Artwork: These Isometric Super Mario Drawings Are Rather Impressive

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

It's the little details

The weekend is upon us, so it seems like as good a time as any to gaze upon some impressive Mario fan art, and these isometric collaborations certainly fit the bill. They're the work of more than a dozen like-minded artists that met on the Mario Fan Games Galaxy Forums, representing what seems to be the fruits of a fairly tortuous labour.

You can learn about how these projects came together, which is certainly an interesting read. It's simply a pleasure to look over the final results, below, and pick up the various references and different art styles; check them out and let us know what you think.

[via kotaku.com]

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

The Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga one is my favorite. Too bad these pictures aren't bigger.

Toodles

Toodles said:

Oh, gosh. How weird to see these again after so many years! o_o

I created the Monkey Ball and Commander Keen tiles on that first one, but I had nothing to do with the later ones. I had no idea there have been so many now!

OorWullie

OorWullie said:

They're all great especially Yoshi Island but the first 1 is just fantastic,there's a bit of everything going on in there :-)

Gerbwmu

Gerbwmu said:

They really should sell them as posters.....although I'm sure there are copyright laws of some sort

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

I suppose it's no surprise that my eyes naturally gravitate towards the chunks taken from Super Mario RPG.

Geni

Geni said:

Nintendolife is clearing showing pixel art, but not in the proper size, which makes the whole thing fall apart. Sad.

JimLad

JimLad said:

It's like the world's best theme park. :)
Would like a bigger image though.

GatorGamer

GatorGamer said:

Is it just me, or does it seem that in the first one, Waluigi is on a Mario party-type trail to a Smash Ball? If so, that's a pretty neat detail.