Japan Getting Two New 3DS Colours, Pure White and Clear Black

Posted by Andy Green

Brings the total number of systems in the region to around 7,499

Japan has certainly had its fair share of exclusive 3DS systems over the years. For example, the Metallic Red 3DS, the special Luigi 3DS XL, the Kingdom Hearts 3DS and the lovely little Eevee 3DS XL are all available in the country while the West looks on longingly.

Well, the region has now been given two more consoles to add to the ever-expanding list: Pure White and Clear Black. Both these standard 3DS systems will emerge on 10th October and they look pretty neat.

The new PlayStation Vita will launch on the same day in various colours. Let battle commence.

What are your thoughts on the new designs? Let us know in the comment section below.

[via dualshockers.com, nintendo.co.jp]

BooJoh

BooJoh said:

I thought "Clear Black" would be translucent like the Smoke Black N64, but those pics appear to be fully opaque. Disappointed.

6ch6ris6

6ch6ris6 said:

i already have a cosmo black. this is just the same but with a bigger sd-card packed in

cfgk24

cfgk24 said:

@mystman12 Yes, the Cosmo Black one has a graded lighter to darker black'smoke' effect so the 'black' by the 3d camera lenses is darker than the black by the hinge. :)

WingedSnagret

WingedSnagret said:

Oh boy, more 3DS colors we'll never get to choose from...

Though for the record this particular bunch doesn't look all that interesting.

LeVideoGamer

LeVideoGamer said:

All these colours and I still can't get a Black 3DS XL without having to buy Monster Hunter. Damn.

Ren

Ren said:

the weird doctored promo images don't show it to look any different than the regular black one. So yeah, meh.

eLarkos

eLarkos said:

I would imagine the difference is that this black 3ds does not have a different shade of black for each layer like the cosmo black. Also the black wont fade from light to dark on the top cover as has been previously mentioned in the comments

Squid

Squid said:

I don't see how these are any different than the Cosmo Black and Icy White...

rjejr

rjejr said:

With all the characters Nintendo owns I don't see the point of a solid white one except as a backdrop for a picture of something. Maybe they should sell a set of re-applicable stickers. Or put the Wii U logo on it ;-)

Morpheel

Morpheel said:

Am I the only one noticing the lack of the gradient and inner sparkles?

That's obviously the reason for the name.

AVahne

AVahne said:

The black one does look pure black, instead of Cosmo Black's black and grey.
The white one...I can't tell the difference.

gamingreal

gamingreal said:

Pah I have the AC 3ds xl so there,
I know people like to hate the XL but who can argue with bigger screens and a better battery life, not to mention I think the XLs look a lot nicer in comparison to the standard 3ds

Volke93

Volke93 said:

Let the battle commence..... It's a lost cause. The 3ds has Pokemon and Monster Hunter on it's side, how in the world PSVita would beat it?

Mikazi

Mikazi said:

Have they changed the Start, Select and Home buttons? They actually look like buttons in the pictures

iphys

iphys said:

I think they just quietly wanted to discontinue all the original 2 GB models to introduce 4 GB ones, or maybe it's cheaper for them to manufacture a plain black paint job than the varied black on the original.

OdnetninAges

OdnetninAges said:

There was a Kingdom Hearts model 3DS?

looks at it

Wow! Too bad it didn't make it to the states.

At least we got Zelda, Fire Emblem Awakening, Pikachu XL, and Pokemon X & Y models, though.

Yoshis_VGM

Yoshis_VGM said:

Okay...so what is the difference between these and the existing black and white models? Are they shinier?

And even if they did come to the US, I'd stick to my flame red 3DS. Love the color! :D

NINTENCHIP

NINTENCHIP said:

I just want a different color than "red". =_=

I was happy to get my gaming on, but damn it, this red 3DS is killing me seeing how that special edition one is coming soon. Wish I had the warranty and a peculiarly placed cup of water...

Purple

Purple said:

i always wanted an all white one... with a black border around the screen. but im happy with my purple one.

Lalivero

Lalivero said:

When will the day come where I can get my orange 3ds (xl)?

...Instead of the million variations of black and white...so boring.

Sampras

Sampras said:

I'll be honest. The only reason I haven't bought a 3DS XL is because it doesn't come in white yet.