Pokémon X & Y "Mega Evolution" Details Fleshed Out, Distribution Event Confirmed

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Super Training, screens galore and a trailer, too

Yesterday brought some exciting news for those eagerly anticipating Pokémon X & Y, with CoroCoro magazine revealing "Mega Evolution" and three new 'mon, representing possibly the biggest new feature to be announced for the game to date — though it has had some competition.

The Pokémon Company International has now revealed more on these details with some Western names, along with confirmation of a distribution event accompanying the title's release on 12th October to make use of the Mega Evolution mechanic. These evolutions will require Mega Stones that are hidden throughout the Kalos region; yet one, Blazikenite, will only be available with a special launch distribution event taking place on the Nintendo Network. For a short time after launch you'll be able to pick up a Torchic holding a Blazikenite Mega Stone; you'll need to evolve this Torchic into Combusken and then Blaziken, before you can use the Mega Stone and Mega Evolve Blaziken into Mega Blaziken. Even before that evolution the distributed Torchic will have a Hidden Ability Speed Boost.

Below is the bulk of the press release that goes into details for the all-new Super Training, those three new 'mon with their Western names, and also Gym Leader Korrina — she plays a key role in the Mega Evolution aspect of the games. The newly released trailer and a host of fresh screens are also below.

Brand-New Method of Pokémon Training: Super Training!

Super Training or S.T. is being introduced in Pokémon X and Pokémon Y, allowing players to help their Pokémon grow stronger when they’re not in battle. On the Touch Screen of the Nintendo 3DS system, players can have their Pokémon participate in Super Training, activities that will increase a Pokémon’s base stats, the underlying values that define its HP, Attack, Defense, Sp. Atk, Sp. Def, and Speed stats.

One Super Training activity involves having Pokémon train by facing huge Pokémon-shaped Balloon Bots in a virtual space, with both sides trying to shoot balls into the opponent’s goal. Using the Circle Pad and Touch Screen to avoid shots from the Balloon Bots while landing their own in the goal, players will enjoy this action-packed feature while increasing their Pokémon’s base stats to help them become stronger for battle.

For a more casual way to help Pokémon strengthen their base stats, Core Training lets players set up training bags, earned by completing Super-Training Regimens, for Pokémon in their party to use. Pokémon will work on Core Training by themselves, raising their stats on their own. By tapping on the Touch Screen during a Core Training session, players can help their Pokémon increase their base stats, too. Players will be able to see how their Pokémon are doing at their Core Training at any time from the main Super Training screen.

More never-before-seen Pokémon that players will encounter in the Kalos region have been announced this morning by The Pokémon Company International. You can check them out at Pokemon.com/XY.

• By emitting radio waves from its antenna-shaped whiskers, new Electric- and Fairy-type Pokémon Dedenne can communicate with far-off allies. It can also plug its tail into outlets to drain electricity from them. Its Ability,Cheek Pouch, is new to Pokémon X and Pokémon Y. If a Pokémon with this Ability eats a Berry during battle, it will not only reap the benefit from the Berry, but the Pokémon will also be able to regain HP. Dedenne can learn the new Electric-type move Nuzzle, which looks cute as the user nuzzles up to a target with its cheeks fully charged, but it’s quite dangerous! Nuzzle will do damage while paralyzing the opponent.
  • Bunnelby is a new Normal-type Pokémon that creates its den by digging in the ground with its large, shovel-shaped ears. These powerful ears are strong enough to chop right through thick tree roots, making them a force to be reckoned with in battle. Bunnelby can learn the Ground-type move Dig. On the first turn, the user burrows underground, and on the second turn, it attacks! In Double Battles, a Pokémon can use Dig to avoid its ally’s attack and then dish out damage on the next turn.
  • It is now known that Skiddo evolves into the already announced Gogoat. A Grass-type Pokémon, Skiddo has a gentle nature and is said to be the first Pokémon to live alongside humans. Because of this relationship, Skiddo doesn’t mind carrying people or supplies on its back, and it has become able to read the feelings of its riders through their grip on its horns. Skiddo can learn the Grass-type move Leaf Blade, where the user wields a sharp leaf to slice like a sword.

Introducing Gym Leader Korrina

Korrina is the Gym Leader in Shalour City, a seaside town known for its amazing views. It’s also home to the Tower of Mastery, which seems to have a connection to Mega Evolution. Gym Leader Korrina seeks to draw out her Pokémon’s strength to reach still greater heights, and it’s said that she may hold the key to Mega Evolution! In addition to being a Gym Leader, Korrina is a fantastic roller skater.

Anclation

Anclation said:

This is just getting more and more exciting, I'm glad I already have it preordered!

shingi_70

shingi_70 said:

Torchic being released day one makes me tempted to add it too my team and break my team only consisting of new pokemans rule.

Gioku

Gioku said:

AHH!!! Now I MUST get this on day one! I have to have this game! :O

SheldonRandoms

SheldonRandoms said:

Those mega Pokemon are really..........MEGA!!! Mega Blaziken and Mega Lucario look awesome, glad I got Y on preorder.

SpinelessOyster

SpinelessOyster said:

Oh. My. God! I cannot wait for this game anymore! I think I kind of like too that the Mega Evolutions aren't permanent. I wonder though if there's a limit to how many times you can do it?

Blue_Yoshi

Blue_Yoshi said:

How about Ampharos and its Electric/Dragon Mega Evolution? Or Mawile and its newly christened Fairy type?

Gioku

Gioku said:

A few of these new designs **cough**Dedenne**cough** remind me strongly of Generation II. And that's a good thing! :)

AVahne

AVahne said:

Dedenne is this generation's Pikachu...but it looks a lot like a mini-Raichu!

Neferupitou

Neferupitou said:

Nintendo should definitely have game freak make another pokemon stadium or pokemon snap for the Wii U. That would definitely raise sales for the Wii U.

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

Is there some kind of running gag that every generation needs their own electric rodent? It's cute and all, but other elemental rodent pokemon woyld be nice.

Grayjedi13

Grayjedi13 said:

@feline2 Well I think "Mega" was one of the digivolution levels and some digimon may have had Mega in their name. And I mean, they'll always be compared occasionally since they are kinda the same in many ways.

As a kid I always liked both. The show was way cooler then Pokemon, but the Pokemon games were (And still are) fantastic. Can't wait for X/Y, just hope I can beat SMT IV before Oct!

Sandstorm64

Sandstorm64 said:

I'm so glad there's so much positivity here towards the Mega Pokemon since I have seen negative comments towards them. I'm so pumped for these games and I'm glad a lot of people are!

Polaris

Polaris said:

@Ulala I agree. I already don't like the redesigns. Also, that pikachu-wannabe looks like an unoriginal failed version of pikachu.

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

Untitled

I hope they make the logical decision and have Mega Forms activate as soon as Pokemon enter battle, as to actually make it useful and not a massive gimmick not worth the hold item space nor have it actually help low tier Pokemon that needed it.

Also, as great as it is that Super Training makes EV training easier and more transparent, that real issue people had a problem with was IVs, which are luck based with the odds heavily against you. I would go so far as to say IVs were the number 1 reason for hacking.

That is unless all the hopes and prayers of competitive players have been answered and IVs have been removed or are easily manipulated (through Vitamins or something).

JEL417

JEL417 said:

Pokemon X and Y just keep getting better can't wait til October 12th.

LordJumpMad

LordJumpMad said:

As if those pokemon weren't already over powered.

Well, at less this better happen...MegaMagikarp!
Untitled
Use MegaSplash

Tindre

Tindre said:

The only thing I'm thinking about now is how stupid it would look if someone pulled their hair out through their bicycle helmets XD (Like Korinne)

JuanitoShet

JuanitoShet said:

These games just look so much more amazing with every bit of news that is released. I have my 80 dollars reserved, I want BOTH! :B

NoUsernameHere

NoUsernameHere said:

Only New Pokemon I don't like is Bunnelby. Bunnelby makes Vanillite and Swirlix look creative... Shudders

I'll be most likely picking this up at launch,Depending on how much time I have to pick it up.

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

I was gonna get Etrian Odyssey: UMG for the pre-order bonus but because of the distribution I'll be going with Pokemon.

Arcamenel

Arcamenel said:

While I love everything about this, it bothers me that they insist on saying it's an evolution when it really is just a temporary form change. Even if it comes with a power boost, it's not a real evolution.

BlueNitrous

BlueNitrous said:

I swear, the release of X/Y will be an international holiday. Im talking no school or work for a week!

Skeet102

Skeet102 said:

4 things. 1.I love this. 2.I hope to see all gen 3 starters get a mega evolution. 3.Why did ampharos turn into a dragon altaria style. 4.Mega Tropius!!!!

The_Ninja

The_Ninja said:

This will be the best pokemon game ever. IMO, better then the first games. WOOT! If miiverse is out for 3DS and this game is released I'm gonna have a good time.

belmont

belmont said:

I am not that hyped for it as I was for Black 2. The visuals have improved but still look sort of bad considering the capabilities of 3DS, I really hate this pixelation. The new pokemon look awfully familiar with old ones. Also you should be able to train the base stats of pokemon in battle, not with a mini game.

Another topic I want to discuss is that in previous games uploading pokemon you already collected in previous generations was bad, stupid and time consuming. It should just let you upload them once you beat the game. I hope they change it in the new games. In fact this may be a selling point for me.

Dandalfa00

Dandalfa00 said:

My only gripe is that no other starters have Mega-Evolutions (so far) and that now everyone will have they'll want to train from the beginning but Fennekin is the coolest looking starter so far. But Talonflame looks baddonkey. So. Much. Fire. Also, there better be a limit of some sort to how much Super Training can happen. It seems like some people with a lot of time will get some insane Pokemon.

Melkaticox

Melkaticox said:

@belmont Uhh, pixelation is incredibly common in 3DS game trailers...the game is supposed to look cell-shaded, it's SUPPOSED to look simple.
Super training is not for BS training, is for EV training.

Doma

Doma said:

I bet mega stones will available to buy as DLC later. GF finally have the opportunity, they were biding their time.

SphericalCrusher

SphericalCrusher said:

Very interested in how all of this affects the meta game. I'm thinking that Super Training is the new EV Training. Very very excited for these to come out, as they are going to own me.

Mr_3DS

Mr_3DS said:

Man...too many fire pokemon that I want! (Torchic, Fennekin, and the fire-bird.)

Microwaveable1

Microwaveable1 said:

So is the Torchic gonna be downloadable through the game, or through GameStop etc.?

EDIT: Nevermind, i actually read the description. Silly me :P

DePapier

DePapier said:

I think a Mega starter from Gen 3 is a good clue for Saphir and Rubis to be the next Pokémon games on the 3DS.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

It gets me how Mega Mewtwo is Mewtwo with his tail on his head with a ring growth and swapped colors. Very interesting details here. Dedenne is growing on me too.

Konata

Konata said:

I wasnt even planning on getting this game after I skipped on pokemon black/white 2.
But it looks pretty interesting now. I might just get it :D.

Doge

Doge said:

Is that... Pikachu?

Dude Mega pokemon actually doesn't seem like a gimmick somehow, although something's telling i should think it is.Welp, im sold

Lavita

Lavita said:

Can't wait! :D

I kinda wish Super Training was for IVs instead of EVs though, so we could get perfect Pokémon without having to hack the RNG. (I am against RNG manipulation)

I really like the new Mega addition and I can't wait to try out MegaBlaziken (as if Speed Boost Torchic isn't overpowered enough as it is.)

dch75

dch75 said:

Mega level huh? Me thinks somebody at Nintendo has been watching Digimon.

B3ND3R

B3ND3R said:

Hooray! I know what I want to pre-order for my Birthday alongside Wind Waker HD! Wonderful 101 will tide me over until then once it is released. And Pikmin 3 will be in my system until then too. Man I love Nintendo.

DualWielding

DualWielding said:

what does it mean for the even to be Nintendo Network? that means you can't get the Torchic unless you have a Wii U? or it'll be something like a limited time dlc to encourage early adoption?

Expa0

Expa0 said:

Looks like someone seriously got digimon mixed into my pokemon this time.

Mega pokemon.. What an completely and utterly stupid idea.

kyle5

kyle5 said:

the same as number of people, i think Dedenne could be a pre evolution of Raichu. cant wait already preordered x and i suspect the mega pokemon thing will work in its own way

AyeHaley

AyeHaley said:

MEGA KANGASKAN can attack twice!! Its baby comes out of its pouch!! <3 my mind is blownnnnnn

DanteSolablood

DanteSolablood said:

@DarkKirby I disagree, IV's could be bred across from pokémon & depending on how perfect you wanted your pokémon to be, you could get a couple of perfect IV's inside of 45 minutes to an hour. Difficulty has always been the excuse of the lazy or those not willing to lose a couple of times before they start hacking.

I've been playing pokémon since the start & have a full pokédex without ever cheating or trading a hacked pokémon. I simply don;t respect anyone that has hacked & refuse to accept their pokédex as complete.

NightmareXIV

NightmareXIV said:

Finally a way to get an excuse for the EX style evolutions that they used to have in the card game also the Mega Evolution process looks awesome.

Ryankf

Ryankf said:

Awesome this one lasts till january and i usually get my games around christmas because of all the christmas money so i'll still have a chance to get Mega Blaziken

themac2001

themac2001 said:

@MrMario02 i disagree. mine goes (best to least) mega lucario, mega kahngaskhan ( how u spell it???) and mega mawile ( still like her/him)