Video: New Nintendo Direct Mini Broadcasts Released

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Check them out here

In what's rapidly becoming a rather busy day for fans of the big N, there are all new Mini Nintendo Direct broadcasts to enjoy, released right onto YouTube. Both the European and North American regions have their own variations, with subtle differences between the announcements.

In both cases Earthbound is saved as the finale, and some well-known upcoming Wii U releases are shown off alongside some new StreetPass accessibility and, for Europe, some classic SEGA titles in 3D. We'll cover the news from the broadcasts as usual on the site, but while we do that you can check out both videos below.

Nintendo of America

Nintendo of Europe

SkywardCrowbar

SkywardCrowbar said:

This was good! The surprise element of this will generate some buzz around the net. Good stuff in this Direct.

Also, it seems even more likely to me now that we'll see a Nintendo Direct in either late August or early September.

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

The Nintendo Zones at Best Buy locations in my area never work, but I know it's because Best Buy sucks.
It's cool if you're at McDonald's sometimes.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@DrKarl - My kids loved Dark Gary. And the 2 guys who sat on a couch playing games - "Camel sofa?!?!" I stopped watching after Alison left.

wober2

wober2 said:

I really like Bill Trinen much more then Reggie. Just seems more relatable and seems like he knows the games better. Still an air of that careful corporate language... but of course there is.

Plutonian

Plutonian said:

I've been waiting a long time to play Earthbound. I'm surprised and thrilled to see it finally comes to the eshop. It would have been nice if it was one of our (US) .30 games, but paying nine for a digital copy is certainly better than paying hundreds for the cartridge.

DerpSandwich

DerpSandwich said:

I don't like surprise ND's. All the news gets spoiled before I even get a chance to watch them.

sletari

sletari said:

I wish they would let nintendo of america prepare the european nintendo direct, much better presentation and messaging =)

MrGawain

MrGawain said:

I like Shibata's Directs , especially the one where they got him to sing along to Sing Star or whatever it was.

element187

element187 said:

@FishieFish YESS!!!! why isn't anyone else requesting more SMTxFE news?

My guess is they just announced the partnership with Atlus back in January and they really haven't begun development yet... for this title to be successful they will probably need a larger install base if 700,000 is the bare minimum to break even on an HD FE/SmT game... so late 2014/early 2015 release?

Emblem

Emblem said:

@element187 Your right, its way too early in the games development to have any real news on it. I would also agree on your expected arrival date. However they only need to shift about 500,000 for it to be successful since its a two way venture. My guess is they will likely make a striped down version for 3DS later in order to increase profitability.

Urbanhispanic

Urbanhispanic said:

Well it's about time! I never played it for the SNES but I may give it a chance one day...that is if I ever get a Wii U. :(

Truelovetat

Truelovetat said:

What nice surprise to have Earthbound on the eshop. I'm sure having that game alone and being able to play it on the gamepad should generate sales for the system. I'm still waiting for this Chronicles of Mystara to get a Wii U release! But overall Nintendo is stepping up thier game and is nice to see that. I have never been dissapointed with Wii U and look forward to getting 4-5 of the games set to be released this year. But I'm sure I'll end up getting more cause being a collector, I need to have them all. lol

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

Okay, he did seem like kind of a creep when he was talking about Spin the Bottle. :P

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

Well i guess this officially marks the first NEW Wii U VC release...Finally. :p
But yup, I'm not a big fan of RPGs(aside from Chrono Trigger and FFIII), but that won't stop me from taking on Earthbound which was another SNES title i never bothered to play but instead 'watched' as my friend spent hours playing it back during the 16-bit early wurly 90's. Earthbound's giant SNES Box and slick guide + Scratch 'n sniff characters made it seem so special...

I'd feel like a complete baffoon(of the non DK variety) if i passed on it again, it's an SNES masterpiece after all, whoknows i may actually fall madly in love with it, hopefully April 'O Neil doesn't get the jelous jellies! B-) Also, Spin the Bottle looks like a total train wreck. it's even more painful than some of those akward multi player finger touch screen mini games in Wii Party U.

kobe1724

kobe1724 said:

"Fortunately, or perhaps unfortunately, this game doesn't require any kissing." Dang it, this was a day 1 purchase for me until he said that!

CAM290

CAM290 said:

@ClassicSonicFan
Please keep in mind if you were to look for this game elsewere there is a 99% chance the original title would cost you no less than $40.00 USD. One copy of Earthbound is going for $80.00 at a local used game store here.

Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad said:

@ClassicSonicFan How dare they charge us $2 more bucks for a revered and an expensive SNES cartridge that we can get for like. $70-80+ bucks! Who do they think they are? Microsoft?

Plutonian

Plutonian said:

70-80? I have not seen a copy sell for less than 150 for years. If I could find a physical copy for 80 I would probably grab it just to play on my snes with the original controller. That's probably what it sold for at release anyway. I feel like I spent 90 or something on Chrono Trigger in 95'. Games were a lot more expensive back then.

Shambo

Shambo said:

Watched the first one, went out for a eshop card, bought Earthbound, played it for a bit, now... Where was I?

SammyOfMobius

SammyOfMobius said:

@CAM290 ...for an SNES cartridge. An actual SNES cartridge is worth much more than a digital version of an SNES cartridge. Nintendo's Virtual Console titles are a bit overpriced. The same can be said for almost everything on the e-Shop. Compared to the prices of games on other digital services, Nintendo's digital products' prices seem like a rip-off. Nintendo is the dominant gaming company (in my eyes), no doubt, but even they have their flaws.

Back to the main point, of course an SNES cartridge is worth more than a digital copy. That's why digital Earthbound should be lowered to $8 because digital 16-bit titles being $10 seems like a rip-off compared to other digital services.

Sigh... You can go back to arguing with me now.

SammyOfMobius

SammyOfMobius said:

@The_Joker I think Nintendo should stop focusing on adding some new gimmick per console and focus on making a system with a strong lineup of games (first and third party) and power that'll compete with Sony and Microsoft's consoles after PS4 and Xbox One. However, I'm content with the Wii U right now. :)

CAM290

CAM290 said:

@ClassicSonicFan
What makes it worth more? The plastic and silicon? Not that much more.

Collectability I suppose? Though the worth will vary from person to person. I know i wouldn't buy it for no more than $15.