SteamWorld Dig To Hit 3DS eShop in North America and PAL Regions on 8th August

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Keep on diggin'

A little while ago we discovered that Swedish developer Image & Form was working on a spiritual successor to DSiWare title SteamWorld: Tower Defence. In our interview with the developer, we were told that the 3DS eShop title is a "platform mining adventure" with the "aim to mix platform play with puzzles and emergent elements". It was also explained to us that it's likely to attract more experienced gamers, and "around 12 hours of solid gameplay" is now being promised; it all sounds promising.

We don't have long to wait to see how well it'll stack up, with Image & Form confirming that the title will arrive in North America and PAL regions on 8th August, with prices set at $8.99 / €8.99 / 11.99 AUD. You'll control Rusty the "steam-powered cowbot" to dig your way to riches in a steampunk era at the turn of the 19th Century, so we expect some cool cowboy-style hats and, of course, some kind of sinister threat to take on.

The official trailer will apparently be released on 6th August, so until then we have the beta footage below. Are you interested in picking this up?

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

I like the art style at least. I am interested in seeing the soon to be released official trailer.

imageform

imageform said:

It's drop-dead gorgeous, folks. Thomas W: you're the most beautiful man alive, and we love you to bits. Thanks!

Sunnymj

Sunnymj said:

Looking forward to it next week, and I hope it's a great game. Already have eshop-credits on my account, and I'm so happy the eshop gets new interesting games.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

Definitly interested. Will wait for a review though and possible price drop or sale. Too much to play the rest of this year. I've already bought games and they're just sitting there untouched.

Klimbatize

Klimbatize said:

This has been on my radar for a little while now, and looks like it has a lot of potential. Unless a review comes out saying it's broken, I'll be buying it.

Urbanhispanic

Urbanhispanic said:

It looks like a quirky, fun game. I haven't played the first one but may consider picking this one up.

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

Looks fun, but did they really have to show the trailer with thr player losing? It's almost a turnoff instead of influencing a purchase like they're trying to do.

Macarony64

Macarony64 said:

I was watching gameplay of this game and asking when would it be released it is great that ill be so soon.

3DSAllDay

3DSAllDay said:

I like the looks of it but I will wait for a review of the game before picking it up.

Bazly

Bazly said:

An official trailer we know about thanks to the investigative skills of... who now? ;D

Really excited for this one! Though I would hope a procedurally generated world would have more than 12 hours to offer...