Super Castlevania IV Is Whipping The Japanese Wii U Virtual Console Next Week

Posted by Damien McFerran

A 16-bit classic to get your teeth into

Japanese Wii U owners will be able to enjoy what is arguably Simon Belmont's best adventure next week as Super Castlevania IV (or Akumajō Dracula as it's known over there) hits the Virtual Console in that region.

The first 16-bit outing for Konami's esteemed vampire-hunting series, Super Castlevania IV was an early SNES release but has some gorgeous visuals and an absolutely stunning soundtrack. It also helps that it's one of the most playable entries in the franchise, too.

Hopefully that means a western release isn't far off — we've cracked open the garlic and grabbed a few crucifixes in preparation.

[via twitter.com]

darklinkinfinite

darklinkinfinite said:

That's nice, I guess. Super Castlevania IV is one of my favorite entries in the series. I still find it difficult to get excited for a Wii U release of one of the Virtual Console's launch titles especially when we're going on 7 years and still no Castlevania Bloodlines.

luminalace

luminalace said:

I love this game. I look forward to upgrading my Wii version when the Wii U version hits PAL territories!

ogo79

ogo79 said:

i will release bloodlines when i feel like it, its all up to me, so treat me nice on the boards.
-a real belmont

Beechbone

Beechbone said:

I want this in EU right now! Actually, I would even play this Zelda II game out of curiousity.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

This put me off Castlevania for a long time.

Rondo of Blood is much better. (Or Castlevania III NES or Bloodlines).

Gorlokk

Gorlokk said:

I know I'm in the minority here, but I kinda hope they put Castlevania Dracula X, NOT Rondo of Blood (or both).

Ichiban

Ichiban said:

I would like to see Sotn hit Nintendo consoles, but this is the next best thing.

Macarony64

Macarony64 said:

Where is my mystical ninja 64 and mystical ninja starting kid Yin and doctor yan on my vc konami?

Angelic_Lapras_King

Angelic_Lapras_King said:

Wish they'd put the NES games up soon. I wanna upgrade my Wii versions for restore points damnit! Maybe then I can beat them. XD

LavaTwilight

LavaTwilight said:

I still can't complete the tower level where you're dodging the spikes and climbing the chains... so frickin difficult.

Zael

Zael said:

konami should produce a new castlevania for wii u, order of ecclesia style.
Also a ds virtual console would be great
or a ds player

speedyboris

speedyboris said:

@unrandomsam Seriously? Super Castlevania IV is the best classic era Castlevania game. It has great controls, an amazing atmosphere, a varied soundtrack, and a gradually rising challenge.

Comon North American release.

Mommar

Mommar said:

I'd rather they release SNES games on the 3DS from now on. These classic games look like garbage on a giant LCD, they were meant to be played on something with scan lines. At least on a portable LCD they still retain their likeness.

Otto-Soq

Otto-Soq said:

One of my favoured games of all time! :) .....and yes, it would be much better on 3ds.

Samurai_Goroh

Samurai_Goroh said:

@Mommar I have to disagree. To a true gamer, SNES games look beautiful even on a big LCD screen. The force is not strong with you. But you can play these VC games on the GamePad screen on Wii U. Don't even need to bother turning the TV set on.

jayclayx

jayclayx said:

after lord of shadow I´m really disappointed with castlevania, why they dont make a game like this one or like the ds era with a nice story and updated graphics.

Ryno

Ryno said:

Konami please come back to Nintendo and release some games here in the States.

@Mommar and @Otto-Soq: Why would the 3DS be better for SNES games? Home console games on a tiny 3DS screen, no thanks!

@MadAussieBloke: And the Genesis games sound like they were dropped in the crapper. :D

odd69

odd69 said:

this was a great game, not as fun to me as everyone else says but great game nonetheless

DamoAdmin

Damo said:

@Macarony64 Nope. Drac X is loosely based on Rondo. Different level designs, bosses and enemies. No branching pathways and you can only play as Richter. It's not as good, IMO.

Wolf_Link

Wolf_Link said:

I never decided which one is better, IV or X. I i really enjoyed both of them. Btw... I really miss those kind artworks!! Like contra 3. They are like 80s movie posters!

Mommar

Mommar said:

@Samurai_Goroh

Owning every single Nintendo device, ever, doesn't makes me a "true gamer" because I think old pixel graphics made for a tube television blown out on an LCD looks bad? I'd much rather be able to take these games on the go with me now.

AtelierFan

AtelierFan said:

@speedyboris

While I don't agree that this game 'put me off Castlevania', I do agree that RoB is the game I prefer. They are both good, but this isn't my fav. That sound track is comfort to my ears, though!

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

I looked up the definition of the word masterpeice in the dictionary, and it has a picture of Super Castlevania IV

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

When will they ever release Super Castlevania I - III !?!?!?!?! :| :( :| :( :|
The waiting hurts.
Also hope it will be the US version in the European eShop.

JustinH

JustinH said:

An article for this and not for Legend of the Mystical Ninja? Clearly you and I have differing tastes in video games.

Rezalack

Rezalack said:

This is one of the few Castlevania games that I haven't played.. for some reason I just never got it when I had the SNES. I'll definitely pick this up when I get my Wii U if it's available.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@Gorlokk The PSP version is much easier than Rondo (Other than the last boss). Best thing about the original Rondo of Blood is the difficulty is just right. Dracula X is easier other than the last boss. I wouldn't be bothered if they kept the play mechanics identical but they won't.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@speedyboris It has nothing if you get to the boss with 50% or more health and just go next to it and bash the button it will work all the time. You can take loads too many hits. What is good about Rondo is the difficulty is just right and every time when you finish a level you never feel like you got lucky. (Even if you do get the odd but of luck you usually end up getting destroyed by the boss.

(And the bosses are good you cannot hit and hope them you actually have to do them properly. Even if you go through the level and get all the hearts so you can use loads of special attacks then it still doesn't work. The only way to do it is the right way like it should be).

Gorlokk

Gorlokk said:

@Damo Yes, I am, and unless I've misunderstood you, Dracula X does indeed have branching levels. In Level 3, falling at the pillars takes you to an alternate level 4 that makes it so you can't save either Maria or Annette (I think that's her name), but making it to the end of level 3 lets you get the key, and in the normal level 4, you can save Maria, as well as use the key to go to an alternate Level 5, where you can save Annette.
And I want to apologize for my previous comment, I didn't mean to come off so rudely.