Capcom Has No Plans For Street Fighter on Wii U Just Yet

Posted by Andy Green

Nintendo fans remain hopeful for Street Fighter V

Street Fighter has been released on many different Nintendo systems over the years but it seems Wii U owners may have to wait a while to get a brand new game released on the console.

Speaking on Twitter, the series' executive producer Yoshinori Ono has confirmed there are currently no plans to bring the franchise to Wii U but didn't rule out any future possibilities.

Super Street Fighter IV 3D was the latest iteration of the fighter to make it to a Nintendo system and there has been no talk of the game being ported to Wii U. Of course, you could always dip into the Wii Virtual Console if you fancy some classic beat 'em up action, with the likes of Street Fighter II' Turbo: Hyper Fighting being available for download.

Street Fighter V may be a long way off yet as the fourth edition took ten years to succeed the third. However, back in 2011, former Capcom community manager Seth Killian told Eurogamer there wouldn't be a decade-long wait for the fifth adaptation of the series. Hopefully when it does get announced, Wii U will be supported.

What are your thoughts on Street Fighter? Would you like to see it come to Wii U? Let us know in the comment section below.

[via twitter.com, nintendoeverything.com]

Angelic_Lapras_King

Angelic_Lapras_King said:

All 3 SNES SFII games have been rated for the Euro Wii U VC at least. Apparently, SFV won't arrive till at least 2018 I read somewhere, so we're more likely;y to see it on the Wii U's successor... XD

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

At this point, I think the reality is that if you want most 3rd party home games, you'll need a second system. I've got a Wii and PS3 for the previous gen, and for the new generation, I'm going with Wii U and PC.

Samurai_Goroh

Samurai_Goroh said:

Kinda expected, sadly. Maybe in a year, as Wii U sales hopefully improve, 3rd parties will change their priorities. As of now, Capcom expects us to bend on our knees to show "demand" for it.
The only SF game I had played prior to this week was Street Fighter III on Dreamcast. I was just a kid and sucked at it, frankly. But two days ago I decided to buy Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers on Wii and it's been quite an experience. I'm still trying to figure out my Hadoukens and Shoryukens, but so far so good.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

Best thing to play Streetfighter games is something as close as possible to the Arcade hardware they are using. (Currently Tatio Type X which is basically a fairly powerful intel PC with and SSD if you want).

Saturn Alpha 3 is supposed to be the best version. (Better than the Dreamcast version of it I have as it is closer to the original hardware in terms of specs).

I don't think the classic ones play very well on an LCD. (I have played on the 360 the straight port of turbo hyper fighting and the remix version.)

If the Arcade board is still a PC for the new version then I will just get it for the PC.

(If they start caring about the console version more than the Arcade version then I will stop buying it because the quality will go down the toilet.)

Pachterkid

Pachterkid said:

It would be nice if it came out on the Wii U, but if the game is in fact years away one has to wonder what state the Wii U will be in by then compared to the PS4 and Xbox One. I assume that the Wii U will be a distant third place console, meaning that it wouldn't make much sense for Capcom to waste time and resources making a Wii U version.

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

I`d get it...I mean seriously, how hard would it be to just port it over to the Wii U. they did it with RE: Revelations...

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@Samurai_Goroh Best home version of Super Street Fighter 2 is Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo on the 3DO. (I cannot see that ever been added the virtual console).

Saturn versions of Streetfighter are generally superior to the Dreamcast ones.
(Think there are some later CPS3 ones that don't exist on the Saturn).

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@WaveBoy Could vary from completely trivial to very difficult depending if it relies on low level x86 coding or not and whether they are intending to support the 360 at all.

(360 using all cores can port pretty easily to Wii U. 360 using one core and PS3 using one core means you have to actually do some work if you want it to work decent on the Wii U).

If they are only going to support PS4/Xbone then I can see why they wouldn't want to make an inferior port. (I know that wouldn't be their reasoning but I wouldn't want to play an inferior version anyway).

Legromancer

Legromancer said:

@DePapier
it would be nice, but nothing now indicates this. Wii U will be ( and already is) third place. It's absolutely up to you if this bothers you.

Nico07

Nico07 said:

3DS, GBA, SNES, and Gameboy are the only Nintendo consoles that have Street Fighter. Wii, Gamecube, N64 were all passed up.

Samurai_Goroh

Samurai_Goroh said:

@Legromancer Wii U is 3rd place already?! Against what consoles, the PS4 and Xbox One that have not yet been released? Because Wii U is 8th generation, it does not compete with 360 and PS3. Its rivals are yet to come, people judge so quickly nowadays. The fight has not even began.

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

@unrandomsam

As long as it`s not the pS3 version...PS3 multi console releases tend to look like crap with their soft graphics and poor contrast ratio`s....this was the case with Resident Evil 5, Ghostbusters, Bioshock, even Street Fighter IV looks noticeably crisper & Sharper for the 360. :p

Legromancer

Legromancer said:

@Samurai_Goroh
i dunno, 160k sold copies in 4(?) month... i'm prettty sure Wii, 360 and PS3 sold more in this time period.
So, third place compared to recent consoles. I really thought is was clear that we were talking about sales here. And the fact reamins they are bad. That are the facts. No reason to throw PS4 and XBONE in here. Still, the preorders for them are higher than Wii U sales.

Samurai_Goroh

Samurai_Goroh said:

@Legromancer
I don't deny the numbers, dear sir. I am fully aware of the bad trimester the Wii U had. But one does not assess the success or demise of a console by one trimester, not even by 8 months. Unless one is a troll or just thick, that is. Oh, and by the way a trimester comprises 3 months, not four. I learned this in 1st grade, the wonders of the Portuguese public educational system.
Wii U launch last year was a success. The problem was the lack of games that followed lead to a lack of momentum. Guess what, the games are coming, yes the competition is coming too, but I actually think that might be a good thing.
As of now, most consumers don't really know where to position the Wii U. With the arrival of the other 8th generation counterparts, it will become clearer what the Wii U actually is and how a cheaper, with more appealing games available (by the time One and PS4 launch, Wii U will have plenty of system selling titles), free online services and more innovative gameplay alternative to those systems it truly is. As I said the fight has not even began, but Wii U has a ~4 million units headstart. It could be more, but it's a headstart nevertheless.

Haywired

Haywired said:

But what about the exciting opportunity of "de-cluttering the screen" (that I hear is very important to Nintendo fans these days)? They could put the health bars on the Wii U Gamepad screen, so instead of conveniently seeing them right there as you play, you'd have to look down at the controller instead. I mean sure it would suck, but it would be innovative and that's way more important right...?

Anyway, in all seriousness, that's a shame, I would love SFV.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@WaveBoy Must be because the dev tools are much better for the 360.

King of the Fighters is better on PS3 (Think due to the arcade version using Nvidia).

PS3 has been such a waste as so few people have used even a small amount of its potential. (Those SPU's should be able to do loads of cool stuff at the expense of portability).

Legromancer

Legromancer said:

@Park_Triolo
i never talked about the sales in the lifetime of the PS3 at the same time. I talked about hte actual sales. What's so funny about that?
@ Samurai_Goroh

Samurai_Goroh
i don't know why you talk about trimester. I put an questionmark behind my guess about 4 month. That alone should show that i wasn't sure about it and never tried to pretend otherwise.

Can both users please explain why my points arent' legit? Facts are facts. Nobody can change that.

jayclayx

jayclayx said:

@TwilightV you must be that kind of fanboy because street fighter is not trash, actually is one of the most beloved fighting series worldwide, resident evil revelations for 3ds, monster hunter also are not trash, in fact a new brand resident evil on wii u will be sweet.

DePapier

DePapier said:

@Legromancer You need to understand that the Wii U is currently first as your beloved, un-launched systems have currently exactly 0 install base.

I can bet with you right now that the Wii U will forever be at first place.

DePapier

DePapier said:

Now, for real, trolls of the likes of his, if ONE DAY I recognize your donkeys on Smash U, I'll make you regret your year of bullpoop on ma console.

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

@jayclayx Fanboy? I'm not the one bragging about how great cash cows like Street Fighter, Monster Hunter and Resident Evil are. :P

Samurai_Goroh

Samurai_Goroh said:

@ Check your facts, then. Nintendo disclosed sales for 3 months as it is common practice, call it what you like a trimester, a quarter, a supercallifragilisticexpialidocious time period for all I care. Wii U sold 160,000 units from 1st of April to the 30th of June 2013. It is a very bad number, but put in perspective by several reasons. One of them being that the only 1st party release was Game & Wario. Nintendo didn't really tried, they are clearly reallocating their assets for the last quarter of the year.
One thing are facts, another entirely different thing is picking up isolated facts, building up an unsubstantiated theory and calling that a fact. That is what you do. My theory is as good as yours, I just say let the "experiment" run for some more time and gather more data before jumping into conclusions.

Samurai_Goroh

Samurai_Goroh said:

@DePapier I just wonder if the people calling Wii U dead in the water belong to the same loud choir that proclaimed the 3DS a failure two years ago. If so, those people learnt nothing in the mean time. Wait and see, people, it's a marathon, not a sprint.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

Capcom has no plans on doing the right thing for once. Even if i sound like a squid but the folks of capcom are a bucnh of idiots.
Making a dumb decision once in a while is completely normal, but what they are doing comes close to complete incompetence...
But we had that discussion on the recent "capcoms wants your opinion" thread already...

Language, please -Raylax

DePapier

DePapier said:

@Samurai_Goroh I swear this is disturbing me so much in the long run I think I might be really tempted to do it the other way around once the PSONE comes out. How many of these haters actually own a Vita?! How many will own a PSONE at launch?!
Dudes, pledge like I did day one and then talk. Your days haven't even started, so shut up before you actually do dare to obtain the relevant gamer cred.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Something that I don't get is why Capcom is giving the PS360 yet another iteration of SFIV (after saying there would not be any more after AE, so I don't believe Ono now) while they could be porting this "new" Ultra Edition to Wii U, a console that does not have SFIV. Namco made Tekken Tag 2 and Warner released Injustice on Wii U. So it could perfectly release on all consoles.

I am not getting Ultra for my PS3 (as I already have Super) but I would get it for my Wii U since I don't have any SF there.

WWammy

WWammy said:

Street Fighter IV made me buy a 360 if it had come out on the Wii even in lower definition I would have bought it.

Emaan

Emaan said:

I'd love to play Street Fighter V on Wii U someday, though it seems like a game that's pretty distant in the future as far as release goes. So I don't see why it's a question of Wii U support as of right now.

PikminWorld

PikminWorld said:

@sinalefa Yeah it's weird, developers/publishers constantly get on the Wii U about it's hardware, (like EA not making Battlefield 4 for the Wii U because it "can't run the frostbite engine" even though PS3 and Xbox 360 get their versions of it) yet they constantly make versions of next-gen games for the last-gen consoles. They're spending more money on last-gen console versions than they would making a version for the Wii U.

Caryslan

Caryslan said:

@Samurai_Goroh I agree with this 100%. Neither the Vita or Wii U are dead systems. They may not be doing well, but all it takes are a few key games to turn things around. Both Sony and Nintendo have a history of saving lagging systems and turning them into successes.

Four years ago, the PS3 was considered a massive failure that had no chance of surving against the onslaught of the Wii and Xbox 360. Not only did it prove everyone wrong, but it has almost matched the Xbox 360's total sales.

My point is that nothing is guaranteed in the industry. Many of your most successful systems like the Atari 2600, Sega Genesis, and SNES all had sluggish starts before they picked up.

The fact that the 3DS and PS3 have become such successful systems should teach people not to count any platform out. Yeah, the Vita and Wii U aren't selling very well now, but all it takes is that one killer app to push sales. The PSP was dead for several years until Monster Hunter arrived on it. After that, sales of the PSP exploded in Japan.

What people wanted was the Wii U to sell like the WIi did, and that rarely happens. In many ways, this mirrors the PS3 back when it launched.

I just wish people would give the Wii U and Vita a chance rather the playing the "The system is dead card!" If we're here 3 to 4 years from now and nothing has changed, then I'll admit these two systems are dead. But the Vita is barely a year old, and the Wii U is under a year old.

I wish people would give them a chance. Most systems don't really take off until their second year on the market. The Wii U and Vita will become great systems, they just need time to develop.

jayclayx

jayclayx said:

@TwilightV so what kind if cash cows do you like? because to my knowledge any ip from any company has sequels like sonic, mario, megaman, yakuza, donkey kong, call of duty, so I really dont understand your poor foundations but well... fanboys.

Caryslan

Caryslan said:

@PikminWorld Because the Xbox 360 and PS3 are still the platforms with the largest userbase on the market. To ignore them would be stupid, because even the Wii U won't make up for the potental audience they would miss out on. I do agree that more of these games should be on the Wii U, but its not like the Xbox 360 and PS3 are going to be thrown out the door by the new system. Most likely, they will still get a large number of games for another 2 to 3 years while the new systems establish themselves in the marketplace.

The PS3 and 360 have too large of a userbase to ignore, and as much as people may not want to hear this, will likely earn a publisher more money then anything on the Wii U, Xbox One, or PS4.

The current gen systems will likely stay the standard for another few years.

PikminWorld

PikminWorld said:

@Caryslan That is true that those two conoles are still huge enough and will make a ton of money on games still even though the next-gen is peeking through. It's just a little frustrating that even though developers will probably make more money with PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of their games that Wii U aren't getting any version, not to mention they choose their reason for it a lot sometimes too.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Ultra is a $15 DLC upgrade, nothing more. Five new characters, four ported from Street Fighter X Tekken and six backgrounds, also ported from that game.

When Street Fighter X Tekken was released, fans had demanded the four new characters be ported over to Street Fighter and this is what they are finally doing.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@Bass_X0

Capcom is also making a stand alone disc version for this, like they did for the previous two "upgrades". It would be the perfect excuse to squeeze in a Wii U version, but I guess that would have demanded some effort on Capcom's part.

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

@jayclayx: Mega Man's a poor example, considering how many games Capcom has released in recent years. As for the others, at least the teams behind them actually try to make an effort in making them feel different, instead of slapping the same tired formula together with prettier graphics. Try harder fanboy. :P

Rafie

Rafie said:

@Caryslan " but it has almost matched the Xbox 360's total sales."

Not almost...it did! Not by much at all, but still.

Anyway, this really sucks! I've been hoping for a Wii U port for quite some time. Well at least to hear some good news on it. This isn't right. Capcom should seriously rethink this. Are they scared to mess with the gamepad or something?! C'mon now. They even made an iOS version of it. They can certainly make a Nintendo version outside the Wii U. This game is too popular not too. I'm disappointed in hearing this. I would have gladly picked up a copy for Wii U. Hope they change their minds.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

@sinalefa The stand alone disc is basically Super SFIV with the Arcade Edition and Ultra SFIV DLC on the disc unlocked from the start. Its not the same as completely new game or even a proper new update as Super was to vanilla SFIV.

All the work has already been done for the XBOX 360 and PS3 versions - all they are currently doing is the five new characters and six new backgrounds as I mentioned before, some balance changes plus whatever else they haven't said yet, which won't be huge.

Its clear that Capcom don't want to spend too much effort producing Ultra. Street Fighter IV will be five years old by the time its released.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

CRAPCOM: Yeah we had no plans to release Ultra SF4 for the Wii U (which had no SF4 games of any kind) but we do have plans to release it on consoles that already had a whole bunch versions of that same game already.

Rafie

Rafie said:

@Bass_X0 Those 6 "new" backgrounds isn't nothing but 6 stages from Street FighterXTekken. Not really new, but new to USF4. LOL If this game can't come, then can UMVC3 or SFXTK come to the Wii U?! I mean come on already. Capcom should most certainly get the ball rolling with their popular fighters coming to the Wii U. They didn't touch the Wii at all with their fighters. Well...Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom (excellent underrated game I might add) was exclusive to the Wii. Please Capcom bring some fighters this way. You started on Nintendo consoles with the fighters, you can still do it.

Squid

Squid said:

I didn't even think they had ANY plans about Street Fighter V at the moment. I only hope people here don't assume it's just more non-support for the Wii U when actually Capcom has announced literally no plans for the game in general, which I'm sure that they are working on it, but it's really early to rule out SFV for Wii U or any other console for that matter.

XxGame_LoverXx

XxGame_LoverXx said:

I thank if they was release Ultra Street Fighter 4 on Wii U they should let us try out a demo version just to see how the game runs and see how many people would actually play and test the game out 1st!!!! IMO

ddbangsy

ddbangsy said:

@tripunktoj I agree, an update to the 3ds version would be great! I'm surprised there hasn't been any plans for this to happen.
The Ultra version on Wii U would have been nice and I'm sure they would have sold a reasonable amount of copies. Am gutted the Wii U is missing out!

P-Gamer-C

P-Gamer-C said:

your just now noticing the wii u is missing out what about the 50 plus games not coming to the wii u

Rei7

Rei7 said:

It sadden me to see the Wii U not having all this games which is already on other platforms. At least what Nintendo can do is encourage the 3rd party publisher to release it on the e-shop only without physical copies. That is the best option I know to encourage the 3rd party to be confident about the Wii U when they see that digital sales on Wii U aren't as bad as what they think it is now.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

@retro_player_22 They're only creating DLC for an existing game. If someone has Super SFIV, they can download Arcade Edition and Ultra SFIV for $15 each.

element187

element187 said:

@TruenoGT always the perfect combo... Last gen I did PC/Wii. It's fun to bring your rig over to your friends house that is a hardcore Sony or Microsoft gamer and watching their jaws drop when they see true next gen graphics for the first time (PC had Nextgen visuals for the last 3 years).. And with the new consoles from Sony and Microsoft being on par with a low end gaming PC (roughly a $500 PC) we will see PC gamers move to next next gen within the next 2 to 3 years as we get real time ray tracing and Occulus Rift.

This gen I'm doing PC/Wii U/3DS

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@Samurai_Goroh That Nintendo is doing the drop everything and switch tactic isn't going to be very good in the long run if it continues. (I wanted to play Mario Golf this summer for example). I preferred it when handheld and console were completely separate.

Capcom is terrible though taking a 0 effort policy. (They should at least put the stuff that is on XBLA on Wii U). Not the old bad SNES ports. (The broken version of Super Ghoul's and Ghosts was also added when they obviously have a fixed version as it was on PS1/Saturn/PS2).

ShadowFox254

ShadowFox254 said:

When I first saw the trailer It look like SFIV with more DLC characters and is still SFIV. I can't not called it SFV because is just more DLC characters.

tebunker

tebunker said:

If you guys want the SF games on the WiiU then buy the VC games next week, that is about the only way you can show Capcom that there is an audience. All three SNES games come next week, pick your poison.

luminalace

luminalace said:

Why Capcom? The Street Fighter series is amongst my all time favourites and I bought every Wii VC Street Fighter title too. Considering Ultra SF4 isn't coming to Wii U, I sadly very much doubt that SF5 will ever come to Wii U but I would love to be wrong!

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Street Fighter 5 isn't going to be released until 2018 they said. We will probably see more updates of SFIV on other consoles though.