Weirdness: Mike Tyson Plays Punch-Out!! And Takes on His Arch-Nemesis, Glass Joe

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Did he beat Glass f****** Joe?

A little while ago we brought you some retro news of huge importance that shook the foundations of the NES — Mike Tyson was rubbish at Mike Tyson's Punch Out!!. Here's what he told a charming paparazzi journo that was following him around.

"I couldn't even beat Glass f****** Joe. I couldn't beat Glass Joe, you know what I mean, I couldn't even play the game.

Naturally it made us wonder how these epic contests played out, and we now have the chance to see courtesy of FOX Sports. While the channel rather bizarrely states that "Mike Tyson plays Mike Tyson's Punch-Out for the 1st time", despite him saying the exact opposite not long ago, we can nevertheless assume that he's a tad rusty.

Initially "Iron Mike" hasn't figured out what he's playing, but just over 30 seconds-in he says "oh this guy's Joe right? Come on, come on". He becomes more focused, the lip curls and the familiar boxer's snarl briefly re-appears; he's battling an old foe that made him eat canvas back in the day. It's personal, right to the point where he starts smack-talking Joe — not a fight going to points.

And FOX Sports doesn't even show the result, so we don't know whether the former Heavyweight Champion got his revenge. But still, check it out below.

[via kotaku.com]

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

LOL! Mike probably never recovered after Little Mac got tired, i doubt he dodged any of Joe's punches that came his way afterwards. :p
They probably cut it short because he want on a Mike-Rage due to losing against his classic 8-bit foe and started tearing ears off.

BakaKnight

BakaKnight said:

He surely lost. I mean... was the controller even working after he got his hands on it? Ready to bet he smashed the buttons, literally >_>;

Araknie

Araknie said:

...to be continued.

Seeing Mike Tyson doing the Sylvester Stallone lips thing was like completing a circle.
Didn't care about anything else i was like: "Rocky, what happened to you? You became black." And all that sorts of crap.

Probably you can't even understand me, but it's me...i'm random all the time.

idork99

idork99 said:

Classic.

I wish I was as good at boxing as I am in Punch-Out!! But even that wouldn't guarantee that I can beat Mike Tyson :p

A1234

A1234 said:

excellent mouth noises. didn't Nintendo give him a free copy when the game was released?

Hordak

Hordak said:

@AlexSora89 "[joke mode on]
MIKE TYSON CONFIRMED FOR SMASH BROS"

You might actually be on to something! They more I think about it, this could be a PERFECT fit and a massive nostalgic inclusion for millions of people.

Morpheel

Morpheel said:

I'd bet more people would be happy to play as Little Mac or even Glass f***** Joe instead of Mike Tyson on the next Smash Brothers game.

CrabGats

CrabGats said:

This is why I was so confused when people were complaining about a lack of Mike Tyson in the latest Punch Out!!!

WaxxyOne

WaxxyOne said:

This video shows why you shouldn't be a boxer unless it's virtual. I think he's taken a few two many punches to the head.

ogo79

ogo79 said:

ive said it once and ill say it again:
dear mike tyson,
ill take you down in a heartbeat. i was physically able to do so before you ate holyfields ear and im still capable of beating you down. name the time and place. ill box anyone. ill box a mountain, ill box a cat, ill box a box.
bring it on fat boy

DudeSean

DudeSean said:

@ogo79 Oh, please be serious. I would love to see you fight the heavyweight champion of the world. Please, put a video of that up so we can see.