Weirdness: If Only The Dark Knight Was a Retro Game

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

"Wanna know how I got these scanlines?"

Just yesterday we shared the fact that there's a retro-styled Game of Thrones game, which draws inspiration from the TV show. To continue that theme we now have a video that recreates The Dark Knight as it would be in a retro game; this is a rather fun recreation of key events as they could work in a game of days gone by.

The work of CineFix as part of its "8-bit Cinema" series, this is pretty entertaining. Seeing previously epic sequences in a top-down retro style is certainly a quirky approach — not out of place considering all of the licensed Batman titles we were graced with in the '90s — and certainly gives them a fresh perspective. Perhaps the film will seem that 'bit' less dramatic from now on.

Check it out below.

[via kotaku.com]

Magrane

Magrane said:

I would have LOVED to see a version of The Dark Knight in the same 8-bit fashion as the first Sunsoft Batman game. Could totally work!

This video was entertaining to watch. Besides the obvious Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past references, I picked up The Addams Family as well.

VoiceOfReason

VoiceOfReason said:

It's funny, I was just listening to the soundtrack for this movie and then I see this article.

cbkummer

cbkummer said:

Dang it all, I just got off a Batman kick. I guess I'm going to have to re-watch the trilogy now . . . again . . .

Captain_Balko

Captain_Balko said:

That's awesome. Dark Knight is one of my favourite movies of all time, this was just amazing.

SMEXIZELDAMAN

SMEXIZELDAMAN said:

"To continue that theme we now how a video that recreates The Dark Knight as it would be in a retro game"
This sentence might need some fixing somewhere with grammars, tommy :D...

MrMario02

MrMario02 said:

I saw it didn't have one of my favorite lines. It's when Joker walks up to Two-Face and says "Hi."

Captain_Gonru

Captain_Gonru said:

Fun video. Though, and I know I'm in the minority here, I didn't really like the movie very much. Sure, it was well-acted, but I didn't find the characters to be representative of the comic book versions. I don't know. I'm just tired of "bulletproof Batman". And why do they insist on giving Joker an injury to make him smile. The original character only needed his insanity to smile. It takes away from the impact of the grin when he HAS to be grinning. Flame away, Internet.

Cia

Cia said:

@Captain_Gonru:
Nope, you're not the only one disliking the movie. If you ask me, in terms of artistic direction, music and "fun", the original two Tim Burton movies were a lot better.

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

A bit too much taken from A Link to the Past to be as thoroughly entertaining as the premise suggests. Also... that's really not 8-bit. I dunno if anyone's claiming it is, or if "8-bit Cinema" is just a cute-sounding name.

Captain_Gonru

Captain_Gonru said:

@Faron I do like those better, as well. However, even there, Joker gets disfigured to explain the smile. We get our first Bulletproof Batman. And to top it off, we get a Batman who, despite being a character who has (almost) always hated guns and vowed not to kill, has machine guns on both the Batmobile and Batwing, and tries to gun down Joker. I know I'm being a fanboy, but come on. I like me some non-lethal ninja Batman. And don't tell me it doesn't "work". Arkham Asylum and City pretty much nail it perfectly.