New Trademarks Hint at Pokémon Tretta Localisation

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Pokéfigure Arena could be a thing, too

Some of you may recall our reports on the 3DS download Pokémon Tretta Lab, an app in Japan that mimics Tretta arcades. These are Pokémon battling games that require collectible plastic discs, which are detected by a reader and turned into a 'mon on screen. In the case of the arcades winning a battle awards more discs, and we imagine the little plastic pieces provide plenty of revenue in a "collect'em all" industry.

It looks like The Pokémon Company may consider bringing this franchise to the West, as fresh U.S. trademarks have been submitted for Pokétretta Battles and Pokétretta Tournament, which speak for themselves. Even if the arcades don't come to the West, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that the discs and bulky 3DS add-on (pictured) could journey outside of Japan.

Two other trademarks have also been dug up by SiliconeraPokéfigure Arena and Pokéfigure. Perhaps these will be related to a game with more NFC toys, or like any trademarks could be placeholders in case prospective ideas come to fruition. These discoveries follow hot on the heals of Pokkén Fighters and Pokkén Tournament, which we'd love to be linked to a possible Wii U Pokémon fighting game though, of course, that's merely speculation.

If these trademarks do eventually lead to some extra games, would you be interested in the Tretta Lab concept coming to the West, or more NFC shenanigans? Let us know in the comments below.

[via siliconera.com]

Windy

Windy said:

I think they should bring it. Look how popular skylanders is and probably Disney infinity will be. Pokemon should blow those out of the water! Would be a great move in my unprofessional oppinion :)

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

More Pokemon stuff the better. It sells, which means profit. Hopefully at least one of these trademarks is for Wii U, to help its sales as well. 3DS obviously in great shape and has X & Y coming to really blow sales up.

Samurai_Goroh

Samurai_Goroh said:

So if they localise it, they'll have to bundle it in two different packages with two different add-ons: One for 3DS and another for 3DS XL. Seems kinda prone to confuse consumers, like the Circle Pad Pro. They can't just ignore all those original 3DS models that are still being sold, can't they?

Gioku

Gioku said:

I'm okay with any new "Poké" stuff! These trademarks all sound interesting.

Birthday_Boy

Birthday_Boy said:

I would guess those Pokemon NFC figures would be used for the Pokemon fighting game. Considering GameFreak said they would use the figures for future games, and 649 figures seem too much for one downloadable title.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

Be sure to carry your Pokewalker and the Bluetooth keyboard along with it to get the best results. ;)

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

Pokemon Tretta always sounded interesting to me, so sounds like good news to me. Just so long as it doesn't end up Gamestop-exclusive like the cirlcle pad that is.

RudysaurusRex

RudysaurusRex said:

How about you leave this in Japan, and bring us games like Soma Bringer, which would sell a billion times better.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

@RudyDog You're being sarcastic right? I have no idea what that is, and I pay attention to Japan games to a point. And there is nothing that sells a billion times better than Pokemon. Not even COD.

ToastyYogurt

ToastyYogurt said:

Oh man, I really want the arcade machines to come over to NA. I would blow up so much money on those....

MrMario02

MrMario02 said:

Guys, Remember the trailer with Pokken Fighters? That showed tretta for Xerneas and Yveltal.

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

Pokemon sells. I'd figure they'd be working on a stadium that works with X/Y for the Wii U though, since that'd be a system seller, but this is welcome too :D

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

Certainly makes sense to make more games that utilize the NFC figures. I'm not buying figures for 1 game and never need to use them again afterwards. I want to be assured that the toys I buy will be put to good use in games again and again.

tripunktoj

tripunktoj said:

Not at all interested, collecting and playing retro and current Nintendo games and hardware is already expensive enough for me, there's just no way I could also afford games with collectibles like this discs, rumble U figures or KIU cards.

RudysaurusRex

RudysaurusRex said:

@XCWarrior I wish I was being sarcastic. I was exaggerating, but who wants to buy a peripheral 2 times the size of the actual system? Who wants to pay that much? For a game, that has almost no use in NoA or NoE.

Windy

Windy said:

@tripunktoj Totally understandable. These Gadgets really are just Fad gadgets and usually don't get down to the core gaming experience. Hope you can get the Good games you like to play :)

3Daniel

3Daniel said:

Would make more sense as a wii u version. Nfc and all. No silly bolt ons.