Senran Kagura Burst Confirmed For North American 3DS eShop

Posted by Andy Green

XSEED is localising another Japanese title

XSEED has confirmed it is bringing Senran Kagura Burst to the 3DS eShop later this year.

The sidescrolling action brawler has been available in Japan for a while and features five buxom high school ninjas, each with their own special ability, who train in a secret academy.

There are in fact two separate storylines in the game, which are told through a visual novel: Skirting Shadows introduces players to the "good shinobi" of Hanzō Academy, while Crimson Girls, tells the same tale from the perspective of the rival school.

One of the game mechanics that has made the game infamous is the way the ninjas lose clothing when they take damage, which is perhaps a little unnecessary. There's set to be plenty of combat to be had too, with retrieval missions, multi-character battles and large boss fights to be played along the way.

Meanwhile, the original Japanese voice-overs will remain but there will be English subtitles. Interestingly, the game has been rated T for Teen by the ESRB.

Senran Kagura Burst will be available in the eShop this Fall. Will you be downloading it? Let us know in the comment section below.

[via tinycartridge.com]

Retro_on_theGo

Retro_on_theGo said:

:O No Way!! NO WAY!!!!!
AW COME ON!!! If there's a market for this there's an effin market for Medabots 7!!!

RR529

RR529 said:

I browse NOJ's website pretty often, so I've known about this game's existence for some time, but I never thought it'd be something that would ever have a chance of making it west, lol.

Don't know if I'll get it or not. Depends on reviews, user opinions, price, and SD card space.

WoottWinds

WoottWinds said:

I know it's ridiculous, but dammit I am so excited for this. It does look like a really fun game, and I'm glad something this "quirky" got the opportunity for localization. As with everything published by XSEED, this will be a day-1 buy for me. WOOO!!!

ZeroxGT

ZeroxGT said:

if this is coming here now that means.. they loosened the belt a bit for niche games like this

Zemus-DJ

Zemus-DJ said:

Never thought my dreams of this being localized would come true, So pumped!! Can't wait to get my hands on this. Day 1 Download!!

distantwolfx44

distantwolfx44 said:

yayyyyyyy!!!! LOL anyways, after watching this anime I wanted a game really bad and finally my wish came true XD

distantwolfx44

distantwolfx44 said:

One does not simply show other people when they play this game =.= "the characters loose clothing when they get hit".

If I want to buy this, it seems I'll have to secretly go at Walmart or Gamestop, to get a 3DS eShop credit card.

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

Oooh, sounds good. While the gameplay comes first (and I'm a big fan of action brawlers), I'm always up for some fanservice as long as it doesn't go too far, which the T rating confirms.

DashDG

DashDG said:

Finally, now we can forget that awfully boring game called Code of Princess... This is an awsome "side-scrolling, beat em up" game series, I been playing both games on my japanese console... The Boxed versions are great, but I have no complaints... =)

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

Japanese voices and english subtitiles + not censored from the Japanese version = purchase.

Placlu

Placlu said:

Awesome, so we will see this in the european eShop....I see...
Well I own the game physically and I can assure you if they don't fix the frame rate.... It's honestly not that fantastic of a game.. It's barley even in 3D!

Squid

Squid said:

Well, if it has a reasonable price then perhaps. Honestly I would get it for the gameplay first. The uh fan service is a nice bonus, but if the gameplay sucks then there's no point. However, Im definitely looking forward to the review for this. :D

EaZy_T

EaZy_T said:

I'm in the 'if the price is right' camp.
I saw a review that said the gameplay is good for a brawler and that there are lots of unlockables.

Also, it looks jiggle-tastic!

Neferupitou

Neferupitou said:

Becarefull on the fanservice the game! where you can beat females up, until they get naked. what GREAT concept for a game but, might be odd to play outside...

koops330

koops330 said:

Is this a $40 release or an eshop game ($5-$10)?

I would like to support XSEED since they brought over Pandoras Tower and The Last Story but I currently dont have money to put towards a $40 game but if is cheap I would definitely consider it I guess I will have to wait and see.

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

Well this day have been nothing but surprises for me. Never thought this would get release oversea due to the theme. This have peak my interest :D

ramstrong

ramstrong said:

I've been looking for a good visual novel for some time, so when you review it, please make note of the story as well.

I'm glad this is Nintendo, the family entertainment company. Had this been on Xbox or PS4, who knows what kind of rating it'll get? ;)

Wowfunhappy

Wowfunhappy said:

Okay, I was actually still interested in this even after hearing about the whole taking-damage thing.

Then I watched the video Windy linked to (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UTAHsL6kcQ).

I'm sorry... look at the size of the breasts on those poor girls... the game just lost all credibility to me. Not only is it completely distracting and unnecessary, but quite frankly it also just makes all the characters look deformed and ugly. Sigh...

1upsuper

1upsuper said:

Really happy this is coming out here, especially after XSEED gave reasons why it would NOT be coming out here. The T rating is a bit worrisome; is XSEED doing some censorship, or is T really all it needs, when the two Corpse Party games that came here got M ratings, though I know the horror, gore, and violence certainly contributed to the ratings with those ones, having played them both myself?

scrubbyscum999

scrubbyscum999 said:

@Trainer_DJ
ok did someone edit my post? I didn't sau anything that wasn't already said. I was also careful not to use too explicit language. Or is this just me?

Ralizah

Ralizah said:

Hah, awesome. Totally supporting this. I suppose this is as close as America is ever going to get to a localized Ikki Tousen video game.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

@Ralizah
Actually, no. Ikki Tousen doesn't hold a candle against Senran Kagura.
Not only does SK have MUCH better fanservice, but also a really well-written story, something that is irritatingly absent in Ikki Tousen.

WinterWarm

WinterWarm said:

@Coldfirex44

Great truth you speak. :-| I have a feeling I'll be mysteriously horrible at this game.

Lol, I'm going to need a bigger SD Card. Or sacrifice some demos. :/