Doublade Revealed for Pokémon X & Y, an Evolution of Honedge

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Not the sharpest name, perhaps?

The Pokémon Company recently teased a new evolution announcement for Pokémon X & Y, and as promised it's used its Facebook page to make the big reveal.

What it's unveiled is an evolution of the new Steel / Ghost Type Honedge; as you can see above this one will, appropriately, be called Doublade. Its height is 2' 07", with a weight of 9.9 lbs, and it shares Honedge's ability of No Guard; below is what the official announcement said.

This Steel- and Ghost-type Pokémon is capable of carrying out intricate attacks by telepathically coordinating its two blades to deliver twice the slice in battle.

What do you think of this design and name? By all means sound off in the comments below.

[via en-gb.facebook.com]

JayceJa

JayceJa said:

honedge is cool, but this is really a piss weak magneton style move they have pulled with the evolution, and its just lame

Bulbousaur

Bulbousaur said:

Eh, bit disappointing, I was expecting a evolution of a pre-gen 6 Pokemon. Oh well, I'm sure they're saving loads of surprises for the release :)

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

@Ngamer It's a Pokemon. Looking like an animal is irrelevant. (E.g. Magnemite, Voltorb, Jynx, Jigglypuff etc.)

natsu

natsu said:

@JayceJa you are right it does look weak, its very disapointing I was looking foward to the starters final evolution or Yveltal's mega evolution.

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

So, did it find another Honedge to pair up with like Magneton, or did to duplicate by itself?

Also, I'm not dissing the design, I like swords, and I like 2 swords.

ShadJV

ShadJV said:

So... Now it's two swords? Don't get me wrong, I like Honedge, I just was hoping for something a little more intimidating... Well, l can still hope for another evolution, like a ghost knight that holds both swords?

WindWakerLink

WindWakerLink said:

"(face palm) No Poison or Dragon Eevee reveal...just two swords.... never over hyping myself for stuff like this again...oh well..."

Blue_Yoshi

Blue_Yoshi said:

I would be excited, but Ghost/Steel typing has now been weakened to due to the BS changes of having two of it's 11 type resistances taken away. There was no reason for that, yes Steel type is super effective against Fairy, but so is poison and poison didn'y get an improved super effectiveness of Bug type Pokemon like it should have been. Bottomline, if they were going to make some changes to the type chart, they needed to make more.

SphericalCrusher

SphericalCrusher said:

Very cool. I posted about this here a couple hours ago, but I guess this post takes ownership over mine. Nonetheless, I'm not the biggest fan of inanimate object Pokemon, but love this one.

Jaydenn

Jaydenn said:

May name mine 'Athena'...

Please say someone else has played Spartan: Total Warrior...

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

Awww, this appears like a wasted chance to me. They could've designed it like a different weapon - or a more baddonkey sword!
Just combining two Honedge's into one seems way less logical than the Magnemite family (those were related to magnetism, so it was fine).
I can only hope it has some good justification for this.

Ernest_The_Crab

Ernest_The_Crab said:

I guess the reasoning behind this is that the swords aren't actually the Pokemon itself. It's a poltergeist type ghost which means it just manipulates stuff around it.

If it does have a 3rd form it probably won't be a suit of armour. It'll probably be a huge mass of weapons (or maybe a 3rd blade lol...Triblade?).

Morpheel

Morpheel said:

It looks like the kind of decoration royal and rich people would have in their homes and castles.... Which makes it kinda awesome.

DdFixen

DdFixen said:

I must say it looks a bit boring. Think they could've gone more creative than that...

RupeeClock

RupeeClock said:

I fear they've tainted a good idea here, not all pokémon warrant an evolution and Honedge was probably one of them.

Skeet102

Skeet102 said:

uh oh... somebody pulled a magnemite. all joking aside I kind of like it I might even use it sometime.

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

Disappointing. I don't like it when the evolutions are just the original Pokemon x2 or 3.. (Magneton, this, Vanillux etc. etc.) Just seems lazy to me. I was hoping for more.

bigbankwill

bigbankwill said:

Honestly, a true Pokémon fan would not let a single evolution derail their liking of it... Adapt to it. And in time...we will get used to seeing it. Its probably going to gain an evolution none of us saw coming.

Nico85

Nico85 said:

Magnemite --> Magneton
Diglett---> Dugtrio,
Doduo --> Dodiro,
Vanillite ---> Vanillish---> Vanilluxe

These are only some of the pokemon that have an evolution similar to Honedge (adding one head or having 2 of them come together) and most of them are 1st gen, so i suggest those of you who are already thinking of not buying the game because of this specific pokemon's evolution to do a little bit of research and get off your high horses.... This game looks like it's going to be awesome and if you decide not to buy it because you dislike one pokemon the joke'll be on you...

Die2Distroy

Die2Distroy said:

I think Doublade is based on Swords that you can carry around on your back, if you've heard of/played God of War, look a Kratos and you'll know what I mean, there could still be a final evolution for it, a Ghost Knight/Warrior that carries the 2 Swords on his back.

Sam_Loser2

Sam_Loser2 said:

I like it. I'm disappointed it's another assimilation evolution (magneton, metagross), but I still like it. Probably will have a space on my team for it.

Squid

Squid said:

It's... okay. I like it just by itself. Although with two positioned like that it makes it look like it has arms. Kinda cool... but it's not their worst design.

Ernest_The_Crab

Ernest_The_Crab said:

@KnightRider666 It was. Bug was also super against poison in Gen I. In terms of type charts, Gen 1 had the most screwed up one.

The changes to Steel were due to balancing. Steel was too common of a type with too many resistances. No one here will admit it since it most likely affects their teams but frankly Steel needed the nerf.

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

"Hey guys look, it's a MAGNESWORD"

HURR HURR HURR

Seriously though, we should have seen it coming. Dual wielding is cool.

Luigifan141

Luigifan141 said:

@KnightRider666 It's really not all that bad. Dark and Ghost types fighting Steel types doesn't happen all that often in the first place (since most Dark and Ghost types tend to lack Fire, Ground, and Fighting moves), and Steel still gained a resistance in Fairy-type anyway. Plus, Steel is currently resistant to 10 different types (11 different types before X and Y), so Steel is already good enough as it is.

IanAlbarn

IanAlbarn said:

Who would want a Lvl. 100 unwielded sword pokemon? Well, there have always been some awful Pokemon

Kit

Kit said:

Luvit! A Steel Pokemon that is immune to Fighting type moves. How cool!

I like, I like it a lot!

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

i actually like it seems cool :) better then those food designs though but still meh

what i dont get is why they seem to be announcing stuff if they had said they wanted everyone to experience the games the same day with out one country spoiling stuff so isnt this spoiling? =S

Blue_Yoshi

Blue_Yoshi said:

@KnightRider666

Yeah exactly poison type should have stayed super effective against Bug Type Pokemon because without that it's only strong against one type and that's grass and now they added Fairy which will make it good but if they added Bug it would become a great balanced type. As for Steel I thought it would be annoying when I had a ghost or dark move and it was ineffective but ultimately I think it is kinda wrong to take away its resistances. People have wanted a Ghost/Steel specifically because the Dark and Ghost moves would have been nerfed due to the steel typing but unfortunately that's not the case so this Pokemon went from being good to mediocre as the newer generations seem to focus on more Dark and Ghost types.

drgfl

drgfl said:

X and Y looks great, but Pokemon-sword and Pokemon-two swords? Seriously?
Don't get me wrong, I like many designs from gen VI, but not this one.

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

Just another amazing original idea of the Pokémon franchise. One sword, evolving into two swords. Brilliant. 10/10. Never saw it coming.

WitchSugoi

WitchSugoi said:

I dig it. :-D

I happen to like most of the Pokemon that go from one to two (or three) my favorite being the Diglett line and looks like the Honedge line may be my second favorite.

Since it goes from a sword to a coat of arms, the third evolution (if there is one) may very well be a suit of armor. Unless there's some other medieval inanimate object that involves swords they could evolve it to.

Sneaker13

Sneaker13 said:

Pfff, stuff like this made me lose my interest in Pokémon. Hopefully these kind of "Pokémon" won't show up more often in this gen.

feelthesarcasm

feelthesarcasm said:

Da hell? Very strange but I don't care, nothing will detract this game for me. Getting a new XL for it!

WreckItRyan

WreckItRyan said:

Now, all we need is a ghostly figure to burst out of that sheath for the final evolution. A ghost knight that will dual wield both swords--he shall be named HEXCALIBUR!