoni79 said:

I made a quick comparative search:
Amazon sell Deus ex for $49 in the US, $39 (£24) in UK, $53 (€39) in France and Germany, $60 (€45) in Italy...
What?

Ailingforale

Ailingforale said:

@Kifa I played this at Pax on the Wii U when I played it originally on the PC and I thought it looked rather good. I would say this is a must buy for people that can play FPS's on consoles and are looking for a game where you can be all sneaky-like and have a good story as well.

I would be picking this up sooner rather than later, but I've got a lot of games on my plate right now. I love that they redid the gameplay though, being able to go through the whole game as stealth will be awesome. (Originally you couldn't stealth kill the bosses if I remember correctly.)

E_maniac

E_maniac said:

This is a fantastic game i already own and have finnished on ps3But for 21pound from shoptonet i have preordered on wiiu.
Bring it on!

odd69

odd69 said:

But this game came out long time ago its got dust on it, plus you can get the directors cut for 20$ everywhere i wont pay 60$ for it LOL

Jellitoe

Jellitoe said:

Bought this on Steam sale and still have not played it. The price tag on the WiiU version is rip off.

Bessestad

Bessestad said:

Pre-booked it once it was originally announced.. For me, the 20 euro pricetag is nothing. Its a great and lenghty game with all DLC content, Wii U-features and updates.. Who cares if it was released a couple of years ago on other platforms and that there has been a bunch of sales on it.. Complain on The Wind Waker HD pricetag as well then... and thats game a bit older then only a couple ;-)

WaxxyOne

WaxxyOne said:

Can't wait to see the Vita/SmartGlass features be ridiculously cut down or clunky compared to the GamePad so my friends at work will stop claiming that somehow those are going to make it obsolete.

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

Been wanting to preorder this for months but held off due to the absence of a release date. If do wish they could have released it earlier though as the Wii U and 3ds are having a major release period now.