Call of Duty: Ghosts Multiplayer Outlined in Lavish Presentation

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Riley the dog steals the show

While Nintendo fans enjoy regular doses of Nintendo Direct goodness, FPS enthusiasts had an equivalent tonight with a Call of Duty: Ghosts multiplayer reveal, which clocked in at just 56 minutes. The crowds came for details on new modes and weapons, but they stayed for the new series mascot — Riley the dog.

The Activision-published behemoth is coming to a host of systems on 5th November, including Wii U, and a positive from the broadcast is that the features shown are set to feature across all platforms; we'll wait and see whether that remains the case. Among the new features are the ability to play as female soldiers, along with a substantial range of character customisation options. In pure numbers there'll be seven new modes, 30 new weapons and a new class. New modes include a squad mode where you can develop your own crew of AI teammates, and a Cranked mode where kills speed you up; failure to kill again within 30 seconds is deadly, however. In addition there'll be a mobile app in which to arrange clans, some new moves such as contextual leans and knee slides, and there'll be areas in the maps with greater environmental interaction, which means more things will blow up and change the scenery.

And Riley the dog can be used in multiplayer.

There's plenty for fans to be excited about, with the developers clearly keen to maintain the title's position as the most popular multiplayer FPS in the business. We would post the multiplayer trailer below, meanwhile, but the Eminem song playing over it is pretty naughty, dropping more F-bombs than actual bombs going off in the game; a little too fruity for our family friendly policies. If you want to watch it elsewhere then do so with our warning ringing in your ears; the official video is right here.

So what do you think of these changes? Are you looking forward to Ghosts and, if so, will you consider picking it up on Wii U?

[via eurogamer.net]

TromboneGamer

TromboneGamer said:

@AeroTech That's unfair to say about the game. That said, it doesn't look like it's doing much different (doesn't look much different either), but I think only playing it will tell whether it's just inventive enough to be fun. I follow CoD, but have yet to own BO2. Perhaps this time CoD will be treated equally (excluding xbox) on Wii U as well which is a plus (for those who care anyway.)

Savino

Savino said:

Nah... BF4 is more my cup of tea!! Tanks are the only way that I can kill someone! lol

Yeah... I pretty much suck in those games!

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

I like it. Looks like a good, great evolution on the series staple multiplayer. Glad it's coming to Wii U, I don't mind not having DLC should it be like last entry on Wii U, I am doing just fine still with "Black Ops II".

Play-Doh_25

Play-Doh_25 said:

I plan to get this for Wii U. I like using the gun controller. Eventhough COD games can be kinda the same this one seems to have added enough new content for me to want to pick it up. Looking forward to it :)

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

@AeroTech Actually, a lot of stuff can be destroyed like in Battlefield, you can lean on your hips and customize your guy, while all of that's fancy, I won't be getting it.

Play-Doh_25

Play-Doh_25 said:

@SomeBitTripFan They cant make it DLC because its an entire new game with an entire new story. Underdogs fighting in a post apocalyptic world (different than all the other COD). Plus the story should be really good since it is written by Stephen Gaghan (he won an oscar)

@Yanchamaru Im so happy they added girl soldiers

Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad said:

Heh, this is the kind of change I was waiting for from what most people see as a stagnant series.

Jajayal

Jajayal said:

I'll get this on WiiU I think. Just hoping a community builds around the game to keep the multiplayer strong. Is Blops2 multiplayer doing well at the moment?

SomeBitTripFan

SomeBitTripFan said:

@Play-Doh :

But, is it using the same engine? I would have some respect for CoD if they released one game per platform and simply added on a new campaign each year as DLC. Unless, they change to a new engine that improves the quality of the game overall.

GiftedGimp

GiftedGimp said:

Activion also said dual screen features in all versions... ironic that the Gamepad gets stick and called a bad idea yet this idea is the copied for other systems. Trouble is whereas the screen is built into the controller with te gamepad on other system you will need to juggle 2 seperate device which imo is the bad idea... how long do you think it will be before Xbone/Ps4 get a new controller announced with built in screen.. I reckon before Xmas 2014.

Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad said:

@SomeBitTripFan well the guys from COD did say that they built a new "next gen" engine. Allowing for some destructible environments that'll change the game in points, improved sound design and graphics and Ai which they say act like actual people, and other touches.

conman2012

conman2012 said:

@jpfan1989

Dude, you musn't have been listening at the big E3 reveal. Thats their big point of difference with the storyline etc. The announcement spawned a massive number of humorous Scooby Doo Call of Duty Dog Memes all over the net. Check them out for a chuckle.

Or...you knew that already and are just being sarcastic...

Subie98

Subie98 said:

I was totally going to get this day 1 but after another review I read just before seeing this im going to pass til its around 30 bucks. Bf4 still looks/plays better than this seems to be shaping up and im still okay with blops 2 for wii u. Im honestly disappointed. I thought Activision was going to deliever. Dice's fb3 engine and bf4 puts it to shame. Im kind of bummed.

Pichuka97

Pichuka97 said:

I hope they release a pre order set for Wii U too. That's what I'm aiming for. Still getting this for Wii U regardless.

twistedbee

twistedbee said:

I'll consider it after I see if they will support it after launch, DLC isn't necessarily a priority but it would be nice to have support. Support support support!

sonicriders

sonicriders said:

I've always kind of wanted to get into this franchise, everyone loves it, but I've never really played it...maybe with Wii U, I'll finally do it!

EaZy_T

EaZy_T said:

I like the offline 'multiplayer' squad idea, women soldiers and of couse Colin the dog. :D

SomeBitTripFan

SomeBitTripFan said:

@mariobro4: Yeah, true. I'm forgetting what consoles this is coming out on. The game does sound relatively fun, but once they have announced the new game next year, unless they're making some major changes, I'll be right back to thinking that. Imagine if Activision spent three years making a CoD game that evolved the franchise instead of milking it into stagnation. Or if they just kept expanding Ghosts and added campaigns as DLC. Even if the stories weren't connected, that would likely be a great game. I doubt it will happen, but sometimes it's good to try and be a little bit optimistic.

shingi_70

shingi_70 said:

Haven't played a call of duty game for a long time since Modern Warfare 2. Guess I'll jump back in for ghosts depending on the player count.

FLipSide5254

FLipSide5254 said:

I'll get xbox 360 for sure. I wanted it for wii u too but since last bo2 didn't get any DLC, there's no point buying it.

jpfan1989

jpfan1989 said:

@conman2012 no sarcasm here, this is the first I heard, I didn't watch e3 outside the Nintendo direct and I normally avoid COD like the plague

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@Savino
You play BF? I usually play a FPS campaign once a yr, and the Battlefield 4 campaign caught my eye this time around. Only problem is, I heard it would most likely be really short, as campaigns from previous entries were. Have you heard how long the campaign will be in BF4? If it's decent I might give it a go around this yr instead of CoD.

Marks

Marks said:

I played local multiplayer with one of their older titles and it was loads of fun. I like the inclusion of women soldiers and dogs. :)

armoredghor

armoredghor said:

Series looks good. I got into multiplayer with mw3. Good system and it seems well updated. It mostly seems like cosmetic affect but sliding (as in baseball) and 7 new game types makes it seem good. It's not a game to get every year but the system looks new enough (maps, game types, weapons, weapon types, expanded perk system, upgraded pick 10 system, modes, and customization options) to make it worth while. That being said, I'll skip it if they don't bring the new maps to Wii U.

banacheck

banacheck said:

mariobro4
well the guys from COD did say that they built a new "next gen" engine

Activision said that, & Infinity Ward has said themselves it's not a brand new engine, it would be impossible to build a new engine from the ground up in 2years. It's the same engine thay've been using for over 10years but with a few updates.I 'll be picking up BF4 for the PS4, 64players in multiplayer & thay are making a better campaign, this time around.

ScorpionMG

ScorpionMG said:

There's so many games coming on wii u, that i wont have enough money for this game, And anyway, isn't cod getting repititive?

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

Ah yes, Riley the dog. I thought Colin was funny as it was a name some such as EG gave it, but that was silly as not all knew that was going around as a gag. It was late night for me when I wrote it, but I've changed the names to be accurate, in any case!

odd69

odd69 said:

COD is a multiplayer experience through and through. Sometimes I like it, mostly I don't.

GiftedGimp

GiftedGimp said:

@DePapier Yes it will. Activision are promoting 2nd screen functionality. The WiiU has one a standard All other platforms are app downloads for smart devices.

GiftedGimp

GiftedGimp said:

@Sony_70 I had a few years break from CoD as I got bored of the series before getting Blops2 on Ps3 and was suprised I enjoyed it. Although I didn't get Blops2 on WiiU I'll be getting Ghosts for it.

ThePurplePanzy

ThePurplePanzy said:

@Jajayal The BLOPS community was small but pretty great. I still know plenty of people that log on ans play. It should be a lot better this time around though.

bahooney

bahooney said:

Headline: Call of Duty: Ghosts Muliplayer Outlined

There's plenty for fans to be excited about. The publisher has stated that there will be guns in the game, and you will shoot people.

In other news, here's Ken with the daily percentage of blue in the sky.

Shambo

Shambo said:

When I got home from work this morning, I could've sworn the dog was mentioned as Colin. Or was it me being exhausted?

edit: I see this has been discussed already, still funny though, as I prefer Colin ;)

Anyway, multiplayer improvements all seem nice from this short synopsis, and the trailer looks good. But I want to know if the single player campaign -which makes the dog seem more interesting- has the following:

-Wiimote+nunchuck controls

-smaller warfare (BF4 looks impressive and all, but I want the less bombastic, more swift squad-feel)

-more than a handful of hours of interesting story telling, with 'real' characters. It doesn't need to be Brothers in Arms -although that would make it a day one purchase- but the first Modern Warfare was decent in that regard.

-fish a.i. Kidding. Serious about the others though. In Blops 2 I really couldn't care about the story or characters even if I knew it continued Blops 1, which had a decent story. Didn't Mario 64 have fish a.i. already?

If they can bring back the 'small scale' fighting in a wargame, the black hawk down feel of Modern Warfare 1, and the campaign length/game price balance, I'll get it.

b23cdq

b23cdq said:

I can't find the Wii U version anywhere online in Europe. Do you know anything about this?

armoredghor

armoredghor said:

The DLC for Wii U is unconfirmed. If you go to the website, they allow orders for elite on all other platforms except Wii U. It could be because they haven't decided; It could be be because they don't plan on it. But a lack of support will guarantee a loss.

IxnayontheCK

IxnayontheCK said:

Loved MW. Liked MW2. Loved black ops. Hated MW3. Was a bit meh about blops 2. So...i have my concerns. Wondering how stripped down the WiiU version will be =/

smashbrolink

smashbrolink said:

I hear the special editions won't be offered to Wii U owners, so if that's an indication that we won't get all the DLC, then that sucks royal balls.

zerotheclown

zerotheclown said:

I for one don't mind missing out on the DLC. I'll buy the game, enjoy the story once or twice, play tons of multiplayer, and that's that. That money I won't be spending on DLC for this game can go to funding another game purchase. It's a good thing!