Hideki Kamiya "Would Be Honoured" If One Of His Creations Made It Into Smash Bros.

Posted by Damien McFerran

Not so keen on making Star Fox anymore, however

The Wonderful 101 creator Hideki Kamiya has revealed to Polygon that he'd love to see one of his characters make it into a Super Smash Bros. title.

Arguably one of Japan's most recognisable developers, Kamiya has always insisted that he's a massive Nintendo fan, and he's clearly keen to be involved with the famous fighting game series:

Even if there's been discussion between me and Mr. Sakurai, obviously it's something I wouldn't be able to talk about. But I'm a Nintendo fan at heart. Even creating games with the Nintendo logo on them is really impactful for me. So if there was ever the opportunity to feature one of my characters in a Nintendo game, obviously I would be extremely honored.

As is customary when interviewing Kamiya, Polygon also asked about when he's making a new Star Fox game. Sadly, it would appear that all the recent pestering has gotten to the esteemed designer, as he replied:

I've been known for saying I want to work on Star Fox, but the tendency for this to spread and people constantly pestering me with questions, like 'How would you do this? How would you do that?' ... Quite frankly, I've decided I don't want to work on Star Fox anymore.

As one door opens, another shuts. We may see Bayonetta or Wonder-Red in Smash Bros., but the dream of a Kamiya-made Star Fox outing has faded — and it's all our fault.

[via polygon.com]

turnmebackwards

turnmebackwards said:

Having characters from The Wonderful 101 in Smash Bros, Would only help get The Wonderful 101 more noticed.

BATRA

BATRA said:

WHO IS MAKING STAR FOX THEN?
OTHER RUMOR IS RETRO MIGHT BE MAKING IT I HEARD

MrGawain

MrGawain said:

If the 101 are in Smash, there's more chance of a 2nd game, so it needs to happen!

I would imagine a Pokémon trainer type setup between Red, Blue, Green and Pink would work quite well. Not sure about Bayonetta stripping her hair clothes off to slap the ice climbers around would be appropriate though....

Hunter-D

Hunter-D said:

Bayonetta might add something different to the Smash Bros roster I believe.

We know the conditions that Sakurai works with when considering character inclusions, I think Bayonetta would probably add some unique characteristics that's missing from all the others.

MeWario

MeWario said:

I must make a note to ask him about Starfox the next time I see him haha

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

Ok, I'm kind of a stinker when it comes to caps lock, buuuuuuuuut...
MAKEITHAPPENMAKEITHAPPENMAKEITHAPPENMAKEITHAPPENMAKEITHAPPENMAKEITHAPPENMAKEITHAPPENMAKEITHAPPENMAKEITHAPPENMAKEITHAPPENMAKEITHAPPENMAKEITHAPPENMAKEITHAPPENMAKEITHAPPENMAKEITHAPPENMAKEITHAPPENMAKEITHAPPENMAKEITHAPPENMAKEITHAPPENMAKEITHAPPENMAKEITHAPPENMAKEITHAPPENMAKEITHAPPENMAKEITHAPPENMAKEITHAPPENMAKEITHAPPENMAKEITHAPPENMAKEITHAPPENMAKEITHAPPENMAKEITHAPPENMAKEITHAPPEN

WindWakerLink

WindWakerLink said:

sighs "the fans mess up something again...." I don't even wanna go there now. Pokemon Direct is in 8 minutes!!! Can't wait!! Haha!

erv

erv said:

The wonderful 101 is an awesome game, it would be great to see them as a character in smash bros.

Jaz007

Jaz007 said:

He still might want to work on it if Nintendk offered it, I can understand why he's tired of the questions though. They will probably stop now though.

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

Nintendo didn't get where it is today by listening to fans and doing exactly what they wanted so I very much doubt Platinum will get StarFox and I'm equally sure that Nintendo will have Retro do something surprising after DKC:TF

Hejiru

Hejiru said:

"Quite frankly, I've decided I don't want to work on Star Fox anymore."

Good. Let Nintendo themselves do the next one.

Shambo

Shambo said:

Bayonetta in Smash Bros and I'll have a new main character! Unless they also (FINALLY) decide to give Doshin and Chibi Robo their well earned entry. After Legends, I think even Rayman is entitled a spot in the roster. And Chase or Frank from Lego City should be trophies or support characters at least.

Also, WHY CAN'T PEOPLE LEAVE HIM ALONE? Doesn't everyone know by now that no one, especially him, wants to be constantly asked the same questions? Don't they know they'll just make him 'not want to do this anymore'?

rjejr

rjejr said:

I don't see sales of W101 warranting a SSB inclusion (sorry, I do want W101, but numbers are numbers) but Bayonetta should replace Snake.

Unless I missed it and Wii U is getting MGSV: The Phantom Pain.

Is there a petition somewhere I could sign for Bayonetta in, Snake out?

Ferret

Ferret said:

Knowing Kamiya, that's probably confirmation that he's actually working on Starfox now.

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

Not that this is a specific example of this situation, I'm hoping with all the biting back that game makers are doing these days that the gaming community at large learns to be more respectful. I also hope that the game makers know that the vocal, angry internet mobs do not represent all fans, and us good guys love and appreciate their work!

Savino

Savino said:

@CaviarMeths Or he quit working with nintendo...

I think I am the only one, but I never felt confidence in Mr Kamiya when he talks about his work with the Big N! Something tells me that he doesnt like the experience that much!

MorriganIsHot

MorriganIsHot said:

No thanks, keep his characters away from this game. Bring on Sonic, Pac Man, Little Mac, Palutena, Captain Syrup and King K Rool.

yuwarite

yuwarite said:

Retro's next game will be another 2D Donkey Kong and then another one after that.

element187

element187 said:

@Savino he's probably crushed Wonderful 101 didn't do very well in Europe and Japan.

Hopefully my fellow North American gamers will buy Wonderful 101, I know thats my most anticipated game until Super Mario 3D World drops.... besides bright, colorful game featuring Super Heroes, kinda of sounds like a game geared towards mostly North America.

Savino

Savino said:

@element187 I wouldn't keep my hopes high... This game is perfect for the european and japanese targets, not much the american type...

Bayonetta is the best bet for sucess for platinum at WiiU, but the installed base need to get bigger for that!

True_Hero

True_Hero said:

So, he won't make Star Fox because people wouldn't leave him alone?
...
Nice job breaking him, micro-managers. :P

MussakkuLaden

MussakkuLaden said:

I understand the thing about Starfox... I also understand that a lot of fans both of Kamiya and Starfox would be amazed if he made such a game, but for a creative man like him it must be really annoying if people bring along certain expectations or demands. Do this, do it like that, etc. This is certainly killing the creativity and freedom he usually enjoys. Actually, it's a problem of Nintendo series in general.

Ryno

Ryno said:

Why is this guy interviewed so much? Did I miss something and this guy became the king of Nintendo video games?

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

I would be pretty disappointed if Wonder-Red made it into Smash Bros. and Bayonetta didn't. Wonder-Red may be from a much more kid friendly game, but it's unquestionable that Bayonetta is more popular and is a better character overall.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

No big deal, he was not promised to work on Star Fox anyway.

I would welcome one of his characters in Smash Bros. In MvC3 both Okami and Viewtiful Joe appear.

DerpSandwich

DerpSandwich said:

Putting a W101 character in Smash Bros. would be a great marketing move. How many people wanted to play a Fire Emblem game after unlocking Marth and Roy? I know I did.

AVahne

AVahne said:

Hoping Wonderful 101 gets more sales. Japan sales have been horrible, and I don't think European sales have been all that great either. I worry for the American release.

Megatonwhale

Megatonwhale said:

I think Wonder Red would lend himself to the SSB style much better than Bayonetta. But then again another addition to the female roster wouldn't hurt.

Neram

Neram said:

That's good news, I don't think Platinum would be the right developer for Star Fox. Hmm, let me think for a moment about a developer that would be right for it... Ah, yes! How about... Nintendo!?

As for Smash Bros. None of his characters are even that iconic really, or would fit in with Nintendo characters in Smash Bros. I mean, Solid Snake was pushing it, but I can't think of any Platinum character that would be suitable.

Neram

Neram said:

@TheLilK98 Sure, that would work, but who actually wants to see that character in Smash Bros.? He's only been in one game, which just came out last month. Hardly worthy of being in Nintendo's all-star line-up.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@turnmebackwards
A great point. Look at what Smash did for Fire Emblem... I can only imagine good things would come from Wonder Red featuring in Smash Bros 4.

TheLilK98

TheLilK98 said:

@Neram Ness has only been in one game, and a game most haven't even heard of. Yet he's been in every Smash so far. Lucas was in Brawl, despite his game not even being RELEASED in the US. Ice Climbers...they just exist.So the "all star" label isn't really as elite as you make it seem.

Neram

Neram said:

@TheLilK98 That's because Mother was developed by HAL who also make the bulk of Smash Bros. games. Not to mention Mother was successful in Japan. The fact that the games aren't successful or were not released in the U.S. isn't even close to an excuse for leaving them out. Being Nintendo characters is a good enough reason for them being in the game, Wonderful 101 is not Nintendo, and will likely go multiplatform anyway.

TheLilK98

TheLilK98 said:

@Neram Impossible, since Wonerful 101 is a Nintendo owned IP. Platinum only developed it. Therefore Wonder Red IS technically a Nintendo owned character.

EDIT: Spelling.

Epicnessofme99

Epicnessofme99 said:

I'm sure there'll be plenty of trophies/stickers/whatever Sakurai adds as collectibles in the next Smash Bros of Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2 and that much is certain. If the characters get in that'd be awesome though, I think Wonderful 101 characters will have a much better chance than Bayonetta though, they would just feel right if they were in Smash Bros and i'm not sure I could say the same for Bayonetta.

FJOJR

FJOJR said:

Smash Bros. is a wonderful place to showcase characters and franchises. It's like an All-Star game and Hall of Fame rolled into 1 game. And much like an All Star game does in sports it lets fans of other franchises to see characters from games they never noticed before. I know seeing Captain Falcon got me to get F-Zero GX much like Pit was revived through Brawl.

raith

raith said:

I would love to see Wonder Red in Smash Bros. Bad sales or not, he is part of the Nintendo family now. He also has the potential for a great move-set. I wouldn't mind Bayonetta being in the game. Hell, since she is making a big splash on the Wii-U, Nintendo might as well buy the IP. It's not like Sega is doing anything with it.

element187

element187 said:

@Savino American children eat up bright colored super hero fighting with bombastic music.... hence why Nintendo games sell gangbusters in America.

New IP's are always a hard sell, but parents are pretty good about picking up the brightest box on the shelf, and that would be W101.

Henmii

Henmii said:

"Even if there's been discussion between me and Mr. Sakurai, obviously it's something I wouldn't be able to talk about"

So we can assume it's on like Donkey kong! I am sure Bayonetta will be in it!