Nintendo Download: 26th September (North America)

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

An epic tale is revisited, crazy fishing, a running discount and much more

It's Nintendo Download time, North America, with this week bringing new offerings to Wii U, 3DS and even DSiWare — it's the latest handheld that has the most content. A particularly enticing first-person RPG features in the retail downloads, while some sequels and WiiWare remakes are among the 3DS eShop titles; check out the details below.

Wii U Virtual Console

Donkey Kong 3 (Nintendo, $4.99) — The third entry in the original DK series now arrives on the Wii U Virtual Console, adding to its library of NES offerings. This one is quite a departure from its predecessors as you attempt to shoot the big ape with bug spray, which certainly is a change. We'll take another look, but in the meantime you can cast your eyes over our original Wii Virtual Console Donkey Kong 3 review, in which it bugged us rather than made us go ape.

Wii U eShop Temporary Discount

BIT.TRIP Presents: Runner 2 - Future Legend of Rhythm Alien (Gaijin Games, $9.99 from 1st to 7th October, normally $14.99)

3DS eShop

Carps & Dragons (Abylight, $4.99) — Although rebranded, this is in many respects a re-release of WiiWare title Fish'em All!; there are key improvements, such as physical controls instead of motion equivalents and a more steady pace at which to play. With three modes to work through, this is worth consideration for arcade fishing fans, as our Carps & Dragons review makes clear.

Family Table Tennis 3D (ARC System Works, $4.99) — Another WiiWare title is reborn on the 3DS eShop, with 8 family members competing across six stages in the main game; there are also three mini-games and achievements included. We weren't particularly impressed with the Wii original, but will find a sweatband and take to the table once again.

Mystery Murders: The Sleeping Palace (Microvalue, $7.99) — It's the second Mystery Murders title from Microvalue, this time focusing on a palace that's fallen victim to mysterious powers. Its predecessor on the 3DS eShop, Jack the Ripper, was a rather average hidden object game underneath the mystery of the storyline. We'll dig out our magnifying glass to check this one out.

3DS Retail Downloads

Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millenium Girl (Atlus, $39.99) — Arriving on the 3DS eShop along with the retail release on 1st October, this is a retelling of the original Etrian Odyssey on DS. It does sport improvements over the original, notably a story mode with set characters and more structure to proceedings, along with a Classic mode for series veterans or those that want to choose their own path. It refines the series brand of self-direction and first-person dungeon crawling, and we gave it a glowing recommendation in our Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millenium Girl review.

Rune Factory 4 (XSEED, $39.99) — The popular series returns on the 3DS, with lands to cultivate, relationships to develop and monsters to battle. Available from 1st October.

Let's Ride: Best in Breed 3D (TREVA Entertainment, $19.99) — It's another horse-raising sim on the 3DS eShop, with this one tasking you with raising your foals and helping them to practice their jumps, with AR card and StreetPass features included. We'll muck out the stable to bring you a review.

Paws & Claws: Pampered Pets Resort 3D (TREVA Entertainment, $19.99) — If horses aren't on your wishlist this week, perhaps this pet sim is an option. As well as caring for the pets and playing assorted minigames, you'll be tasked with expanding the resort as a business; we'll see if it gives us 'paws' for thought.

3DS eShop Temporary Discount

Shin Megami Tensei IV ($39.99 until 14th October, normally $49.99)

DSiWare

Astro (Enjoy Gaming, $2.99) — This appears to be a space-based shoot-em-up, with a battle over "Star Platinum" with a "vast pirate fleet". It promises eight main levels (with 4 sub levels each), 18 enemy types and three standard difficulty modes, with a fourth INSANE option as an unlockable. We'll see whether this is a blast in our upcoming review.

Quite a lot to choose from, but will any of these options part you from your funds? Let us know what you plan to download in the poll and comments below.

What will you be downloading first this week? (267 votes)

Donkey Kong 3 (Wii U Virtual Console)

BIT.TRIP Presents: Runner 2 - Future Legend of Rhythm Alien (Wii U eShop temporary discount)

Carps & Dragons (3DS eShop)

Family Table Tennis 3D (3DS eShop)

Let's Ride: Best in Breed 3D (3DS eShop)

Mystery Murders: The Sleeping Palace (3DS eShop)

Paws & Claws: Pampered Pets Resort 3D (3DS eShop)

Etrian Odyssey: The Millenium Girl (3DS retail download)

Rune Factory 4 (3DS retail download)

Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS retail download temporary discount)

Astro (DSiWare)

Nothing for me this week

73%

Please login to vote in this poll.

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

I was actually thinking DK3 was never released on Wii VC, but noticed it was on the Wii shop last weekend. I thought to myself, I'll wait until it comes to Wii U, and BAM here it is. Thinking about EO, but I typically go physical on the 3DS side.

Oh yeah, and pick up Runner2 if you haven't, it's one my favorites!

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

SMT IV IMO should be 29.99. Always thought the eshop version should've been 10$ cheaper!

Also going retail for EO. Pre order bonus ftw! Otherwise I would dl it.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Well nothing for me this week, Guess I will be picking up some games that I still need to get. I was hoping that Super Mario Bros 3 would be coming to the 3DS VC.

Luigifan141

Luigifan141 said:

@tchaten Donkey Kong 3 is another arcade DK game like Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr.. Here's what MarioWiki has to say about the game:

"Donkey Kong breaks into Stanley the Bugman's greenhouse and goes to hang in the rafters where he stirs up nests of bugs, which will destroy Stanley's flowers in revenge. Armed with a can of fly spray, Stanley must destroy the bees and chase Donkey Kong away before he eats all five of his vegetables."

"The game is very simplistic, requiring the player to gather points as the object rather than have any specific long-term goal in mind. There are three rounds, and once the player completes all three, they return to the first. Throughout the levels are scattered various enemies: Buzzbees, Beespies, Queen Buzzbees which shatter into deadly pieces when destroyed, Buttiflies, Beebombs, Vine Eaters, and Creepies. The bees attempt to steal Stanley's flowers, and the bees must be destroyed before reaching the plants. Donkey Kong himself hangs from two vines at the top of the screen. Spraying him drives him upwards and eventually off the screen to win the level. In the third stage, when he is defeated, his head is stuck in a beehive."

I've played it a few times, and I've never really been a fan of it. Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr. are better games, and you should only buy Donkey Kong 3 if you're really curious about it. In the long run, it's not really worth your cash, though.

SuperMalleo

SuperMalleo said:

Nintendo is TOO lazy to put a simple game as Super Mario Bros. 3. Can't believe they did this to me.

LordGeovanni

LordGeovanni said:

Wow that is a lot of games... Too bad NONE of them are interesting to me. I might be interested later in Rune Factory 4... but I am a physical copy guy all the way. And even with that, the RF series has just turned into another form of Harvest Moon. I liked the first Rune Factory compared to the sequels...

FiveDigitLP

FiveDigitLP said:

Man...at first I read that as Donkey Kong Country 3 on the VC. I thought, "Nintendo is putting the DKC games back on the VC?!"

Tis a shame...

TreesenHauser

TreesenHauser said:

I'm gonna pass this week. Sorta disappointed we get stuck with Donkey Kong 3 after getting Super Mario Bros. last week.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

Where's TNT Racers - Nitro Machines Edition? Shouldn't it be on the American e-Shop by now?

FiveDigitLP

FiveDigitLP said:

@ricklongo It seems like the problem IS due to Rare, but it just doesn't really make sense to me. I mean, they had all three of them up on the Wii VC for the longest time, so what changed? When they took them down, I assumed something else was going on and they'd be back up eventually. I wish I'd snagged them at the time.

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

Epic week! Also, it was brought to my attention that SMT IV is $42.99 on amazon almost exclusively.

Whopper744

Whopper744 said:

Man, come on....Donkey Kong 3 doesn't really even feel like what I know to be a 'Donkey Kong' game. Now, Donkey Kong COUNTRY 3 is another story. Fantastic game. I actually just did another full 103% run of it this past week. I wish they would give us a reason at least as of why not the Country games or DK64 aren't showing up (of course at least, I do have the original carts of all of these still)

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

@FiveDigitLP - Yeah, I never understood that either. I mean, obviously Nintendo was savvy enough at the time of the original DKC games to add some sort of clause to the contract that permitted them to use the game freely in the future? Nintendo WAS the publisher after all, and they own the actual IP.

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

Hello all, I've updated some pricing details, we're still waiting for quite a few.

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

The VC, particularly Wii U's, has just become pathetic. In all the months it's been around, Earthbound is the only release unique to Wii U VC. And most 3DS VC releases are NES repeats already on Wii AND Wii U VC. Nintendo even treats old releases like an event (like SMB 3 forthcoming... all due respect to it). I don't know why I even check this article every week. I guess to see if one of the Game Boy Mega Man sequels have arrived (where are they...). I know better than to even hope for anything special on Wii U. Of course, at least it got ONE release this week.

Sad thing is, if Nintendo released something new and exciting like Earthbound more often, it could be used as a selling point for Wii U. I hate being negative and blowing off steam like this, but Wii U VC is one uninteresting joke right now. Nintendo should be trying harder than this, especially when it's supposedly trying to pull Wii U from the abyss. I even find that effort questionable.

Sorry to be a complainer, but VC is what I look forward to each week, and it's become absolutely pitiful.

EDIT: 77% "nothing for me this week" as of this edit. I think that says it all. If Nintendo wants to push digital downloads on us with actions like releasing Wind Waker a fortnight earlier on eShop, they might want to try improving their non-retail selection, such as the VC releases. I'd encourage those who agree to express their displeasure on Club Nintendo surveys. I know it does little good complaining here, beyond getting the frustration off one's chest.

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

No games for me since I am hoping to get that Pokemon X & Y 3DS XL on the 4th. Praying to God that it won't be sold out everywhere before then.

kitroplious

kitroplious said:

Nintendo has failed again to provide all details in their PR (unless Super Street Fighter IV, TNT Racers has been pushed back)

Also, not happy about the mis-information on Picross e3 PR as well, as that said it was marked for a September release in North America and Europe.

So we could be at loss of THREE games here, thanks to some of those PR's. Not happy...

kitroplious

kitroplious said:

Either Capcom, Nintendo and/or Jupiter Corporation needs to be launched into space (not for real, but literally), for three or less big cough ups in their press releases.

bizcuthammer

bizcuthammer said:

Wow. What a lame week. As far as VC stuff goes, its extremely disappointing that we only get one per week, and Ninty still has yet to put up N64 and GBA support when it was announced in January. We should be getting 2-3 games per week. And really, Donkey Kong 3?! Over stuff like Mario Bros 3, Mega Man 5, Star Fox, Super Mario RPG, Yoshi's Island, Link to the Past, Donkey Kong Country 1-3, Final Fantasy II & III, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Mega Man X2 & X3, and tons of other great games?! You're sitting on a treasure trove of the best retro games ever, and you're gonna give us only one per week, and you pick Donkey Kong 3? Go home, Ninty, you're drunk.

kitroplious

kitroplious said:

I'll let the TNT Racers dev off the hook this time, but the other three should know better.

failtorespond

failtorespond said:

@bizcuthammer I totally agree with you. There's not even any VC stuff for the 3ds this week apparently, total disappointment.

I want to give Nintendo my money but apparently they are not in tune with that idea. lol..

grovertheblue

grovertheblue said:

With a less than exciting list of downloads this week, one has to wonder where the second Wii U "Summer" system update is? That would be worth some interest :)

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

Gah rune factory coming out near the same time as pokemon, where am I going to find time to play both.

Donjwolf

Donjwolf said:

Still no Revenge of the 'Gator or Star Soldier. That tennis game would be great if I don't already have Virtua Tennis 4 on my Vita. I also already preordered RF4 at EB.

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

Only DK3 for Wii U? I want new games, not the all same library from Wii VC. (and more Neo Geo games please)

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

I'm waiting on the Astro Review, but I guess I'll pick up Bit.Trip on sale in the meantime. I already have it on PS+, but I'm not renewing my Subscription.

sleepinglion

sleepinglion said:

Wow... another crippling VC week. DK3... really? It was cute and all but man, there are so many other 8 and 16-bit classics I think folks MIGHT have been more jazzed about. Nothing for me this week, but I am enjoying Wind Waker =)

Darknyht

Darknyht said:

I look forward to the day when the Wii U releases are as numerous as the 3DS releases.

KillerGBH

KillerGBH said:

we want big game like Super mario Kart , legend of zelda link to past , donkey kong SNES version or some other great snes title. japan got mario kart virtual console since over 4 month and what about us north america ? still waiting ugh so sad

Watch the language -Lz

pariah164

pariah164 said:

Nothing for me this week; may snag RF4 at a later date. Right now, my focus/hype is fully on Pokemon Y.

WinterWarm

WinterWarm said:

Really not much this week for me, maybe Astro. I still adamantly demand someone ( nSpace ) start making FPS titles for 3DS. The lack in absolutely ridiculous.

suburban_sensei

suburban_sensei said:

I was looking forward to getting SMB3, but oh well I am sure it will come soon. I have other stuff to keep me busy until it releases.

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

Wow! 78% of people voted "Nothing for Me". Quite frankly, I don't blame them. I did too - NOTHING for me this week :'(

By the way, even if you enjoyed Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr, you may not like DK3. To say it is an oddball is an understatement. I never could figure out the mechanics, so no download for me.

CaptMcCloudAran

13 - Final Fight III
14 - Yoshi's Island
15 - Gundam Wing: Endless Duel

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

@StarDust

I agree with you on the Nothing for me this week too. :(

I'd download Let's Ride Best in Breed - 3ds if I didn't already own it in cartridge form already. I bought it when it came out & love it but the rets of the download's for this week are just sad...

& Where is Around the World with Hello Kitty - 3DS in the North American E-shop? Even in the coming soon category I looked & found nothing in the e-shop over here... :'( Hope the european's are enjoying the game. Would still like to know when it's released over here in the US/North American E-shop as cartridge or download either way I'm buying the game no matter which route I have to take to get it by downloading or cartridge but want to play hello kitty - 3DS.

Or the American name for the same game is:

Travel Adventures with Hello Kitty- 3DS - same game as Around the World with Hello Kitty - 3DS but when does it get released over here?!

Some of us have been waiting for hello kitty - 3ds game since it was released in japan last year in june 2012... :'(

3 different websites I've checked have release dates for Travel Adventures with Hello Kitty - 3DS saying Oct 1st, & Oct 4th

Toys R Us, & Gamefly, NewEgg

I keep checking GameStop's website & the e-shop to see if the game will be added or even show up on Gamestop's website for even a release date let alone screenshots & box cover art & nothing so far... :'(

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

SubZer023

SubZer023 said:

yess i want DKC games But i really really really Want my Final fantasy Games VC on 3DS the most of the most I-IV

Blue_Yoshi

Blue_Yoshi said:

DK3 is something I'm interested in, but not for $5. When will Nintendo get the hint that 99 cent games would make their NES VC profits skyrocket?

gamerphil07

gamerphil07 said:

Aww, MAN! I misread DK3 as Donkey Kong COUNTRY 3... oh well, DK3 is by no means a bad game.

therick112

therick112 said:

I thought this was a waste of a week, but didn't see Rune Factory 4 at first. Not going to do EO Untold, since I still have EO 3 and 4 to play without going back to re-play the original. RF4 is a definite tho!

Eisenbolan

Eisenbolan said:

You missed these price reductions.
Classic Games Oveload $9.99 until 10/1 from $29.99
Tangram Style $3.99 until 10/31 from $6.99

This is from the eshop directly.

JustinH

JustinH said:

So much available and yet so little I want. Gives me a chance to get through Wonderful 101 and Breath of Fire II, though!

ajcismo

ajcismo said:

Got home from work, checked out the downloads... hmmm.... yeah... Should've seen this stinker of a week coming. Its ok, WWHD is more than enough to continue to keep me occupied.

ogo79

ogo79 said:

someone please say "aw come on! what about wii vc?!"
i miss that comment :)

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

Donkey Kong 3? What about Donkey Kong COUNTRY 3? Or ANY DKC for that matter? Speaking of 3, where's Super Mario Bros. 3?

Virtual Console is one of the main reasons I got a Wii, a 3DS, and a Wii U. To play classic games I couldn't before.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@UnseatingKDawg
No doubt man. Straight up garbage for VC the last few months, with a few rare exceptions. No longer will I buy any VC games until they start bringing the good stuff. I refuse to send the message that this is ok any longer. I don't mind crap like Donkey Kong 3 releasing, AS LONG AS they release something good along side it! But they won't do that, because then no one would buy the lesser game. Hell, only 1% of people on a NINTENDO FAN SITE are planning to buy that game, I can only imagine how dead sales will be to the general public lol...

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

Slammin' retail releases => garbage VC.

Garbage retail releases => garbage VC

When are they gonna bring something worthwile?!! All year, and the only truly great VC games I have to show from Nintendo are Super Mario World, Super Metroid, and Earthbound. I have more great VC from Capcom than Nintendo right now lol... this is getting ridiculous. Well, by 2017 we might start seeing N64 games, and hopefully we'll see Gamecube VC before I'm on my deathbed...

hcfwesker

hcfwesker said:

Everyone should expect SMB 3 VC to co-release with Mario 3D Worlds.
On a side note: Checking these topics have always been the highlight of my Thursday mornings. My thursdays have been very sad lately with whats being released for WiiU VC. I expected some DK games to help build hype for Tropical Freeze, but NES DK3?!?!?! Noone would've bought that if it were part of the 30 cent promotion. They should be releasing the DKC SNES games every few weeks apart building up for Tropical Freeze's release.

Obito_Tennyson

Obito_Tennyson said:

Oh, come on! I want my 3DS Virtual Console games! America and Europe were practically even when Kirby's Dream Land 2 got announced for August 1 in America. Doesn't America have more sales than Europe? This is ridiculous, the NES wasn't even popular back in the 80's. It was all about Sega over there as I heard from multiple British and Swedish Youtubers and online friends.

Relias

Relias said:

I don't know.. I guess I am a rarity.. so much in the fact that I enjoyed Donkey kong 3.. yeah it featured Bug Spray and what not.. but heck at least you could actually go down.. (Which is more than I can say about the original DK.. where apparently you die.. by missing a jump that moves you upward..) But in all honesty I have fond memories of DK3.. not the best in the original trilogy.. (That would be DK Jr. for the record) but it is not nearly as bad as some people make it out to be.. it is actually good.. I might pick it up..

MAB

MAB said:

The thing is there really isn't many good games on NES & SNES, Nintendo know this that's why you lot are buying the same old stuff they have already released on Wii... Bring on the SEGA systems ;)

rjejr

rjejr said:

Kung Fu Rabbit is on sale for $2.49. It wasn't in the write-up so I'm guessing its been on sale for awhile now? Anyway the sale ends soon (forget the date, next week some time)

The eShop needs a "Sale" section in a standard location up top. Looking all around at all those icons: "DLC" "Indie" "Multiplayer" "Popular" etc - that seem to move location every week. Last week a "Video" section had a SM3DW screenshot but there wasn't even a video in that section for that game.

And they need to list the file size, preferably in MB or GB. Every title has a long list of info - title, price, # of players, release date, accessories, languages - and at the bottom it always says "you made need an external HD to download this game". They have enough room for all that info but can't add the file size to let us KNOW if we need an external HDD? Ridiculous. Not even the Download Management screen lists the file size, just how long it will take. What company creates a "Download manager" application that doesn't tell you the file size? Displaying that info should be the 1st thing that's coded into the app.

TonLoco

TonLoco said:

@divinealpha Super street fighter IV is available in the NA eshop now. I had to use the search all downloadable content option to find it but it is ready to be purchased for $19.99.

SetupDisk

SetupDisk said:

If Rune Factory 4 has gotten rid of the horrible rune system featured in the wii game I will gladly get it.

Wanderhope

Wanderhope said:

Oof. Would love to get Rune Factory if it wasn't sandwiched in the busiest release year ever. Still trying to finish SMTIV and Dream Team before I get Pokemon and A Link Between Worlds. Trying not to buy another game until I finish those two! Surely, I will fail...

3dcaleb

3dcaleb said:

such a lame week for the 3ds, i am sure wishing that runner2 comes to the 3ds in any form. i know that good ones are coming like smb3, space harrier 3d ect... but please, nintendo, give us at least a few good games for the 3ds each week until then. i want to give u my money but sometimes u make it impossible for weeks at a time.