You'll Be Able To Choose Bulbasaur, Charmander Or Squirtle As Additional Starters In Pokémon X & Y

Posted by Damien McFerran

Mega Evolutions for each also revealed

It has been revealed that players will be able to select classic first generation Pokémon Bulbasaur, Charmander and Squirtle in the forthcoming 3DS title Pokémon X & Y. In a twist on the usual Pokémon formula, you are not given Chespin, Fennekin, or Froakie from Professor Sycamore — you choose one of these from a friend — but are instead offered one of the classic monsters as a partner Pokémon. Ultimately, that means you'll have two starters.

It gets better, however. Once you've evolved the trio into Venusaur, Charizard or Blastoise and obtained their "Mega Stone", you can trigger the Mega Evolution in battle. Needless to say, Mega Venusaur, Mega Charizard and Mega Blastoise will boast incredible powers during combat.

To achieve such power you'll need to make some additional effort, however — trainers must track down a bracelet called the Mega Ring, which works together with the Pokémon's Mega Stone to kickstart the Mega Evolution.

Check out the footage below, which we're sure has some pulses racing.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Nice change of pace news. I'm sort of Tepig, Oshawott and Snivy'd out.

Does this guarantee they return in SSB? Can't be a coincidence, can it?

flummerfelt

flummerfelt said:

Oh my god, my childhood is back to life! :)

"Captain! The hype meter just flew off the charts!!!"

Ralizah

Ralizah said:

I'm way more excited about this than almost any other feature of this game.

CaviarMeths

CaviarMeths said:

Yeah, this was definitely the best 18 seconds of news in that entire 20 minute Direct. Gonna roll out with my Bulbasaur out.

Prof_Elvin_Gadd

Prof_Elvin_Gadd said:

Awesome news! I'll probably go with either Charmander or Bulbasaur because I'm rolling with Froakie :D But Mega Blastoise looks boss!

Sneaker13

Sneaker13 said:

Nice, Bulbasaur (my favorite) as a starter. Now I'm interested. Don't care about the Mega's though. I probably won't even evolve my Bulbasaur.

crobatman

crobatman said:

Charizard still kinda sucks, damn even though it looks awesome :(
I am going to go for Bulbasaur for multiple reasons - I am using Fennekin, it's dual poison/grass (fairy is apparently weak to poison) and it's mega evolution seems really useful - increased spdef and def + thick fat = mega tank :D

KeithTheGeek

KeithTheGeek said:

Hahah, oh man, I was considering getting Bulbasaur when I heard about the original rumor, but...Mega Charizard. Charizard was already my favorite starter and Pokemon in general, this really just decided for me which starter I'm gonna get in Y. It'll compliment my Froakie well also.

AyeHaley

AyeHaley said:

This is such a smart move! Just look at the comments on sites like kotaku and everyone suddenly wants the game. X and Y are epic.

tchaten

tchaten said:

I tried to find Squirtle when playing Black 2 and failed - so excited to have Squirtle as my starting pokemon!!!

Ecto-1

Ecto-1 said:

It is funny, I always start with the fire type and I was really interested in Fennekin. That said, Charizard is my favorite pokemon, so now I am left to decide between Froakie and Chespin. Hmm... decisions, decisions.

Wolf_Link

Wolf_Link said:

Dang, Charizard is perfect. He is my favorite 'mon. He didn't need any mega thing.

zeldagaymer93

zeldagaymer93 said:

I got so happy when I saw this! Adding nostalgic elements to a video game is a great way to create hype! This is why I love Nintendo so much!

Kirk

Kirk said:

Seems like it was a pretty genius move throwing the original and classic starters back in there as starters [kind of] in this new Pokemon.

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

Awesome I will be able to get all of the original starters and all of the new ones. October can't come fast enough for me.

Gioku

Gioku said:

This, in my opinion, is so far the most awesome announcement for Pokémon X & Y! I'm so much MORE excited now! :D

MussakkuLaden

MussakkuLaden said:

Okay, I need a 3DS. Apart from the great graphics, my all time favorite Bulbasaur makes this game a must buy! ^^
Luckily, the Mega Evolutions are quite nice, too. Not too over the top.

Shadowkiller97

Shadowkiller97 said:

Squirtle it is! (Mega Blastoise looks awesome!). And I guess I will get Chespin since we are getting that free Torchic. This way I will have one of each, but I am kind of still waiting to see what the new trio evolve into first.

kyuubikid213

kyuubikid213 said:

I heard about Mega Evolutions and I thought it was just stupid. Then I saw this. I can't wait to do this in-game!!!

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

The catch: Mega Charizard is Fire/Fighting (with Levitate).

(This isn't true but unless Stealth Rock is nerfed that would actually be a buff.)

DerpSandwich

DerpSandwich said:

I'd be lying if I said I hadn't been waiting for something like this video for the last fifteen years.

flummerfelt

flummerfelt said:

Hours later, and I'm still pretty hyped about this. Can't decide between Bulbasaur & Squirtle though.

Zero11

Zero11 said:

i will get fennikin trochic and charmender i like fire types very much!

Adam

Adam said:

The mega forms look exactly the same. I guess I need to look up what this megabusiness is all about.

AVahne

AVahne said:

Venusaur's Mega seems kinda subtle compared to the others, but Mega Charizard and Mega Blastoise look AWESOME.

Brother_Jolteon

Brother_Jolteon said:

My beginning X & Y team will be the downloadable Torchic with Blazikenite, chespin and Squirtle. (Sorry charizard but blaziken is my 2nd favorite starter.) My first favorite starter is MUDKIPZ!!!

Xtremetdifan

Xtremetdifan said:

As trainer Xtremetdifan and Froakie enter into the professors lab they're shown three starter Pokemon from the kanto region.....
Forced to relive one of my hardest decisions ever... Again...

Charmander or Bulbasaur?

Aqueous

Aqueous said:

I think it is sad that this was the most interesting to me. Then again I'm a long time trainer. I'm going to take Bulbasaur to compliment my Fennkin. Sorry Charmander, no two fire type at once for me.

Skeet102

Skeet102 said:

don't know if i'll use a kanto starter in my first playthrough but I my second i'll definitely use squirtle

3DSAllDay

3DSAllDay said:

Mega Charizard all the way!!! I will definitely going to be getting this game as soon as I can!!!

GamerZack7

GamerZack7 said:

Well, well, this is very exciting news indeed! Between the Kanto Starters and the rumour of your rival giving you his/her fully-evolved Starter post-game, it just makes my decision all the harder! Or I could stick with tradition and choose Bulbasaur, in which case it'd lock in Fennekin and Froakie as my apparent starters.

Blue_Yoshi

Blue_Yoshi said:

Hmmm I know Froakie is a must but I think I might just choose Bulbasaur over Charmander. I got a Bulbasaur NFC Figure and I think after I beat X I might get a copy of Y in which case I'll get Chespin and Charmander. Sorry Fenne and Squirt maybe next time :P

Joe1113

Joe1113 said:

@Xtremetdifan Does TDI stand for Total Drama Island, because it's the best show ever. The new season looks to be beast.

And, I don't know who I'm going to pick as my second starters in my 2 games, but I'm still more excited about the new starters. Guess I'm one of few... :/

TwoSmoove

TwoSmoove said:

This is just too awesome. Froakie and Squirtle (my favorite gen 1 starter) for me it is. MegaBlastoise reminds me of a transformer for some reason. Love it!

Pixel-Perfect

Pixel-Perfect said:

Not impressed... sadly disappointed infact. Mega Charizard seems to be the best of the three in my opinion.

Macattack

Macattack said:

Don't worry, Squirtle, I'll protect you from the harmful effects of the megastone.
Blastoise has been my favorite Pokemon since the dawn of time. As a fan, I am horrified by this needless decision to 'upgrade' him with a megastone. Besides which, his mega evolution design is insanely disfiguring, unflattering, etc. I can barely bring myself to lay eyes on him. Worst Pokemon-based decision made by Nintendo.
Am I the only one who thinks Charizard looks like a Digimon?

On the bright side, it seems I'll finally get two water starters this time around.

DualWielding

DualWielding said:

so with the Torchic you can start with a grass, fire, water trio, gotta feel bad for those gym leaders

Franklin

Franklin said:

Squirtle and Fennekin for me. A Fire and a Water type together will to some extent have each other's back.

GamerFromJump

GamerFromJump said:

Since Squirtle is the only Gen I starter I haven't fully evolved, I think I'll go with him. Given that there's an Event Torchic, that covers Fire, so I guess I'll go against my normal tendency and pick Chespin this time out. I hope they reveal the evolutions soon. It's time to break out the old type chart and start building the team.