Monster Hunter 4 Launch Sales Estimated to be a Series High

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Surpassing PSP release Monster Hunter Portable 3rd

Earlier this week we reported that Monster Hunter 4 had surged to number one in the Japanese charts, selling an outstanding 1,715,060 units at physical retail in just two days.

Those figures were impressive, but Media Create has estimated that the latest release may have enjoyed the biggest-selling debut in the series' history. The honour has belonged to Monster Hunter Portable 3rd on PSP, which sold 1.951 million units in its opening week — over five days as opposed to the two days enjoyed by Monster Hunter 4 — but estimates of download sales may take the latest entry past that total. It's been reported that retailers sold around 155,000 download card for Monster Hunter 4, and it's estimated that roughly 100,000 further copies have been sold directly on the eShop, taking its loose total to around 1.97 million sales, creeping past the PSP title's debut with three less days on the market.

These figures are further proof, not that it was needed, that Monster Hunter 4 has enjoyed an outstanding start in Japan. Even accounting for a steep drop after its hotly anticipated debut, Capcom's target of 2.8 million sales before 31st March 2014 is looking like a fairly safe bet, while this strong performance shouldn't do any harm to Nintendo's chances of retaining further support for future releases in the franchise.

In case you didn't pick up the news previously, meanwhile, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is half price in North America and Europe until early morning on 22nd September — both the Wii U and 3DS versions are discounted on their respective eShop platforms. The Tokyo Game Show also closes on the same day, and if a localisation announcement were to follow the end of the sale we would absolutely lose our composure.

Even if that doesn't happen, we like to dream.

[via siliconera.com]

distantwolfx44

distantwolfx44 said:

Just bought MH3U... But if they do localize it this year I'd rip my hairs off of both excitement and frustration.

MrKenta

MrKenta said:

Come on Capcom, I know you can release this here 1 year after 3U was released.

Senario

Senario said:

Good on Capcom, I hope they work on MH4G and have a simultaneous worldwide release for it. More monster hunter isn't a bad thing. I would say based on gameplay vids that MH3U is better for new players.

Macarony64

Macarony64 said:

Capcom have been thinking on bringing mh to Nintendo handheld since the DS but the console wasn't strong enough now that the 3ds is a very capable handheld they are bathing in money.

Emblem

Emblem said:

localization is a sure thing, i'd say easter is a likely release window.

JuanitoShet

JuanitoShet said:

The number of sales for this title are INSANE. And to think they're only from Japan so far... D:

MAB

MAB said:

We need more Monster Hunter in the west and less braindead games like GTA ;)

MAN1AC

MAN1AC said:

Getting this game on the 3DS is one of the best moves Iwata has done so far.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

CAPCOM: Attention everyone! We will be bringing Monster Hunter 4 to North America this holiday season. Furthermore, we have developed a Wii U version to coincide with the 3DS version, and the two will feature cross-play capabilities and in-game chat.

Ha.....ha ha..... yeah, right.

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

...Can't wait for this to come over, would love to experience more old monsters. :p

Hamguar

Hamguar said:

Def would lose my everything over a localization announcement. I needs me some MonHun 4 Deviljho Rajang Rage hunting here.

Falk_Sturmfels

Falk_Sturmfels said:

Yeah, bring it to EU also. But wait until next year, I´m at 350 hours now and still at the G-Rank in MH3U.

belmont

belmont said:

The PSP game could also have a lot of digital sales in the first week though. Anyway I look forward to Monster Hunter 4 although I may have to use circle pad pro. In the third game it seemed almost essential to me.

ajcismo

ajcismo said:

I admit, I'm a MH noob. The half-price MH3 this week swayed me to purchase it, but I won't be starting the game until after I'm done with WWHD.

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

I absolutely loved playing Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate so I can't wait for Monster Hunter 4 to get released in the west. It will most likely be next year though.

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

That's both a good and a bad thing. If it doesn't meet these sales expectations, then they could lose money, but it means the game will be more polished.

silo2142

silo2142 said:

I decided to mh3u 3ds because it was on sale, What have I been missing out on!

Hamguar

Hamguar said:

@ajcismo good stuff! Just take your time and pace yourself. It is a bit slow starting but when you get to your first large monster you will be in for a helluva time. Personally I love hunting Zinogre. From music to his moves it is a battle of epicness. Only game I've logged in 800+ hours and still get that itch to play even after this break i'm taking.

Snkfiend

Snkfiend said:

Good Game Trash Company weird......I like Phoenix Wright and Monster Hunter (last games they didn't flush down the toilet yet) but I hate Crapcom and they BS business practices probably buy this used that's better deal for me.