Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams Director Pleased with Early Wii U Sales

Posted by Tim Latshaw

Patch for GamePad music also said to be on its way

Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams is still a fresh arrival on the Wii U eShop, with just over 2 weeks’ exposure in Europe and a release only yesterday in North America. But it’s never too early to talk about sales expectations, right?

Adrian Goersch, managing director at developer Black Forest Games, told Beefjack that although Twisted Dreams came out earlier on other platforms, sales are so far “at the same level as on the other consoles.” Considering the game has been in the Top 10 on XBLA and PSN and Top 5 in Europe, this is an encouraging sign for its Wii U performance.

Goersch said he is looking towards January for more solid figures, following the holidays and the typical uptick in sales seen on Nintendo systems during this time.

DLC may be coming later on if sales live up to their potential on the Wii U, Goersch said, but a patch is guaranteed to come that will fix an overlooked sound issue for GamePad players:

We underestimated how many are actually playing on the pad, and we had no music support for it. But at least this problem is solved and will be patched very soon.

We had few nightmares over Twisted Dreams in our review, saying it “provides an innovative, entertaining and highly challenging experience.” Have you or do you plan to pick up this eShop title? Let us know below.

[via beefjack.com]

CyberNature

CyberNature said:

I just knew this game was going to do well on Wii U. I haven't played it myself yet, but after watching the trailer I thought it looked like something right up Nintendo fans' alley.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I got D&D yesterday, so this one will have to wait a bit. Too bad it was released so close to Rayman Legends, as I guess most people will pick that one instead.

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

I should wait until the patch is out, but I am looking forward to playing it! :)

Emblem

Emblem said:

Is it just me or is it just platformers that are doing well on the Wii U?

Indie and retail platform games have all met with more hype, anticipation and success then other genres.

And people wonder why Nintendo asked Retro to do DK and not StarFox.... Numbers don't lie, Nintendo fans love platformers in any shape or size it would seem. Personally i can only stomach one or two a year so i hope Nintendo don't have too many lined up for next year.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

Bought it day one, just yesterday. Played through two stages, and I can already safely say this is a great game. Challenging platforming, cool abilities, amazing graphics, hidden collectibles that actually take a sweat to find... what's not to like?

KingH3nrry

KingH3nrry said:

I'll be downloading this once the patch comes out... unless something else catches my interest!

Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad said:

I did not think that this game would sell THAT well. A promising future for the WiiU perhaps?

Macarony64

Macarony64 said:

@Emblem is not just that. Is almost impossible to gimp a platformer while the other genres on wiiu are missing tons of features at least I haven't had no missing features from Indies.

ToneDeath

ToneDeath said:

I've ordered Rayman Legends this time, but I'm pretty sure I'll be downloading Giana Sisters next pay day :)

The Wii U is shaping up to be the best place to play 2D platformers since the SNES and Mega Drive...or if you throw the Virtual Console into the mix, the best of all time!

bofis

bofis said:

I was sorta waiting for the patch since I also got Rayman Legends this week...but I'd love to help improve sales to encourage other developers to be nice to WiiU :-)

CyberNature

CyberNature said:

@Emblem

I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Nintendo fans love platformers just like Xbox fans love shooters and PlayStation fans love action games. Every system has its dominant genre.

sadsack777

sadsack777 said:

well said me matey. Nintendo needs to support all indie software for there good playable platformers it will help Nintendo get back on track /Giana Sisters: Twisted dreams is a must on my books

Shambo

Shambo said:

Like many others, I'll wait for the patch, then it'll be a matter of days before I'm playing it!

anders190

anders190 said:

It's good that they feel pleased with their sales already.

I bought it for PC last year and didn't like it myself so I won't get this either. Tried it again this summer but still disliked it. Giana Sisters for the Nintendo DS was really great though. :)

Pesty

Pesty said:

The games ok,but I've had it for ages on the 360 so I had no desire to buy it again on the Wii U.

Warruz

Warruz said:

We need Guacamelee to work its way over to the Wii U, would thrive here!

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

Please fix the gamepad audio. Sometimes I like to play off the screen when games allow it. I booted Giana Sisters tonight and was greeted with silence, but I'm glad to know it's being worked on.

Laxeybobby

Laxeybobby said:

I wonder if their next project Ravensdale will make it to the Wii U. Having watched the video on their website this is a game I would definitely buy for the Wii U

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@GamerJunkie It plays god awful on my PC (Looks like their Youtube demo though so I suppose that is as good as it can be).

Playing it like I want to (using the Rocket Knight like move most of the time to get the speed up) seems impossible to do accurately.

MeWario

MeWario said:

@unrandomsam I guess it just Eli inmates some of the risk (seeing as they would normally have to invest there own money in their projects. I wondered the same thing when I heard WayForward are kick-starting a Shaetae game.