You'll Have to Wait Until December to Get a Pokémon Bank Account

Posted by Katy Ellis

Chip and pin at the ready

Earlier this month, during a special Pokémon Direct Broadcast, Nintendo and Game Freak announced a new cloud-based service called Pokémon Bank, where trainers can store their Pokémon and dig them up again for later use. The news that you would have to pay for this service sparked a quite diverse reaction from fans as well as the staff here at Nintendo Life.

During our recent interview with Pokémon Director Junichi Masuda and Designer Hironobu Yoshida — to be published in full today — we discovered that Pokémon Bank would not be launching simultaneously with the release of Pokémon X and Y. Instead, European Poké maniacs will have to wait until 27th December in order to horde up to 3,000 of their Pokémon pals; considering it launches in Japan on 25th December, we can expect the North America release date to be in the same ball-park.

The release date of the Poké Transporter, which allows you to transfer 'mon from Pokémon Black and White and Pokémon Black and White 2, was not confirmed, although we suspect it will launch around the same time as the Pokémon Bank.

Are you disappointed you will have to wait to a while to use the new Bank features? To find out more details about the Pokémon Bank, look out for our Pokémon X and Y interview later today.

distantwolfx44

distantwolfx44 said:

I don't get why people are so against it, about having to pay for it ONLY $5 A YEAR when you probably can't get anything good with $5 >.>

SilentHunter382

SilentHunter382 said:

For me I won't be using it right away so this is no big deal. My only worry is that if you buy it for the year and don't renew it. Will they keep your data till you renew again.

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

My only disappointment isn't waiting two months before accessing the service, it's waiting two months before playing with my old Pokémon in X/Y.

antipop621

antipop621 said:

5$? I just found a 5 on the ground on the way to work today. Don't really care about the bank, but I will make good use of the Transporter.

DreamyViridi

DreamyViridi said:

Eh, gives me more time to train Pokémon in Gen 5 while at the same time appreciate Gen 6 more.

ueI

ueI said:

I thought this was old news. Either way, I'll be waiting until the app is released before I buy X or Y.

SphericalCrusher

SphericalCrusher said:

Well, it's going to hold me off from transferring all of my level 100 EV-trained Pokemon into X and Y and slaughter everyone... so it's kind of good that this will allow my friends and I to play and trade fairly. lol I'm getting X and Y at launch, and will jump on the Bank as soon as it becomes available.

Memeboy3

Memeboy3 said:

@Coldfirex44 You can eat like a king on The dollar Menu, for me, unless they add awesome stuff if you have an account, then i'll onpy use the free trial, i don't hate it, but i would LOVE to transer my pokemon for free as i always had. :3

Xaltheron

Xaltheron said:

It's a bit annoying that we can't use our old pokemon for over 2 months after X/Y's release, normally I like to bring my main team over for places like the Battle Subway/PWT. And the National Dex will literally be impossible to complete until then.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

I love Pokemon and all, but no way am I filling up the entire box before December. Not a big deal. Just make sure the revamped GTS is working.

FiveDigitLP

FiveDigitLP said:

I actually remember reading this somewhere when the news of the Pokemon Bank was first announced. I think on the Pokemon website or something it mentioned it in the fine details. I guess this will suck for those friends of mine who were wanting to build up a team of various starters...

Kit

Kit said:

Hmm, I was under the impression that you could transfer PKMN to X/Y using Poke Transporter, which can also upload PKMN to the Pokemon Bank (once it's available). I guess we'll have to wait and see.

MIDP

MIDP said:

I think its a good way of letting people enjoy the game with the in-game pokemon aquired at in-game pace so to speak.
Otherwise we could just transfer a bunch of level hundo pokemon and go crazy from day one...which we'll now have to wait 2 months to do.
I find it fair to the devs.

KittenKoder

KittenKoder said:

I love the bank idea and I could wait another month, two, or three, no problem. As long as it's not such a long time that I forget it exists, it's all good.

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

This is fine. Nobody's going to need the extra storage space until then, plus it will force everyone to focus on playing the main quest without relying on help from previously trained Pokémon from the generation 5 games.

Interneto

Interneto said:

@Doma Yeah because spending 5$/5€ on lunch is way more economic and better spent than using the same amount on a service that will let us use it for a whole year...

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

@SkywardLink98
Yea, if you had access to another DS, and an extra copy of the current game if you ever want to restart. Its not if you have to buy those things yourself.

This should be a welcome change for anyone who likes restarting their game often but doesn't have anyone to trade with and would need to do it buy themselves. Just the cost of an extra game would be 8-years of Pokebank. Its not really expensive, people just expect to get it all for free.

You gotta wonder how much Nintendo and Game Freak made just from people making do by buying additional hardware and games.

Akira

Akira said:

Just curious - does anyone know if you'll definitely be able to pay the Bank's fee using eShop credit?

stillwinds

stillwinds said:

@SkywardLink98

It was free in the last game because transferring pokemon didn't make use of a cloud service then.
For people who don't have friends to trade with, this is a pretty good way to transfer Pokemon from previous games. It's certainly cheaper than a second 3DS and game card.
Nobody said you couldn't hook up with another 3DS system with a second copy of Pokemon, and still transfer your Pokemon for free like it was always done before. But this is a cloud service and servers need maintenance and upkeep.

Sam_Loser2

Sam_Loser2 said:

As long as there is an offline way to transfer pokemon from gen 5 akin to gen 4->5 transfers, then I fine with the delay and even the payment. I just don't want this to be an excuse to take out previously built-in features.

Sam_Loser2

Sam_Loser2 said:

@stillwinds They haven't confirmed it either. The way they announced it and they way everyone's reacting to it, (Like all the Pokemon Youtubers I watch) it's like they weren't expecting it to happen, even though it was in the past couple generations. I hope you're right, but you'd think they'd mention it.

I'll probably end up using this regardless, but I really don't want to rely on a cloud service to transfer Pokemon. I already have to wait a few months to use it, and if it's ever discontinued for some reason the link between gens 5 and 6 is gone. I am keeping my DS phat around for the sole purpose of transferring between gens 3 and 4.

Kitsune_Rei

Kitsune_Rei said:

I'm just disappointed at having to wait so long to pull some favorite Pokemon from the previous games over into it :( Maybe there will be another way to transfer before then or something. I figure by Dec I'll be mostly done with the game. I don't want old Pokemon because they're more powerful, I want them more to see some old favorites in the new format and be able to have them on my team.

James021

James021 said:

They said back in E3 that there was no way for the DS and 3DS to communicate in order to transfer Pokemon, which doesn't make sense to me. So, Pokemon Bank and Poke Transporter is their solution and the only way to transfer between 5th and 6th gen games. So we have to wait until December.

revoltadopt5

revoltadopt5 said:

We will not be able to pass pokemons from platinum to X,Y?
Thats pretty bad considering we have to pay...

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

@revoltadopt5
I wish I did, but I don't. If the gen 5 games are I don't see why the other DS games can't. I have a feeling that they're assuming most people transfered everything to the current games by now though.

revoltadopt5

revoltadopt5 said:

@Zombie_Barioth ahhh :( but they shouldn't cause i had White version but i lost it, they prepared it assuming we lost our Games but what if we already lost our game ! :( thats to bad i only have platinum !