Shantae: Half-Genie Hero Hits Funding Target to Confirm Release

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Your wish has been granted

While the Shantae franchise has been best known for its appearances on portable systems — which will continue with Shantae And The Pirate's Curse on the 3DS eShop — Wayforward nevertheless decided to launch a Kickstarter campaign in order to fund a HD entry in the series: Shantae: Half-Genie Hero. With a target of $400,000, it was set up as a title destined for practically every major system, including the Wii U.

The positive news is that the target has now been hit with 10 days remaining, guaranteeing the release that's currently estimated for October 2014. There are still stretch goals in place, of course, which includes a Risky Boots campaign at $500,000 and Bonus Chapters beginning at $600,000. It's been a steady progression to its initial goal, and it's certainly on the cards that one or two additional pieces of content could also be funded.

You can check out the pitch video below, while if you want to know all about the game's origins, design approach and objectives for expanding the franchise you can check out our interview with WayForward.

[via kickstarter.com]

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

Ugh, who cares. Well, more like who doesn't care, anyone else NOT hyped for this game?

sleepinglion

sleepinglion said:

Kickstarter is becoming a wonderful way to make sure these awesome titles see the light of day!

Cevan

Cevan said:

So glad this finally got funded, but it's not over yet! There are so many awesome stretch goals I'd like to see funded. Everyone, spread the word about this game as much as possible in the next couple days. Let's try and help WayForward out and get a bunch of awesome stretch goals!

Also, WayForward has said that any unfunded stretch goals WILL NOT be added in the final game, not even as an update later on. This should help be extra incentive to fund it now, as any stretch goals not met have no chance of being added later.

Zach777

Zach777 said:

Look, Toad gained weight and moved to Shantae's game to be a. Sultan!!!!

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

It's the stretch goals I'm specifically interested in. I really want a big console experience for the series.

TromboneGamer

TromboneGamer said:

Great. Now let's watch the plethora of stretch goals not be met. Disappointing really. But in the end the project was started to get the game off the ground in the first place. Stretch Goals. Why you make me so conflicted?

Dpishere

Dpishere said:

Good to know it has reached its goal, here's hoping it reaches the stretch goals as well! I have yet to play any of the Shantae games and hope to be able to remedy that soon.

NImH

NImH said:

Loving the new art style! I'm so glad this made it out of the woods. I'll definitely be snagging this for WiiU.

Squiggle55

Squiggle55 said:

I would also love to see some stretch goals met. I love me some replayability. Some of those goals are great sounding.

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

Drat, it looks like the Costume Swap goal won't be reached. C'mon, people! I've made my donation. Now let's pick up the pace and get to 700K!

hcfwesker

hcfwesker said:

YESSSS! Backed and ready to get my copy ... now just the waiting lol. Least we'll have this before Mighty No.9. I hope they release another fund project for the missed stretch goals, if that's possible.

Mr-DNA

Mr-DNA said:

I'm glad they made their goal. This has been a painful Mickstarter to watch, mostly because I just don't have the spare cash to donate to this kind of thing. If I did, I'd throw that $350 at them to put my art in the game. But there's just one little detail, WayForward: artists don't have money. That said, who'd like to donate $350 to put MY art in 1/2 Genie Hero?

I'm kidding, of course.

No I'm not.

Urbanhispanic

Urbanhispanic said:

It's good news indeed. WayForward has been doing well in supporting the Shantae franchise and thanks to them I'm finding out why a lot of people love these games.

Usagi-san

Usagi-san said:

@PvtOttobot
You seem like you don't like this game since you've gone to the trouble to comment on an article about it. Any reason you don't like it?

Don't get me wrong, you're certainly allowed your own opinion, I'm just curious.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

I knew it would. Now for the real challenge...getting that Risky Mode! We can do it guys! And by we, I mean you. I'm broke...

Kosmo

Kosmo said:

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!

Too bad WayFrowrd needed that much money for the stretch goals... AT least we get the game.

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

Okay, yeah. This game looks cool. Never played any Shantae games before. Seems as good a place to start as any. That monkey form is super cute!

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

You never know with stretch goals. Sometimes a project gets seen by the right people in the last week and starts smashing through goals. Sure doubling the game's funding in 10 days seems impossible but it's happened before. I hope a bunch of the goals are met but I'm just glad the game is going to be made.

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

@Usagi-san So much hype is around it that I've watched the trailers despite my initial repulsion by the graphics (I don't like their style). Even after watching them, the gameplay looks very clunky, repetitive and boring, I prefer something like Rayman Origins, or a well polished platfighter like Gunman Clive.

LeVideoGamer

LeVideoGamer said:

Great, can't wait to get it. There has been a lot of promising games on Kickstarter lately.

On that note, I might have posted this before, but let's get River City Ransom Underground funded!

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

Great news! After the Kickstarter campaign is over, WayForward will be extending the chance to donate towards the stretch goals via PayPal.