Cooking Mama 4: Kitchen Magic Gets Cooking On the 3DS eShop in North America

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Nearly two years after its retail release

Occasionally Nintendo doesn't include all details in its weekly download updates for each region, and this week there's an extra treat awaiting North America gamers. Nearly two years after its retail release, Cooking Mama 4: Kitchen Magic is available on the 3DS eShop in North America; it's priced at $19.99.

A series that came to prominence on the DS family of systems, in particular, and serves up various touch-based mini-games to prepare food. The absence of the 3DS entry on the eShop has been slightly puzzling as a demo was available worldwide when it launched in 2011, yet it seemed to fall off the radar when Nintendo began selling retail games on the eShop in August 2012. The series will be continuing on the 3DS, too, with Cooking Mama 5 in development for a Winter release in Japan.

Unfortunately this title is only on the North American eShop, and not the European equivalent at the time of writing. Do any of you plan to pick this up at its budget price?

ikki5

ikki5 said:

Are these games actually any good.... I look at them and think.... "uh... no" but yet they keep coming.... so how are they?

Wowfunhappy

Wowfunhappy said:

Has anyone played this particular game? There doesn't appear to be a review on Nintendolife...

Flowerlark

Flowerlark said:

I admit to liking Mama games, but I need to be in just the right mood for them. They can be kinda overwhelmingly cheerful.

Contrite

Contrite said:

Haha, I actually played one of the DS Cooking Mama games a whole lot. Kind of mindless fun, for occasional short periods of time.

"Woow, even better than mama"

ramstrong

ramstrong said:

It's a good pick up and play game. Reminds me of wario games, except with goals. Not a very involving game, but fun in mild doses.

Gameday

Gameday said:

Played the first 1 on ds , then owned it on wii. Played a little of the second one thought it was alright. Now im curious about this one indeed. Fun to play against multiple people ~

workerbot

workerbot said:

This was the game that convinced me that I needed a 3DS.. I was doing fine with my DSi until I saw this game was coming out for the 3DS only, and I knew that if I wanted to play newer games that were only being released for the newer system, I'd need to upgrade. The game is fun and I enjoyed it quite a bit.