Video: Assassin's Creed IV Takes to the High Seas and Blows Stuff Up

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Blast 'em, Cap'n!

While it's tempting to get carried away and focus almost exclusively on the titles that Nintendo's bringing to the Wii U in the second half of 2013, there are also some fairly tasty offerings from third-parties to look forward to. One of these is Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag, the latest entry in the flagship — geddit? — Ubisoft franchise; as you've no doubt picked up from our abysmal quip, it's a title that'll feature plenty of action out at sea.

With a storyline centered around Edward Kenway in the Caribbean, featuring plenty of well-known pirates, there'll be liberal use of the naval battles that first featured in last year's Assassin's Creed III. We'd expect the development team to have tweaked and improved the mechanics, especially if it's a game style set to take up proportionately more of the campaign. As such Ubisoft has produced a new trailer focused on the battles on the high seas; expect explosions, cliches and action in abundance.

Check it out below and let us know what you think.

ikki5

ikki5 said:

I'm excited for this :)

Will be definitely getting this in October

Warruz

Warruz said:

Iv come to the conclusion this will be windwaker meets AC. I will be picking this up.

Banazir_Galbasi

Banazir_Galbasi said:

I wish that an assassins creed game would come to 3ds I mean there was one to come to vita why not 3ds?

Emblem

Emblem said:

I love pirate games and some of the features look sweet but the mass glorified murder and overall disdain for life of the Assassin's Creed series really irks me. I'm too old to find enjoyment simply from killing people in as many ways as developers can think of. I'll keep a eye on it as it looks nice but AC3 was just a bland story dashed with gratuitous violence and i wasn't impressed.

SkywardCrowbar

SkywardCrowbar said:

@Subie98 I know how many games there are in the series. :) All I meant is that I have the first 2 on my friends 360, so I'm going to play those to see if I like the series before diving into it further.

Tuurtledove

Tuurtledove said:

Until now not a single "Assassin's Creed" game has actually interested me. (Though the multiplayer was always uniquely enjoyable). Though I'm actually rather interested in this particular title. On the basis that as a child I put many hours into "Sid Meier's: Pirates". And to have another pirate-based game appear on the market, only this time in glorious graphics, and by a renown publishing company. Well, that's surely something to be interested in indeed

hydeks

hydeks said:

I still need to play Assassin's Creed 3 before this, but this looks great so far! I own 3, I've just been trying to get through Mass Effect 3 >< It's a very long game lol

Subie98

Subie98 said:

@SkywardCrowbar my mistake. Ive enjoyed the series but some people dont like it. However it seems most people like it. Odds are in your favor that youll like it.

EpicGamer

EpicGamer said:

@Emblem
....Umm...in the Assassin's Creed series you're not just running around killing people for fun (though that's what the player usually likes to do.) In Assassin's Creed 3, when you take the roll as Connor (hopefully I spelled that right) all the people that you have to kill, are the "bad" people. They want to try to kill Washington, they want to try to take Conner's village, and they don't want freedom. Conner is fighting for FREEDOM in that game, mostly for his people. Also, you know that you can turn the blood off, right?

You seriously think the violence in Assassin's Creed 3 is like way too much? You need to get out more. The world we live in is more violent than these games.

Shambo

Shambo said:

I'm reconsidering avoiding this title. It looks pretty refreshing for the series. But so did 3... I'll wait, I guess.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@Subie98 Wrong again- you forgot Revelations. There was AC, AC2, AC Brotherhood, AC Revelations, AC3, and now AC4.