Bravely Default: For the Sequel Confirmed for Japan

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Think of it as Bravely Default: Flying Fairy 1.5

While it's unclear when exactly it's coming, either late 2013 or 2014 for Europe and North America, Square Enix RPG Bravely Default: Flying Fairy is coming to the 3DS in the West. That's news that delighted fans of the genre that were also charmed by images and impressions of the title, though we now wonder whether the localisation will be of the original, or the revamped expansion on the way.

Square Enix has confirmed Bravely Default: For the Sequel in Japan, which according to the latest issue of Weekly Jump (translated by Gematsu) will be an evolution of the original. It'll reportedly feature updated controls, new events, auto-battles, more save slots (three), difficulty level selection and the ability to speed up battles. It's very much an expansion, as it'll be possible to transfer save data from the original game.

Targeting the download market, this arrives in Japan on 5th December for 2,900 Yen on the eShop, and a pricier 4,990 Yen for physical copies. We hope the localised version will incorporate these new features, and will look out for details.

[via gematsu.com]

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

AWESOME! I bet this will take even longer to get seeing as it took forever just for the first one to get localized.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I would rather wait a bit more and have the definitive version right away.

Araknie

Araknie said:

So, we will get the dumbdumb version now...but i can't wait, i'll get the one i'm sure will arrive and stick with that.

rjejr

rjejr said:

"For the sequel" I'm guessing is some type of translation weirdness, it's really supposed to be "1.5" or "reboot" or "international ed.", no?

Is it ok if I use that image as my desktop wallpaper? Or whatever it's called in Win 8 Gateway ed?

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

It doesn't really matter to me, one or the other, I just want to experience the game. They could always patch it up with an update later anyways so the original coming is all I care about.

Cloud-San-VII

Cloud-San-VII said:

Hm... Maybe I should import this version...... Nah, I'll just wait and hope that the updates are in the West's versions.

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

Why do Japanese companies insist on making updated games for almost full price?

Pixel-Perfect

Pixel-Perfect said:

Let me guess... they're going to give us the original game and ignore these updates. But I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

duality

duality said:

Really hoping that we get this and not just the original. Going to pretty annoyed if this ends up like Kingdom Hearts and that which does a Final Mix and only releases it in Japan and maaaybe NA without caring about Europe/Australia -_-

BigBluePanda

BigBluePanda said:

The original is definitely coming to Europe this year. Nintendo UK have a release schedule on their website which has it down for 'End of 2013'.

mullen

mullen said:

@FishieFish I read some Japanese versions of this news, and it seems that the download version is a DLC. The quality of the scanned version magazine I found online is just too low that I can't recognize the original text, but there're much more characters used to describe the DL version than physical copy. So I guess you can play the DL version only if you already have BDFF, and that's why it's cheaper. (Actually I hope so because I already have the original version and don't want to thing that's useless now...)

Update: now I can confirm what I said. The download version is only for the gamers who have original version.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@ThomasBW84 - Thanks, the jpg looks good at 1440 x 900 w/ black widescreen borders. Now where's the wrap-of overview of all todays news? You didn't clock out at 5 did you ;-)

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

With all of the crazy news today I almost forgot to comment here! Please give us this version. It only makes sense! Either way I'm on rpg overload as it is and this should come about at the right time to kick it back up again! Can't wait to see what we get!!

Pianomanfreak

Pianomanfreak said:

What a clever name for the title Square Enix now localize the Dragon Quest games please especially 7.

One-Winged-Pit

One-Winged-Pit said:

Yay after all the pleas for it to be localized Bravely Default they decide to do this. Will America ever get it? Should they even bother localizing Bravely Default and just give us this instead?

GrinderFiend

GrinderFiend said:

Man,the localized version better be this one. If not I'm guessing they are gonna first release vanilla then the updated version for most cash. They might be over-estimating the loyalty of fans in the west if so. They arent gonna buy every version they find just because the name is on it.