Video: The Pokémon Tretta Lab Add-On Makes the Circle Pad Pro XL Look Streamlined

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

You can't get this monster in your pocket

A little while ago we told you about Pokémon Tretta Lab coming to the 3DS in Japan, an app accompanied by fairly bulky hardware to bring an arcade experience home. It arrives in the region on 10th August, with the app being free but the hardware costing 3,800 yen (approx. £25 / €30 / $38).

This provides a variation of Pokémon Tretta arcades found throughout Japan, where you collect plastic discs for different 'mon and use them to enter battles to win more discs. It's a form of NFC (near field communication), and certainly taps into the collect'em'all instincts, while the 3DS app offers Tretta Analyser, Type Checker and Auto Battle modes to explore.

While we know a fair bit about it, it's nevertheless pleasing to finally see it in action courtesy of the new trailer, below. It's smaller than the arcade, which is nice, but still seizes the crown of bulkiest 3DS accessory out there, which is going some with the Circle Pad Pro XL doing the rounds. Check it out below and let us know what you think.

[via kotaku.com]

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Well that's... something. I won't care if that doesn't come here, and I love pokemon.

Shambo

Shambo said:

Next up: the arcade machine docking station for your poké walker.

aj_fowl

aj_fowl said:

Is it really more awkward then carrying around a Skylanders or Disney Infinity portal?

dumedum

dumedum said:

I wonder if such a thing has potential in the U.S. They should try and make some ridiculous money with accessories.

Windy

Windy said:

Looks neat! If they could do something with those cards like raising the pokemon. Then you could send them to your friends through mail or giving the cards to them . There might be some neat things you could do with this

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

Wtf? You know this will never see the light of day outside of Japan. I'm still waiting to get the pokemon typing game in the US.

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

That's confusing. I live in Japan and if this is free I'll get it. But from this description I'm confused. Its funny because my Japanese is actually ok, but this game seems weird. Or it seems to not be an actual game, rather than an app.

Ultra128

Ultra128 said:

I love it when they say something in English. It's .1% easier to understand that way.

Play-Doh_25

Play-Doh_25 said:

I love pokemon...but this...I definitely dont want. Everything is so bulky and for no reason.

Nibelilt

Nibelilt said:

@aj_fowl We don't know about Disney Infinity, but Skylanders actually stores two Skylanders on the game at a time and the next game will apparently let you have them all at once and switch between them, soooo...

KiwiPanda

KiwiPanda said:

The arcade machine is awfully popular in Japan, so while it's no huge surprise to me they made a sequel, I'm a bit surprised they'd put it on the 3DS. And it's not going to come out of Japan. It's in Japan due to its predecessor's popularity, which it certainly doesn't have elsewhere.

LexKitteh

LexKitteh said:

Wouldn't it make more sense for this to come to Wii U with the NFC sensor built in? Well, no chance for western release anyway.

RudysaurusRex

RudysaurusRex said:

What exactly do you do with this? Do you just watch an animation of them bouncing off of each other?

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

That machine is huge, but it's understandable, because it teleports you to a red and white room.

Maybe those disc things will be like the cards. I'm confused. I would have thought Pokemon cards would have AR readability buult in instead of this.

ToastyYogurt

ToastyYogurt said:

I wish this and the arcade machine came to NA. Seems like something I'd keep popping in coins or swiping a card for.

It could make decent sales in NA, even in the state arcades are in here. I remember this one arcade game from about 8 years back called Dinosaur King. The game itself was essentially glorified Rock Paper Scissors (seriously, they didn't even hide that), but every time you started it up the machine spat out a Dinosaur card for you to swipe into the game as your monster of choice. I've seen kids hogging the machine, hoping to collect all of the cards. That's the only reason anybody actually played the game; paying a dollar to play Rock Paper Scissors against a CPU (or your friend) doesn't sound like a very good way to spend money. I'm sure Marvelous and Nintendo put together a better game then that, and I would definitely give this a try if I saw it around.

Then again, back when Dinosaur King came out, my friends were still playing Pokemon. In this day and age when kids of all ages are playing Call of Duty, a Pokemon arcade game having success in NA would be a tossup. I guess the success of this would be determined by how many "Collect 'Em All" people often visit arcades. It seems like a longshot of coming here, but I would love to give this game a try.

Gioku

Gioku said:

Now that I've seen the back of it, my god that thing is HUGE! 0_0

Darkness3131

Darkness3131 said:

I have to admit it does look kinda cool. I'd buy one I think. I've also ogled those arcade machines for a while too.