Runner 2 Good Friends Character Pack DLC Dashes Onto Wii U on 15th August

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Six new characters for $3

BIT.TRIP Presents: RUNNER 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien may have a mischievously long name, but it's a game that nevertheless delivers straight-up fun. We're big fans here in Nintendo Life HQ, and messing around with the character skins is one of the fun extras that helps give this title even more charm.

Earlier in the Summer Gaijin Games confirmed that more was coming in the form of The Good Friends Character Pack, which will feature six new characters from other download games with which to dash through the adventure. This content has already arrived on PC (with exclusive Portal character Atlas) and PS3, but Gaijin Games has taken to Twitter to confirm that the DLC will be available in the North American Wii U eShop this week (15th August).

It'll cost $3, though its absence from this week's European Nintendo Download update — and the title's later original arrival in the region — suggests that it may not hit all regions this week. We'll keep an eye out for updates, but in the meantime below are trailers for the characters that'll be included in the pack. Will you be picking it up?

Raz

Dr. Fetus

Josef

Spelunky Guy

Invisible CommanderVideo

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

So... Will the game finally be released on the Australian Wii U eShop then? It was rated in April so I don't understand how we still don't have the game...

Shambo

Shambo said:

Very nice! Now if those individual games got released on eshop as well, or better still: bundled and boxed on a Wii U disc! My Bit.trip Wii disc could use some best friends' company. I'll get the characters nonetheless though.

luminalace

luminalace said:

I would of have loved some new levels. While I recently finished Runner 2, I didn't even use the whole roster of current characters!

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

Charles Martinet as a Powerpuff Girls-esque narrator. My day has been made.

Seriously though, isn't Quote the same guy from Cave Story? [does some research] Yes, yes he is. My body is ready.

Judgedean

Judgedean said:

It's a joke if it's just new characters and not new levels but that is what it seems in the article. Passed the game completely but stuck with the default character since they all play the same.

Obito_Tennyson

Obito_Tennyson said:

For those who think that the new characters are not worth it, it actually is especially if you know where the characters came from. I haven't heard about Machinarium and Physchonauts before this DLC, and they don't look that interesting, but I like how Josef's character is like. They all look different and move differently as you play the level. When I played it on the PC, I felt like I was playing the level differently because of the different characters. It's more likely that you'd waste your money if you never played any of the games, but if you played Spelunker from the NES or Virtual Console or at least heard of it, then you have an excuse to use Spelunky. Don't waste your money if you don't want to and you already 100% the games in Ultra Hard Mode. However, if you still have more to do, then these characters will help you on the way.

Obito_Tennyson

Obito_Tennyson said:

@Tadness I know that. That's why I said "If you know Spelunker, then you have an excuse to use Spelunky." They are too similar to each other.

Henmii

Henmii said:

At 3 Dollar/Euro I might download it someday! I first have to buy a Wii u and download Runner 2 though!

DiSTANToblivion

DiSTANToblivion said:

What I really want to hear is the Australian release date. The wait has been ridiculous to say the least...

Tethers

Tethers said:

@Hyperstar96: This is sad, because of people like you developers can continue to ask a (relative high) price for something that is purely a visual thing...=(

Hyperstar96

Hyperstar96 said:

@Tethers You don't have to buy it if you don't want to, but don't tell me my decision to support an independent developer through a collaboration of some of my favorite indie properties is objectively bad when there are people supporting much worse things in the industry.

Don't tell me visuals aren't important, either. Are you having fun playing your HD consoles on a tube TV since 1080p is evil? I bet alternate colors in Smash Bros. are bad too, right?

Tethers

Tethers said:

@Hyperstar96: I didn't say it is bad, but sad, because if nobody would buy such things, the developers would have to put more effort in something that costs money...

@ "I bet alternate colors in Smash Bros. are bad too, right?"

Oh, I didn't know I have to pay for that alternate colors in SSB...

Hyperstar96

Hyperstar96 said:

@Tethers Effort doesn't always equal quality. This DLC is something that many people want, even if it didn't take much actual work to make.

I never said alt. colors cost us money. They do, however, cost the programmers and artists time and resources that could be used to make something that isn't "purely visual." According to your logic, they shouldn't exist at all.

Tethers

Tethers said:

@Hyperstar96: "Effort doesn't always equal quality.":

No, but it shows me that the developers put (significant) work into something and that he could have deserved it to be paid.

@ "They do, however, cost the programmers and artists time and resources that could be used to make something that isn't "purely visual." According to your logic, they shouldn't exist at all."

No, according to my logic, "purely visual" DLC (where you have to pay for) shouldn't exist at all...