DuckTales: Remastered Coming to Retail on Wii U in North America

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Woo-oo!

DuckTales: Remastered is exactly what the title suggests, it's a re-worked modern version of the classic — and challenging — NES game. For fans of the original that fancied a shiny new run-through it's been largely well-received, but its old-school sensibilities also saw it cop some criticism; it's certainly down to taste.

Up to now it's been a download release on the eShop, of course, but it's been confirmed by Capcom that it'll arrive as a budget-priced retail disc on the Wii U in North America — previously a physical version was only confirmed for the PS3. It'll arrive in the region on 12th November and cost $19.99, which is $5 more expensive than the download version; if you want a box, you pay the price. There's been no equivalent announcement for Europe, but we'll keep our eyes peeled.

For our part, we were full of praise for this Capcom / WayForward release in our DuckTales: Remastered review. If you haven't downloaded it already, are you planning to save up some treasure to grab the disc version? Let us know in the comments below.

Whopper744

Whopper744 said:

This just makes me mad now. If I would have known I would have waited for the box. I'm a big Duck Tales fan since when the show as actually airing. Why didn't they tell us this from the start?

MetalMario

MetalMario said:

Is it actually going to be a disc, or just have a download code? The PS3 retail box included a limited edition pin and a download code for the game, and was $19.99.

photofool83

photofool83 said:

This is really frustrating. I'd much rather have had it on a disc but I've already downloaded it. Grrrr.

Hey Capcom how about you give me my money back and I'll go to the store and buy the disc version. Thanks.

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

I said disc in the article for a reason ;) Here's some text straight from the PR:

"DuckTales: Remastered will offer an all-new $19.99 disc-based alternative to players on Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and Wii U."

ShikabaneHime13

ShikabaneHime13 said:

Makes me wonder what that could mean for Ace Attorney Dual Destinies. Would be rather frustrating to find a couple months after release they would finally make a physical version after the majority of fans downloaded it....

DerpSandwich

DerpSandwich said:

I have no idea why they think this is a good idea. A newer version based on a super old game based on show that hasn't been popular in decades doesn't seem like the sort of thing that needs to take up space on the shelf at the store.

I know plenty of people prefer a hard copy, but from a business standpoint I don't see how they would make up enough of the population to warrant manufacturing and shipping and stocking and selling them. Especially when you consider that, as many people are commenting, everyone already got their digital copies! I just don't get it.

Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus said:

Capcom puts this on retail, but not Ace Attorney 5? Ok Capcom, now you're just trolling.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@DerpSandwich - "Especially when you consider that, as many people are commenting, everyone already got their digital copies! I just don't get it."

I think a lot of people who would buy this on disc don't even own Wii Us yet, much less the game. While parents are perusing the video game aisles this holiday trying to decide whether to buy their kids a Wii U for Christmas or not a lot of them may see this game and say - "hey look, Ducktales on the Wii U, I want that".

As much as I think W101 could have been a DL only game (pointing out my hypocrisy before somebody else does) b/c many people won't know what that is on a store shelf, I think a game like this w/ historic name recognition might work for parents this holiday. And only $19.99.

Mrclaycoat

Mrclaycoat said:

On the Wii U site, it states that Duck Tales is at the top of download sales. No actual sales numbers though

Ryno

Ryno said:

Well never got around to downloading this so I will pick up the boxed version. .

andrewmated

andrewmated said:

@rjejr @DerpSandwich
Not only that, but disc based versions of digital only games has a lot of appeal for fans who want to have a physical version of a game that is only digital, from Terrarria on PS3 to Minecraft on 360 to New Super Luigi U on Wii U. I do find it encouraging that they chose the Wii U as the first disc-based release. For many, it just adds a new option for consumers who want the game, and that's not a bad thing.

DerpSandwich

DerpSandwich said:

@andrewmated I'm not saying it's a bad thing, and as I said, I understand that there are people that want it. I'm just surprised they think that there are ENOUGH of those people. This game just seems a little too obscure to have any significant retail success. But hey, if they thought it was a good idea I guess they know what they're doing.

Pod

Pod said:

I love stories about digital released going boxed.

Max & the Magic Marker, Bit.Trip, Ducktales, Minecraft, even Angry Birds.

There's something great about seeing games take that step up the big ol' ladder, and reaching audiences that would otherwise never see it.

hypercoyote

hypercoyote said:

Awesome, glad I waited to get it now! Glad to see another game offering a retail option for a slightly higher premium. I think it sends a good message that yes, there are people who still want physical copies. If money savings is the reason for digital only, follow this trend and add a little bit into the price!

sleepinglion

sleepinglion said:

If you want a box, you pay the price. Great! So we can expect eShop digital versions of physical titles to all drop 5 bucks in price, yes? No? Ugh.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

If this was announced before the game was released, I would've waited, but I'm not upset. Capcom probably knew that a lot of people would've waited for the box and so they kept it secret so the game could have a strong download release. You can debate whether that was a good strategy or not, but I wouldn't want to pay $20 just for a box when I already have the game in my Wii U.

Now that others have mentioned, I wonder if this is a CD or just a download code?

Captain_Gonru

Captain_Gonru said:

Cool. Glad I waited.
And as to the "code vs. disc" question, while the previous PS3 box was a code, the press release stated this would be a disc.

Yosher

Yosher said:

Would much rather have gotten the game disc instead of download. But oh well.....

treeofmana

treeofmana said:

Oh wow! I'm so excited! This is my most wanted game on the Wii U right now. My wife and I preordered the Wind Waker Wii U bundle and we already bought the boxed New Super Luigi U so we can tide ourselves over until November 12. It was planned to be a digital immediate purchase but I prefer this option. Call me old school.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I would buy it again. But even if i knew about this i wouldnt have waited. I got it day 1. But great to have a physical option

ejamer

ejamer said:

Nice! I have a strong preference for physical versions of my games, and have been holding out on the Ducktales remake. When this gets released, I'll pick it up for Wii U.

WebHead

WebHead said:

Eh, can't say I care. I already downloaded and beat the eShop version and as much as I liked it, it's barely worth $15 nevermind $20.

Luffymcduck

Luffymcduck said:

@DerpSandwich
And Ducktales is based on comic stories by Carl Barks (he also invented Scrooge McDuck and numerous other characters) who was the best comic artist in America. So yes, I´m happy that this game gets to story shelves, at least in USA..:)

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

Man! I'd DEFINITELY have waited for this!

Hopefully other future e-Shop releases get the retail treatment. I'm still a box-in-the-shelf guy through and through.

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

So getting this. I'm getting a Wii U for my birthday hopefully even if I have to pay for part or all of it with birthday money.

burninmylight

burninmylight said:

I'll stick with the digital version if I ever get around to getting it soon. Five dollars cheaper, plus $1.50 in eShop credit, so more like $13.50. But if I wait a a year or two and wonder into a Gamestop, this would probably be like $8 or something.

SkywardCrowbar

SkywardCrowbar said:

I didn't play the original, and I'm not a fan of the show. However, I do know that the game is very well thought of and this remake was well regarded. If I were to pick this up in any form, it would be in the physical copy. I am all about those physical copies over download versions.

Bengals76

Bengals76 said:

I will not buy anything from Capcom now, I feel cheated! I bought the download on day one to show support and this is what we get in return? I am always buying used and waiting from here on out! They did it to themselves!!!!!!! Grrrrr!!!!!

idork99

idork99 said:

Smart move for Capcom. Seeing this game on the shelves will be an automatic purchase for the many gamers that go shopping at retail stores as opposed to purchasing download only games. You'd be surprised, there are many gamers who are out there that never shop on line and would never know the existence of this game.

@Bengals76 By chance, are you a Cincinnati Bengals fan? If so, that's awesome! I never see Bengals fans anywhere! WHO DEY!! Lol. If you are not a fan, I apologize and pay no mind to my comment.

stupidpupil

stupidpupil said:

This is especially awesome for me since BestBuy had a Pre-order 2 games save $10 on each promo, and I threw in Ducktales Wii U just thinking it was vaporware. Now I'll be receiving it for $10 :D

Squiggle55

Squiggle55 said:

Cool since it's a disc I'll probably buy it again for Wii u, since I already downloaded it on ps3

nocode

nocode said:

Well that kinda pisses me off... I always prefer to buy physical copies. Had I known this was coming I would have waited to buy. Oh well....

Firejonie

Firejonie said:

Like many others, I'm disappointed that they had to announce this after the game released. I would have gladly waited for this physical copy.

Guovssohas

Guovssohas said:

That's all fine and dandy. But why isn't this game on the 3ds e-shop?? On the most successful console right now? I would buy it instantly..

MagicEmperor

MagicEmperor said:

Good for them! More will get it because of this. I already have two digital copies of the game (lol), so I think I'm good.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

Me too. Bought digitally, but collect physical copies. Will have to buy twice. Grrrrhh...

TheKachoMan

TheKachoMan said:

It would be nice of Capcom to include a rebate form for 5-10 bucks for user that have already downloaded it.
I have the original Duck Tales so am happy I used my funds to buy Earthbound.
I will buy Duck Tales at retail, but think how great it would be for Nintendo to do the same with EarthBound and print a mini version of the guide that fits in the WiiU case. I would not gripe and would pay again. Physical copies rule!

tanookisuit

tanookisuit said:

I don't think it was planned but the sales of it have been one raging profitable rush for Capcom and given the November period it gives them time to tool up production of discs, creating the box art, minimal interior paperwork and the rest.

I'm so happy I held out. I'm 100% buying this for WiiU when it drops in a couple months.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

At least this means that this remastered Disney video game classic is selling well, which means that Capcom would be willing to make another.

Also, I'm finding myself tempted to get this again, even though I initially didn't like the idea of paying $20 for a box. Capcom, you sly dogs.

Henmii

Henmii said:

Sounds good! Hopefully it will also come here in Europe, at the same price!

banacheck

banacheck said:

Why are some mad? you got the digital version like myself cheaper, also this disc version takes into account people that don't have the internet and its rare thay even do this. I'm glad others can play a classic game with or without the internet.

deusy

deusy said:

I might get this cheap if it comes to Australia, although it'll probably be $40 retail here. :)

TravisTouchdown

TravisTouchdown said:

So, a normally boxed retail game is getting a digital only release in North America, while a normally digital only game is getting a boxed retail release?

What the hell Capcom? Does this mean I get a box for Phoenix Wright after all?

A1234

A1234 said:

yeah Capcom, give me my money back and I will buy the physical version.

DJ_Siniestro

DJ_Siniestro said:

This is a must-buy for me. It will look great next to my regular NES version. Glad they decided to make a disc version!

Hamguar

Hamguar said:

Well from what I can fathom, they could have done this seeing that a fair amount of potential fans are old school hence are more inclined to want to truly own the game rather than just licence it. Or maybe there was a fair number of people writing to Capcom about the desire to buy a physical version of the game.

To those that are frustrated in hearing this after they bought a digital like it was stated before it is cheaper and at the time you did justify it was worth purchasing. Just as we have no obligation to buy anything they are just as much to make such a product at anytime they please. No one is owed anything, period. Does it suck? absolutely. Should you be upset? I would be. I guess I'm just trying to keep perspective before anyone says something silly and self-entitled. Then again, who is to say that because of all the digital purchases that it prompted them to go retail. In that case I greatly thank you all who did make the purchase to show them that it is worthwhile to do this and even help them to bring other classics back, or at least prompt them to give more work to Wayforward, which is an amazing company. Personally, I would love to see the second one and The Rescue Rangers remastered.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

This pisses me off, I wish they would have said it before hand otherwise I would have waited for a physical copy. Now there is no way for me to trade in my digital copy so I will have to double dip now. This is why I hate digital games. IMO they should give people a free copy of the physical one if they already bought the digital version since we didn't know about it and there was no word on it being released physical.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

Business decision I think they underestimate that eventually if they keep up these type of tricks revenue will go down. (Think they are right that not releasing Ace Attorney on cart will net them more money. Still think there is no need for a company of that size to do it though.)
They added advertising to paid versions of their Arcade games on iOS (Dunno whether it was in error or not but if that happened to me it would annoy me greatly).

Subie98

Subie98 said:

Now ill buy it, more than likely. I knew there'd be a physical copy eventually.