Day One Update Looks Set to Spin Into Sonic Lost World on Wii U

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

It's only a little 'un

Later this week we'll let you know what we think of Sonic Lost World, the new arrival coming to both Wii U and 3DS in different forms. While we can't share our opinion yet, we will let you know that there seems to be a small day one update for the Wii U version, so make sure you're not one of the minority that doesn't have your system hooked up to the internet.

It doesn't seem to be mandatory, and was just 46MB on our European copy of the game, which nevertheless took around five minutes to download and install on a reasonable — but not super-fast — connection. As with small Wii U day one updates in the past, we'd bet that this is enabling some of the online and Miiverse connectivity for the title, though that is simply logical speculation.

The latest adventure starring the blue blur arrives in Europe this week on 18th October (29th October in North America), and we'll have some features content around the iconic SEGA character to keep you entertained until then.

Warbeard

Warbeard said:

Let's hope everyone loves it (not sure, since last time you teased that you loved WW - could be different reviewer though) and it sells some systems to prepare for christmas :)

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@dudey300 I thought that was slow! The Wii U is, unfortunately, one of the slowest gizmos I own at downloading and installing content, as equivalent sized files are a lot quicker (on the same connection) on things like my phone, PS3, laptop etc. Hopefully in future it'll get a bit quicker.

MetaRyan

MetaRyan said:

Day 1 update? Uh oh... last time a Sonic game had one of those, it broke the World Tour mode.

dudey300Staff

dudey300 said:

@ThomasBW84 It might just be my internet provider, but it took 2 and a half hours for Pokémon Y to download.

Anyway, I hope those that are looking forward to Sonic Lost World on both platforms enjoy it. Won't be Day 1 for me, but perhaps over the Christmas period if I'm lucky.

Volmun

Volmun said:

Im looking forward to this but im not sure itl tern up.. i dont trust where i ordred from but thay had the Deadly Six edition -_-

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

It's probably something to do with the Miiverse features since nobody appears to have those yet of the earlier buyers.

TheLilK98

TheLilK98 said:

Since Europe gets it 11 days before America, Sega should at LEAST give us a demo.

Ryno

Ryno said:

The latest 3D World images and vids are putting this Sonic game to shame.

Ryno

Ryno said:

The latest 3D World images and vids are putting this Sonic game to shame.

ACK

ACK said:

Is there confirmation that this update is required for gameplay?

I haven't known a Wii U game where that was the case... I only connect my Wii U when necessary and often can't be bothered to update a game until it's convenient for me. I didn't even connect to update my launch Wii U until the Lego City disc did it for me.

Maybe I'm strange, but I'm not too fond of wireless routers and such radiating further waves into my young kids' developing brains. Hence, I'm never "always on."

MadAdam81

MadAdam81 said:

Still unsure about this, but I'll get it and use EBs 7 day no questions asked returns policy if I have to.

Emblem

Emblem said:

Amazon have already sent my DLC codes for my Deadly Six Edition so i'm just awaiting delivery on Friday when i get back from work.

I am worried that no reviews are out yet though, long embargoes usually mean bad news but i hope i'm wrong.

MadAdam81

MadAdam81 said:

@ACK you could always grab a Wii U Ethernet connector and use an Ethernet cable. Most wireless routers allow you to turn off wireless without turning off ethernet cable ports.

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

@ACK There are people out there currently playing the game right now pre-update so I would say the update has nothing to do with gameplay.

WaveyChristmas

WaveyChristmas said:

Not too interested in this one, but that's a given because i loath that little speedy blue hedgehog outside of the early 90's cartoon series. 3D World is going to Womp and stomp this game back to the Sega stone age!

Jack_Package

Jack_Package said:

Could it be related to the 'pre-order' DLC?

Injustice forces the download of all DLC whether you pay to unlock it, or not

ACK

ACK said:

@MadAdam81 Yeah, that's probably what I should do. Thing is, if I don't turn on my router, I don't get sucked into ignoring the things I want to do... Yeah, phones don't help either...

Anyway, it's become a sort of virtue at this point. I grew up without an internet connection until about 14 (56k at that). Really I feel all the better for it. The more stimulation we introduce into our lives, the faster our awareness moves through time and the harder it becomes to reflect; which is what really forms and develops our awareness. I guess that's how I feel about it, anyway.

What makes Nintendo so great is they have kept videogames a hobby that supports a disconnected lifestyle rather than hinder or further isolate. When I think about this past generation, that decision probably helped grow the game industry far more than the other console's foray into online, which simultaneously squeezes the consumer and the industry at large.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@Ryno All I have really to compare is the PC version of Generations and 3D Land. (I hated 3D Land and was surprised at how much I liked Generations). Doesn't matter really about what it looks like anywhere near as much as whether you want to play it and get better at it. (Never been a reason to want to bother getting better at any recent Mario games for me).

TheLilK98

TheLilK98 said:

Lol at all the people convinced that 3D world is going to destroy this game. The two are barely even comparible to begin with. and to be honest, I like many others would've much rather had a Galaxy 3/Universe anyway.

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

Both of them are my most hyped games of the year. Mario and Sonic have always been my favorite game series.

MAB

MAB said:

Actually I wouldn't mind a full blown Sonic X Mario platformer ;)

rjejr

rjejr said:

@ThomasBW84 - "The Wii U is, unfortunately, one of the slowest gizmos I own at downloading and installing content,"

BLASPHEMER!! ;-)

I've always thought this was more of a Nintendo server issue than a Wii U hardware issue as vids and Youtube work fine. Well when they work. The WiFi connection in general is bad. Had my sister return my Wii adaptor (I'm an Indian giver) an dit work sfine now.

This DL should take about 30 seconds. It will probably take longer than that to install. I'ld wage it has to do w/ the latest OS update a coupe of weeks ago.

Did NL get to review the Deadly Sinister Six Nights into Dreams ed. or just the regular one?

I'm looking forward to this, it looks great, but not as great as SM3DW, as it should be, its Nintendo's hardware, not Sega's.

VolcanoFlamesNL

VolcanoFlamesNL said:

¨minority that doesn't have your system hooked up to the internet¨
What does this mean? That you won't be able to play the game unless you update, or something? I HOPE NOT, because that '46MB' makes a dent in my internet broadband, plus it's... slow and somewhat unreliable. :(

GreatPlayer

GreatPlayer said:

@unrandomsam Same here! I like Sonic Generations more than Mario Galaxy! Mario Galaxy's 3D angle keeps me dizzy, not to mention the poor camera angle in the game.

GreatPlayer

GreatPlayer said:

@Ryno Nintendo's NSMB games are far too easy, and it tried to extract gamers' money by releasing the super-short Luigi U. Where are the old fun Mario games?

CaPPa

CaPPa said:

@ThomasBW84
Mine is the opposite. My Wii U seems to download reasonably quickly whereas my PS3 seems to take an eternity.

Artwark

Artwark said:

I hope the game doesn't get a 6 or 7 for the 3DS because I'm getting this on 3DS.

ToniK

ToniK said:

I love all updates since they are there to make things more convenient and smooth. I've never had any problems with my mediocre connection and don't mind waiting a few minutes if that means I get a better product. Still don't know if I'm interested in Lost World though. Reviews please :)

wombatkidd

wombatkidd said:

@rjejr @ThomasBW84
Putting the Wii U in your router's DMZ will clear up most internet issues with it.

@CountWavula

This isn't the 90's. Sega and Nintendo are partners in this, with Nintendo even publishing the game in PAL regions. They are NOT in competition with each other.

DeathCode

DeathCode said:

Can't wait for this game so excited but yet have so many games to beat OMG ahhh what to do I shall quit my job.

kegluneq

kegluneq said:

I'll have to pass this one for now... did you see the 3ds bundle that it's gonna be released with a link to the past? I'll have to pass sonic for now...

Morph

Morph said:

Annoys me the reviews won't be out till Friday, cancelled my pre order for now, and just pick it up in store if its good

Volmun

Volmun said:

Ok im seriosly sick to death with GFX hogs about games... and besides compering Mario to Sonic is idiotic as there in two difrnt stiles yes ther both cartoony but thats a pointles argument and thay are totaly difrnt art stiles wether you like it or not the only slight gfx difrance i see with Lost World to 3D World is the Shadow's and thats it. Its like when ppl just Femail dog*ed over Borderlands not being the same gfx as FallOut3 must mean its total *poop well i mutch preferd BL over FO3 1 the stile was fresh and clean 2 there was some grate humer 3 the story was good all beit very louse 4 co-op. End of it thow the only time i get iffy about gfx is when there just plain lazy

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@wombatkidd Maybe. I've just got everything hooked up through the wireless without any fancy settings.

My PS3 and Wii U are sitting right next to each other, so distance from the router shouldn't be an issue; all my gadgets were just set up through basic Wi-Fi settings. I remember a dev telling us in an interview that they thought Nintendo needed to improve the server bandwidth to speed up the eShop on the Wii U, but maybe the speed issue varies per user in the end.

dyopri

dyopri said:

i want to buy this game..i really do! but there are other games i want more.. haven't bought 101 yet and 3D land is just right around the corner!

and also i saw Sonic Colors half priced off at a Local Store here in my city hehehe

MAB

MAB said:

@ThomasBW84 I can safely say there isn't any problems with the WiiU WiFi speeds because we only run ADSL2 in Australia and I can download 10gig in 2 hours on the WiiU using default auto settings whereas my laptop would take 6 hours. I found when I plugged the wireless headphone USB thingy into the back ports on the WiiU it slowed everything down (downloads/youtube/webpages) but with the USB receiver into the front ports it is lightning fast.

Also worth noting my router is about 30 feet away and my WiiU is in a glass cabinet sometimes with the door closed...

MadAussie has come to the conclusion that you either need to try a different setting or something is interfering (possibly the PS3) with the WiFi signal ;)

Volmun

Volmun said:

@TheLilK98 i think it was a joke or a atempt to ster up a reaction i was tempted to repliy to it too i mean... its clerly the WiiU ver

LeVideoGamer

LeVideoGamer said:

When is the review coming? I'd really like to see some impressions before I get it on Friday.

wombatkidd

wombatkidd said:

@rjejr The router's DMZ basically is a specific IP that isn't behind the firewall. Basically, the Wii U needs certain ports open which causes connection issues if they aren't, and Nintendo hasn't released a specification that says which ones. Putting it in the DMZ opens all of them and stops the router's firewall from blocking it.

Google how to do this for your model of router. It's not all that hard. I have basic computer experience and was able to figure out how to do it with some googleing in about 15 minutes.

@MadAussieBloke is also correct that the Wii U does seem to suffer from interference more than other devices though. Having it at least 3 feet from other wi-fi devices may also go a long way to solving connection issues.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@wombatkidd - That's why I have it hooked up via USB-ethernet adaptor. It was a snap to hook-up and I haven't had a single connection problem since.

Kudos to Nintendo for having the Wii adapter work w/ the Wii U, though a NIC built in would have been better. As would an optical cable. I need to buy a new sound system once a game deserving of one comes out. Maybe X. Mario and Sonic have great playing games but they don't really need 5.1 surround.