Ghost Song: A Journey of Hope Misses Wii U Fundraising Target But May Still Arrive

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

"I'm working to make this happen anyway"

In August we brought you details of Ghost Song: A Journey of Hope, a crowdfunded project with stylistic references to Super Metroid, in particular. With bold plans to incorporate ideas from the likes of Dark Souls, its setting and storyline was promising to the extent that it quickly reached its funding targets for PC and Mac.

Clearly with its source inspiration in mind, the project added just one additional system as a stretch goal, requesting $60,000 — its original goal was $15,000 — to add a Wii U version. While a Hardcore Mode, Enhanced Pet System and Overtime Mode of extra content all made the cut, the final total of $54,007 was short of the Wii U stretch goal. Responding to disappointment with this missed target, the project's main man Matt White posted the following in his first update since the campaign closed.

To those who may be lamenting about the Wii U goal — I'm working to make this happen anyway. That's not official, but it's a desire of mine and I hope to have that out at some point, if not at release, then following release.

The main release is currently targeting May 2014, so we'll have to wait and see if and when the Wii U version comes to fruition. It's a project that looks intriguing, so we imagine would be welcome on the Wii U eShop.

[via kickstarter.com]

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

So far, between Kickstarter and indie projects we have a Zelda equivalent (whatever it was called), a Metroid equivalent (Ghost Song), a Mega Man equivalent (Mighty No. 9) and Shin-En's F-Zero-esque WiiWare game.

This is getting good. Really good.

Shambo

Shambo said:

Please, succeed. This seems to be an obvious choice, a Metroid-ish game on a Nintendo system. And it really looks good!

Kroisos

Kroisos said:

I'm starting to get annoyed with how many Kickstarters promise Wii U versions as a stretch goal. If they hit their funding target but not the stretch goal they get your money and don't have to make you a game. It feels like they're exploiting game-starved players.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

Okay, this is irritating now... first, he starts a fundraising campaign to cover the costs of development and devkits. NOW, he's telling us he's working on making it to WiiU without sufficient funding? Makes me question the point of the campaign...

odd69

odd69 said:

I should have backed this, I want stuff like this for the WiiU i mean, that's why i bought it. I cant afford to buy games then donate to every single kickstarter. I guess this is partly users fault but, how about just make it with the money he made,get a loan for the rest. Hope for the best afterwards. I think he is trying to take a chance on this one, Im keeping my eye on this.

I have a feeling that the ps3, xbox ,and pc will get this before WiiU will and does'nt surprise me one bit

Zach777

Zach777 said:

Hopefully this makes it to the Wii U since Nintendo is letting their "space" games (Metroid, Star Fox, F-Zero, Earthbound 0/3) die.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@Kroisos

I agree with you there. Specially when the Wii U stretch goal happens to be the last one of the list. Nice of Inafune of lowering the one he has for Mighty No 9.

Daggo

Daggo said:

@Kaze_Memaryu

I think he meant he's making what is possible to make it happen, maybe cutting some things there and there, but he is not making a promise.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

@Daggo I guess, but it still sounds irritating. He might've been better off if he just said that he'll see how far he can get by himself...