Soul Saga: Episode I Kickstarter Campaign Closes After Tripling Original Goal

Posted by Andy Green

Plenty of stretch goals reached

Disastercake's Kickstarter campaign for Soul Saga: Episode I has officially closed after receiving more than three times the original target.

The project had 5,631 unique backers and amassed an impressive total of $195,528 in the end.

Originally aiming for a PC, Linux and Mac release, Soul Saga: Episode I will now grace the Wii U thanks to a stretch goal that was lowered earlier in the campaign. It didn't take long for it to reach, however, and it smashed through it before the month of June was out.

As the title suggests, the game is an episodic JRPG starring a young lad called Mithos, who's on a quest to become the most successful Guild Master of all time.

Described by the developer as a "love letter to J-RPG classics" the game is influenced by the likes of Final Fantasy, Breath of Fire, Suikoden and Persona.

Naturally, nearly all stretch goals for the project were hit and new playable characters, monsters and weapons will all be coming to the finished version.

There will be a Guild Hall in the final version where you'll be able to recruit more guild members and assign them teams. Once this is done you can send them off on jobs - you are the Guild Master after all. These new pals can embark on remote missions to find treasure, discover lost landmarks, and locate hidden dungeons to explore.

Guild Battles will also be included, allowing for a new strategic combat mode that allows for larger scale scraps achieved by splitting your guild members into teams.

Disastercake's Mike Gale said he'd been amazed by the level of support for Soul Saga: Episode I and thanked everyone who helped fund it.

Another big Kickstarter success, then. Did you contribute to its funding? Let us know in the comment section below.

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

Well, I hope the guy doesn't ask for money on Episode 2 or 3 down the road...

Bobhobob

Bobhobob said:

Sweet! 3DS version would be nice, but I can't complain, as the Wii U version seems pretty swell too!

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

The "Episode 1" part kinda makes me uneasy with that. RPGs are mainly story centered, so you pump hour after hour into that game, get a cliffhanger and "whoops, gotta make Ep.2, guys, give me all your money...again"

Metaknight_3Raw

Metaknight_3Raw said:

@Einherjar

Well, the main game is going to be between 15-20 hours worth of gameplay and that figure was quoted before we reached all those awesome goals. A lot of RPGs have endings like that but just don't explicitly state that they are the first episode of something.

@Kaio-Ken

I'm a backer so I'm really interested to know what you don't find appealing. Do you not like JRPG's in general or is it something else?

Metaknight_3Raw

Metaknight_3Raw said:

@Bobhobob

I asked about a 3DS version but he mentioned something about Unity engine not supporting the 3DS. Though it's definitely not out of the question. This game in 3D would look so good :D

JustinH

JustinH said:

@Einherjar
The dev has said he wants the series to work like the .Hack series in terms of releases. I suppose that's not everybody's thing of course, but the idea isn't to have it drip out like Walking Dead or anything.

Kaio-Ken

Kaio-Ken said:

@Metaknight_3Raw

I was just mocking the first comment, it's annoying when people comment about how uninterested they are (just don't read the article, maybe?). I personally can't wait to see more on this, the game looks great so far!

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

Maybe they can release the stretch goals they missed as DLC if support for the game is good enough? They sounded pretty interesting.

scottsensei

scottsensei said:

Backed this one last minute. Definitely looking forward to have that RPG itch scratched on the Wii U.

Warruz

Warruz said:

Bit on the edge with the game, it looks good in terms of everything but the art style i am just not a fan of to the extent it may be a deal breaker.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I'm greatly looking forward to this game. Will pick it up for Wii U eShop upon release for sure :D

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

I backed this early on. So glad to see so many goals met. Looks to be a fun game and I love the unique effects in combat. Can't wait to see it come together.

Tuurtledove

Tuurtledove said:

I'm not necessarily interested in the game itself (Only a few JRPG-styled games have kept my interest in the past). Though the massive amount of support the Wii U is getting from the Indie Community is overwhelming, and I can quite see Nintendo becoming a haven for Indie Developers in the future

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

@JustinH Like .hack ? Its ages ago sice i played that. Wasnt i a connected Backstory (almost like a sub-plot) but somewhat stand alone plots of the game itself ? Either way, im a bit nervous when it comes to crowdfunded indies and "Episodic games"
Why not just plan one whole title, close the story but dont shut the door, leave room for a sequel to hook up. If it works, continue, if not, you delivered a complete experience.
Call it paranoia, but something iffy like that makes me quite hesitant to buy such a title. Is there any word from the dev itself what exactly "Ep.1" will mean ? Will it be the start of a franchise or does it indeed mean that its only "half" th story ?
Its the same kind of feeling i had with Sonic 4. And my guts was right about not getting it on WiiWare ASAP...
I so hope that this goes into a diffrent direction fingers crossed

Metaknight_3Raw

Metaknight_3Raw said:

@Kaio-Ken
Haha in retrospect I really should have realised that :P good to know you're liking the look of it :)

@Einherjar
I guess no one will know for sure until it releases. Best thing to do is wait for NintendoLife and other sites to review it. Looks very promising so far

jmax

jmax said:

@Retro_on_theGo To be honest, I also agree; I do not see the appeal here. Separate from that though, I am also terribly uncomfortable with the "one-man" development "team". While it may sound silly to some, what would happen if this guy were to be hit by a bus? Having the responsibility and workload of an entire near-200k project on the shoulders of one person, just seems like a really bad idea.

Neko_Rukiafan

Neko_Rukiafan said:

I love guild style RPG's this will be an instant download for my Wii U. ;)
Sorry my browser messed up and posted my message 5 times, but I quickly deleted the excess messages. ;)