Taiko: Drum Master Wii U Version Bringing the Beat to Japan in November

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Has potential for some serious sales

The Taiko: Drum Master series of games — and there are many — is hugely popular in Japan. The range of releases on multiple systems accounts for that, with five variations released on the Wii alone, three on DS and one on 3DS — releases in the West have been exceptionally rare in comparison. They're such big business in Japan that the most recent Wii iteration, the fifth that was released in 2012, has still comfortably passed half a million sales.

It's certainly good news for the Wii U's fortunes in Japan, therefore, that Taiko: Drum Master Wii U Version will be released on 21st November. It'll support up to four players and various control options — off-TV play will use button controls, GamePad with the TV will use touch controls, while Wii Remotes and the drum peripherals from the Wii games can also be used. In other words, in should do a good job of tapping into the sizable existing market that's invested in the Wii games and extras.

New features will include a "Baton Pass Performance Mode", along with masks of Mario, Luigi, and Golden Bomber Darubisshu Kenji. A small number of tracks have also been announced.

• Momoiro Taiko Dodonga Setsu (Momoiro Clover Z)
  • Ninjari Banban (Kyary Pamyu Pamyu)
  • Sayonara Crawl (AKB48)
  • 123 Koi ga Hajimaru (Ikimono Gakari)
  • Flower Song (Exile)
  • Hands Up! (One Piece)
  • Diamond Happy (Aikatsu!!)
  • Goushoku My Way (Toriko)
  • Vamola!! Kyoryuger (Jyuden Sentai Kyoruger)
  • Yasei Pokemon Ikusa Medley (Pokemon X and Y)
  • Oshiete Kuma Tomo (Kuma Tomo)
  • Amachan Opening Theme (Amachan)

Arriving during such an important sales period, Nintendo will certainly be hoping that Namco's series will bring a boost in Wii U hardware sales.

[via gematsu.com]

Norik

Norik said:

Gotta love how Japan keeps getting games only for themselves even when the majority of Wii U owners live in the west.

rjejr

rjejr said:

My youngest son learned how to play video games with Donkey Kong Jungle Beat so I wouldnt mind something like this.

I know most people mock Jungle Beat but it really gets the blood flowing. Probably more exercise than anything on the balance board.

MrGawain

MrGawain said:

It astonishes me no one has released a music game based on classic Video Game music yet. Imagine a rhythm game with the music of Mario, Zelda, Mega Man, Castlevania, Donkey Kong, Luigi Mansion, Pikmin etc... in it.

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

Hey, the PS2 got a North American port of Taiko no Tatsujin. Maybe Wii U will, too.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@MrGawain

Square Enix did it with their Theatrhythm Final Fantasy game. Nintendo or Capcom doing something similar would be awesome, though. Now if you mean a crossover game, that would probably be harder to coordinate, but still possible, if games like Project X Zone are any indication.

It would be nice to have one of these games in the West. Love the quirky Rhythm Heaven games.

CrazyOtto

CrazyOtto said:

@Norik There's alot more Wii U games that we have that Japan doesn't. Japan doesn't have Mighty Switch Force or Scribblenauts Unlimited.

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

@rjejr Do a lot of people mock Jungle Beat? I've mostly heard praise, but this is from hardcore Nintendo fans. I guess other gaming associates of mine who just play on 360/PS3 probably don't know about it. It's a wild concept. Would love more experimental stuff like that to come to Wii U eventually, once they have their coffers lined with a bit more green.

Macarony64

Macarony64 said:

Belive it or not this is a system seller. It moved units in wii,3ds and it will do on wiiu.

Emblem

Emblem said:

I would love this on my Wii U so i hope it get brought over to the West.

I'm not sure this is going to sell much units or sell consoles since most people that wanted it may already have it on Wii. Still the more games the better.

Snkfiend

Snkfiend said:

@rjejr Taiko Drum Master isn't a copy actually Jungle Beat is the mock-up but both titles was made by Namco. This game been out in japan for years at the arcades and consoles since the PS2 era but it never made it to the states though. I have this game now on PS2 (Import) and I can say this is a great game for families,hardcore,core etc and I'm excited that Wii U is getting this, the gamepad is very exceptional for this title.

MixMasterMudkip

MixMasterMudkip said:

@letsplay Thank God! Some one else also hasn't forgotten. I've been waiting to many years for a sequal.

Also, this is a pretty great day... for Japan. This and Tetris X Puyo Puyo. We've got to start a lot of petitions.

Marioman64

Marioman64 said:

I want all of the taiko games, all of them. i used the power of the internet to try the first 2 on the ds and it's fantastic

Kasplat

Kasplat said:

Played teh 3ds version demo and it was pretty great. And weird (but then again... JAPAN)

Placlu

Placlu said:

I bought a 3DS for Taiko & Miku (and hopefully other musical games in the future!) However, I'll wait for the Wii U to be hacked & region free, as I barley use the EU Wii U i have, let alone another one :P

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

I have the first three Taiko games for my Japanese Wii; they're a lot of fun. I imagine if they did bring these westward they'd lose a lot of the Japanese music, which is part of their charm, but I'd still get one for my PAL Wii U!

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

This WILL turn the tides for Wii U sales in Japan XD Oh Taiko Drum Master how I love your alien beauty.

GreatPlayer

GreatPlayer said:

Taiko Drum Master is much more popular in Asia than Guitar Hero. It is such a simple and fun game!