Assault Android Cactus Will Blast Its Way to the Wii U eShop

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

It looks rather cool

On the Wii U launch day Shin'en Multimedia brought us Nano Assault Neo on the eShop, which give fans of twin-stick shooters plenty to enjoy. As a genre it's been absent since, but Australian developer Witch Beam has now confirmed that its take on the top-down twin-stick shooter is coming to the Wii U — Assault Android Cactus.

This shooter places you in the role of Cactus, "an enthusiastic police android", that reports to a ship under distress that's been overrun by malfunctioning robots. The best way to deal with these robots is to blow them up, naturally, so the tone is set for this bullet hell shooter. This title promises boss fights and dynamic music and stages that adjust to your gameplay, while there are four different characters with their own play styles. Four player local co-op will also be included for sharing the mayhem.

Already coming to PC / Mac / Linux towards the end of the year, this title is now also confirmed for the Wii U eShop. The Nintendo system is currently slated to get the title in Q1 2014, alongside the PS4 and PS Vita. Check out the trailer below and let us know what you think.

Ricube

Ricube said:

Reminds me of Cannon Spike on my old Dreamcast... ahhh... nice memories... ;-)

Pahvi

Pahvi said:

I was hoping for this piece of news. Hopefully AAC will feed my hunger for twinstick shooters for a good long while - starting soon.

ToniK

ToniK said:

I hope it will have more content than Nano Assault Neo. I kinda enjoy twin-stick mayhem. Makes you feel like a bada*s!

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

Oh, Shin'en, can you do any wrong? No, no you can't, bless you for that.

This looks like "Smash TV" on steroids... looking forward to it!

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@Shiryu This isn't a Shin'en game, it's by Witch Beam :) I mentioned Shin'en at the start for some context, but then went on to mention this game's devs.

hiptanaka

hiptanaka said:

A twin stick shooter with non-abstract graphics and seemingly interesting game design. Finally!

PinkSpider

PinkSpider said:

Hope this looks as good on the Wii U
And if it plays as well as it looks it will be an instant day one download for me. And another cool local 4 player game to play

Cohort

Cohort said:

@luminalace The Super NES version was incredible... (waits for @MadAussieBloke 's thoughts on the MD version :) ) sad not to see it in the VC line up :(

If this is half as good as Smash TV then we are onto a winner there.. :)

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

@ThomasBW84 I noticed my mistake at the end of trailer, but what I wrote still stands, I really like Shin'en, hope they put an awesome "FAST League Racing" Sequel out on Wii U and 3DS.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

The Chaos Engine comes out on steam pretty soon. (Soldier of Fortune in the US originally).

I am not bothered about twin stick or not. (Don't mind Virtual On with 2 joysticks).

(Playing Nano Assault EX on the 3DS without circle pad pro is about the right difficulty for me. Don't think I would want to use the circle pad pro unless the difficulty was increased to compensate).

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@Shiryu Think I would like them to fix up Iridion II for the eshop. Or do a run n gun.

Everything I have had from them has been pretty good quality so far. (So if they are less than £15 I will just get them straight away). If it is more than £15 I want a demo or a price cut (Or significant time to pass - if it stands up as a classic I will get it).

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

@unrandomsam Id wish they put their games on boxes. Yes, I would gladly pay extra cash to town their games on physical format. Like "BIT TRIP Complete" on Wii and 3DS. Both "Iridiums" where great on GBA, "Nanostray"'s on DS scratched my shmup itch quite nicely and when Nintendo neglected to give us a "F-Zero", they stepped up in delivering a futuristic racer with a game mechanic that give WipE'out a run for it's money!

Ricube

Ricube said:

@Emblem You are not alone, there are others who had a Dreamcast, it's difficult to find them, but they really existed!

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Man this game looks really awesome. The main character designs seem a bit off to me but that doesn't matter at all since when you're playing the game you won't be looking up close at your character anyway. The actively changing levels looks like tonnes of fun & challenging. Also, the boss fights look insane! Just another indie game I've got on my radar, it feels like an endless list at this point! :D