Nintendo Download: 8th August (North America)

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

DuckTales returns, Bumpie has a party, Mario & Luigi are dreamy and more

It's that time again, North America, with some juicy Wii U and 3DS options coming your way in this week's Nintendo Download update. There's some nice variety, too, with a platforming remake, quirky mini-game collection and a bonkers RPG among the options. Let's get to the details.

Wii U eShop

Spin the Bottle: Bumpie's Party (KnapNok Games, $8.99) — This has stood out as one of the quirkiest Wii U exclusives since it was announced, as it's a TV-free game that focuses players around the GamePad screen and has them carry out a number of humorous, physical challenges with Wii Remotes. Perhaps also set apart by its peculiar branding, we'll gather some friends, spin the bottle and let you know whether this is as entertaining as it is intriguing.

DuckTales Remastered (Capcom, $14.99) — Arriving on 13th August, the classic NES title get the HD remake treatment from WayForward, and those words alone may be enough to have some setting aside some eShop funds. Impressions so far have undoubtedly been positive, with some gorgeous visuals accompanying classic gameplay, but we'll see how the whole experience stacks up in our upcoming review.

Wii U Virtual Console

Romance of the Three Kingdoms IV (KOEI, $7.99) — Quite possibly one of the most in-depth games on the Super NES, a simulation strategy title that incorporates real history of ancient China with a befuddling level of complexity. In that respect it may be heaven to some, but inaccessible to plenty of others. While we wrap our heads around it once again you can check out our Wii Virtual Console Romance of the Three Kingdoms review.

3DS eShop

SteamWorld Dig (Image & Form, $8.99) — The second entry in this series, following DSiWare release SteamWorld: Tower Defense, this is a "platform mining adventure" that promises plenty of content and challenge as you dig for treasure with Rusty the 'cowbot'. The steampunk style is certainly attractive, and some encouraging noise has been made about a good level of challenge to keep 3DS gamers happy; we'll put on a cool hat and work on a review, and in the meantime you can learn more from our interview with Image & Form.

Tangram Style (Moving Player, $6.99) — With a name like Tangram Style, this may be trying to tap into a certain YouTube music phenomenon — you know the one — but it's unrelated. With four modes and more than 600 tangram puzzles said to be included, as well as a probably-superfluous story, this may be good value for fans of the genre. We'll get busy and puzzle out a review soon.

Smash Bowling 3D (Big John Games, $4.99) — The eShop recently had some bowling / zombie-killing action, but this title goes for a more realistic approach. There are trophies to earn, a practice mode and four-player multiplayer options — by passing the 3DS — as you can perfect your angles to get a strike. We'll dig out our custom-made bowling ball and gloves and hit the alleys to give you our view.

3DS Retail Download

Mario & Luigi: Dream Team (Nintendo, $39.99) — This is the fourth entry in the handheld-only RPG series developed by AlphaDream, and continues the legacy of humorous, creative gameplay with a campaign that will take weeks and months to see through. There's excellent use of the dual screen setup, as well as 3DS-specific motion controls for special moves and some gorgeous stereoscopic 3D pixel-based graphics. A lengthy undertaking but always capable of providing some surprises, we gave this an enthusiastic recommendation in our Mario & Luigi: Dream Team review. This is available from 11th August.

3DS eShop Temporary Discount

escapeVektor (Nnooo, $4.99 until 22nd August, normally $9.99)

So there you have it, some rather exciting offerings to pick from this week. As some releases are coming later this week, we've tweaked the usual poll, so let us know what you'll be downloading there and in the comments below.

Which download are you most excited about this week? (360 votes)

Spin the Bottle: Bumpie's Party (Wii U eShop)

DuckTales Remastered (Wii U eShop)

42%

Romance of the Three Kingdoms IV (Wii U Virtual Console)

SteamWorld Dig (3DS eShop)

Tangram Style (3DS eShop)

Smash Bowling 3D (3DS eShop)

Mario & Luigi: Dream Team (3DS retail download)

17%

escapeVektor (3DS eShop temporary discount)

None, I won't download anything this week

25%

Please login to vote in this poll.

therick112

therick112 said:

Meh, not the best week. At least Dream Team will be available for Sunday. Was leaning to the digital copy, does anyone know the block size?

therick112

therick112 said:

I'm speaking strictly from a 3DS perspective, no Wii U yet, but when that happy day comes, DuckTales is a no brainer.

Dark-Luigi

Dark-Luigi said:

Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
DDDDRRREAAAMMM TEEEEAAAAAMMM!!! :D :D

Whopper744

Whopper744 said:

Yeah! DuckTales! I just watched an episode this morning again. haha. Never grow up.

Blue_Yoshi

Blue_Yoshi said:

I wanna get Duck Tales but at a $15 price tag should download it now or wait for a discount? I literally have soooo many other games to play that I feel like its foolish for me to download more.

Nanamine

Nanamine said:

Getting

Spin the Bottle: Bumpie's Party
DuckTales: Remastered
escapeVektor
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team

FiveDigitLP

FiveDigitLP said:

Hey, why no love for Spin the Bottle, voters? I think it looks like a barrel of monkeys!

@ThomasBW84
I'm surprised you guys didn't include the Animal Crossing Plaza on here since that was just released.

Ralizah

Ralizah said:

If I owned a Wii U, I'd get Ducktails, but I don't, so nothing at all for me this week.

Tra_Venous

Tra_Venous said:

I'll probably get that Spin the Bottle game once I have a group of people over
Ducktales Remastered Day One
Romance of the Three Kingdoms IV Day One
Steamworld Dig maybe this weekend
Mario & Luigi sometime this month

Sir_Teabag

Sir_Teabag said:

some interesting 3ds titles...i voted for tangram but im also interested in steamworld and the bowling game

tchaten

tchaten said:

Isn't Art Academy coming out on August 9th? Why is it absent from this list?

(Getting Dream Team digitally using discount codes from the Wii U Digital Promo!)

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

RE Art Academy SketchPad, it wasn't on the list, so I'll ask and double check that's definite as mentioned in the Nintendo Direct.

As for Animal Crossing Plaza, that was released yesterday and we posted about it already, it's not really in this week's update, is it :)

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I'll definitely get Ducktales: Remastered, and I have a pre-order for a retail copy of Mario & Luigi: Dream Team. And Art Academy: Sketchpad should be on this list.

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

Good week. I can see myself getting at least one of those games later on down the road.

I'm quite interested to see how Spin the Bottle do. I wonder if it will be just as fun with 2 people.

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@DestinyMan If it's not listed in the download update email, I won't put it there, simply because we've been burned before assuming a release is going ahead as announced. I've emailed Nintendo and, if they confirm, I'll add it :)

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

I'll get DuckTales Remastered on my Wii U unless the Steam version is cheaper.

siavm

siavm said:

When is flipnote coming? It was early August now it is tbd. Can you all get in contact with nintendo to see if it is still coming this month? I know they said something about the servers not being able to satisfy the world but they dated it and with all the 3ds's out there they should have been ready for this.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I was not sure if Ducktales would arrive on Aug. 13th like the other versions, or Aug. 15th, as that is a Thursday, the usual update day for eShop. Torn between getting it on the 13th as soon as it arrives, or on the 15th as I have the day off work for being a holiday here.

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

Getting sketchpad if it comes out, otherwise too much backlog for Mario and Luigi ATM.

rjejr

rjejr said:

A game like "Spin the Bottle" makes me wish they would have put a Wi-Fi chip in the Gamepad. Are the graphics and processing so great for that game that it couldn't work over my homes* Wi-Fi connection? I'ld probably trade in my tablet for a Wii U if I could sit around the house and browse the internet on the Gamepad. My Wii U will be in the basement and my router is on the 2nd floor. The Wi-Fi reaches the whole house but I doubt the Gamepad will.

*I say home wi-fi as I'm assuming there's a simple way for devices to connect to the same router easier than via different routers or hot spots, but I could be wrong. I know most cable tv apps only work on my home router and no other.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

Duck Tales is my #1 priority on this list, but the price is kinda on the high side. Should get it either way, especially with the unused funds sitting in my account (thanks to last week's extra $5 promotion).

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

No Wii U either otherwise I would download it. I'm getting a retail copy of Mario & Luigi Dream Team. So nothing for me this week. Plus I got my hands full with Animal Crossing New Leaf

Wanderhope

Wanderhope said:

Waiting on DuckTales and iffy on Dream Team after reading Jeremy Parish's review of the game. Too many games this fall, have to be picky.

Honestly, I'm most likely to get Spin the Bottle because it looks like good old fashioned family fun madness.

bahooney

bahooney said:

@rjejr I live in a small apartment, and my Wii U is in my living room. If I want to do some late-night gaming in my bedroom WITH THE DOOR OPEN MIND YOU, it starts losing the signal at about 30 ft away. It sucks so bad.

Reala

Reala said:

Duck Tales is definitely on my to buy list, of steam games that is

StephenYap3

StephenYap3 said:

Dream Team and Duck Tales both have me in a tug-o-war.

I hope Dream Team is good, though. After playing the super amazing Superstar Saga, I was disappointed with its two sequels.

Edit: I also enjoyed Paper Mario: Sticker Star, but I've a feeling I'll enjoy Dream Team a bit more.

WhiteTrashGuy

WhiteTrashGuy said:

$10 would be a good price for DuckTales, regardless I loved the original and will get this just not until October.

Captain_Gonru

Captain_Gonru said:

I went with Ducktales (I've been driving my wife crazy with the theme song). But, from a game perspective, I'm more excited for Dream Team. However, that will be retail for me.

tchaten

tchaten said:

@bahooney It is close range for a reason - for no lag experience it must not have any interference - the GamePad's no lag was praised because it was said it couldn't be done.

I live in a studio and have no issues with range.

tchaten

tchaten said:

@rjejr Home Wi-Fi is not reliable enough to do what the GamePad is doing. It would be a mess if they tried to do it that way. A side benefit is that it works when your Wi-Fi is down or you are traveling - after initial setup it is rock solid

Ren

Ren said:

this ducktales game is more exciting to me than almost any other wii U game to date, but alas I won't buy one yet just for that and it's still a little pricy. Hope it comes to 3DS it doesn't really need HD, not even the original show was in HD.

sc100

sc100 said:

I'd like to get Mario & Luigi: Dream Team and Duck Tales but I really don't have that much money right now. So I decided to pick up escapeVektor for 50% off. I didn't realize how good that game was until I just read the review right now. I love these eShop sales. They definitely come in handy sometimes.

Holly

Holly said:

@Blue_Yoshi You're not the only one. I could probably list five games right now that I own but haven't gotten around to playing. Hmmm, make that ten. :)

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

To anyone wondering about the Art Academy app on Wii U, I just had the following response from Nintendo when I asked about whether it was coming tomorrow as expected:

"Unfortunately, we don't have anything to share about this right now. But stay tuned!"

Doesn't mean it isn't coming on 9th August, but we'll see :)

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

Why don´t you put the notice about Commodore 64 is gone of the Wii VC service?

Thats-what-she

Thats-what-she said:

Here's what would have been great: Releasing the original NES Duck Tales for the 3DS eShop to coincide with the remastered Wii version... but that didn't happen.

RR529

RR529 said:

Don't have any money right now, but I'll look to see if Smash Bowling 3D, Tangram Style, and SteamWorld: Dig are interesting enough to earn a spot on my wishlist.

MegaManEP3

MegaManEP3 said:

@Fast_45er I want X2 but I'd love X3 and Mega Man 7. I've been waiting for those since the original Wii.

With that said, I'm definitly getting Duck Tales!

element187

element187 said:

I want to buy Ducktales and Bumpy's but I don't think I have any time to play them. I'm still marathoning Mission Mode in Pikmin 3 everyday.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

I want more GB and GBC games. Getting bored of NES games that I already own on Wii being released for 3DS,

LDXD

LDXD said:

Getting dream team retail duck tales and shovel knight are my most anticipated download only games
especially shovel knight, hopefully it comes out soon

rjejr

rjejr said:

@tchaten - Do you really think "Spin the Bottle" would be a mess on WiFi? Dont people from all over the country play FPS 16 people at a time over WiFi? How much bandwidth would a game like that need? WiFi would also come in handy for Netflix and web-browsing or browsing the eShop from my bed. I dont need a special connection for any of that stuff. It could auto-switch w/ a warning when you get out of range.

SuperMalleo

SuperMalleo said:

NoA pretends that Blaster Master and River City Ransom never existed here. How much bigger slackers could they possibly be?

Austroid

Austroid said:

I'm holding out for Summer Carnival '92.

I'll prove my uber-nerdiness upon beating it! :P

tchaten

tchaten said:

@rjejr there is a huge difference in connecting to other players over Wi-Fi and having no latency TV in your hand setup while also sending commands to your Wii U. I'm glad they made it work only amazingly well or not at all.

Just my 2 cents

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

@MegaManEP3 Yeah, I want X3 the most, but I know it's not gonna get released before or the same day as X2 hence why I didn't mention it.
@Rockman_Onion Finally someone else who feels like I do about Blaster Master! I've been waiting forever while Europe has had it on 3DS for months. In every Club Nintendo VC survey I take, I always ask them to add SMB3, Wario Land 3, and Blaster Master. They just announced SMB3, and WL3, so maybe I'm getting results!

Blizzaga

Blizzaga said:

@Dogpigfish It's not like it's the same price as the original price of the original game. And it's not like this is an HD remake or anything...

Complaining about a 15 dollar price tag? Psssh.

Evruck

Evruck said:

so why is ducktales on the list when its not coming out until the 13th?

Marioman64

Marioman64 said:

@Evruck because they update the list every thursday, if they made a seperate download post for every single thing it would get kind of messy

CatMarioUltra

CatMarioUltra said:

Well I'll definitely have to pick up Dream Team... once I have the money! Though it certainly isn't a bad thing, Nintendo has been releasing so many good games this year, I don't have the money to buy it all! :'(

rjejr

rjejr said:

@tchaten - "no latency TV"

The reason I mentioned WiFi w/ "Spin the Bottle" is b/c Spin the Bottle isn't on tv, it's only on the Gamepad. I can see how WiFi would be a mess playing Pikmin 3 on the TV, but if the WiiU knows it isn't outputting a signal to the tv - this, Netflix, web-browsing, eShop, VC - then I would think in-home WiFi (same router) would be sufficient. I don't know if it would, but I would really like that option for my complete in home enjoyment.

LordGeovanni

LordGeovanni said:

@rjejr
There is still the problem that the Wii U GamePad is not a console - it still needs to be close to the Wii U for the Wii U to render the game, no?