Professor Layton Franchise Sales Hit 15 Million, Guild Downloads Reach 400,000

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Ni No Kuni performed well on DS

Today seems to be Level-5 day, courtesy of its Vision press conference in Japan. From a Nintendo gamer's perspective the big news is that the peculiar-looking Layton 7 is confirmed for the 3DS, while new RPG Wonder Flick is coming to the Wii U in Japan and, hopefully, West in the future.

Alongside new game reveals, Level-5 has detailed sales figures for some of its biggest franchises, revealing some interesting results. The Professor Layton franchise is the standout, particularly with the sales success of the DS titles, as it's reached 15 million sales worldwide. Ni no Kuni on the DS performed admirably despite only being released in Japan — according to Game Data Museum the DS title sold 569,443 copies in Japan, an impressive percentage of the 1.4 million worldwide sales which also incorporate the PS3 title that did come to the West.

The Guild series, meanwhile, has hit 400,000 downloads worldwide; we'd hope the majority of those include the six titles localised to the 3DS eShop outside of Japan, though Liberation Maiden was also released on the iOS platform. Not massive numbers perhaps, though we certainly hope that experiences such as Attack of the Friday Monsters! A Tokyo Tale aren't missed by too many.

And finally, the Inazuma series has been a major success with 6.5 million sales, though with limited localisations to Europe and the absence of the series in North America, we can safely assume that the majority of those copies have been sold in Japan.

Level-5 is, in some senses, in the middle of a transition, particularly with the Layton series set to go in a rather different direction. Whatever the case, we're hopeful that plenty of titles will be localised to the West in order to boost franchise sales further.

[via gematsu.com]

russellohh

russellohh said:

I've had Ni no Kuni DS since launch month. One of the best purchase decisions I ever made.

TheAdza

TheAdza said:

There is not enough done to get Level 5 games to the west. Level 5 and Platinum Games are my favourite Japanese video game companies. Inazuma series of games really need to be pushed to the US and Europe more. And where is Fantasy Life?

Cuddles

Cuddles said:

I'd love Ni No Kuni for WiiU. Or I should probably continue my game on the PS3.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

The Guild games needs a brake after the last batch. Seems to be falling off in quality. I didn't even buy one of the second batch and might not depending on what goes on sale. Not enough interest for them this go around.

Jukilum

Jukilum said:

Hopefully with Iwata as CEO NOA will pick up publishing duties for some of Level 5's games. I'd really like to play more of them.

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

I've contributed downloading Crimson Shroud, Liberation Maiden, The Starship Damrey and Attack of the Friday Monsters! And three Layton games. :)

Falk_Sturmfels

Falk_Sturmfels said:

400.000 Guild-Downloads is not a low number - its surprisingly high in my opinion. They wouldn´t announce them, if they wouldn´t be satisfied with it.

RawkHawk013

RawkHawk013 said:

Really glad that my poppi got me onto the Layton series! Love them excited to hopefully get Miracle Mask, Azran Legacy and the Pheonix Wright vs Layton game!