Shigeru Miyamoto Emphasizes That New Experiences, and a New Franchise, Are Keeping Him Busy

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

When Mario Kart 8 arrives a "whole lineup" will be in place

Since E3 2013, Nintendo's made a big play of lining up an extensive range of regular Wii U releases for the remainder of 2013, along with Mario Kart 8 for Spring 2014 and a range of other titles — such as Super Smash Bros. slated for a broader 2014 arrival. Nintendo has also intrigued us with comments in the recent investor Q & A of brand-new types of games that are yet to be announced, with Satoru Iwata suggesting that they'd be the sort of fresh experiences that will arrive at short notice for greater impact and to avoid imitation. For those of us keen to see the Wii U hardware pushed in innovative directions, it's certainly served notice.

In a recent interview with Famitsu that's been reported by Polygon, Shigeru Miyamoto has spoken of the benefits of greater system speed from the most recent update, a broader lineup being fully in place by next Spring, and has also stated clearly that he's busy at work on a new franchise.

With the most recent version update, the system runs a lot better, and while there will continue to be improvements in the future, I think it's to the point where it's a convenient thing to have in the living room. Of course, these sorts of updates mean nothing if we don't put out games for it, and I hope people are looking forward to the games coming up. We'll have Mario Kart 8 out next spring, and at that point we'll have the whole lineup in place, so I think it's about time we brought out a new franchise. I can't give out details, but that's the title that's been keeping me pretty busy lately.

New IPs have certainly been on the wishlists of some Nintendo fans, particularly those that may fear the existing franchises going stale. Shigeru Miyamoto is on the case, so it'll be interesting to see what emerges.

[via polygon.com]

Clayfrd

Clayfrd said:

I hate to admit it, but I'm constantly flip flopping between wanting new IPs and wanting sequels to abandoned IPs (I lament every year there's not a new F-Zero). Still, one of Nintendo's youngest home console IPs, Pikmin, is also quite possibly my favorite series of all time, so I certainly await this new franchise with bated breath. I just hope it's not another entry in the "Wii" series.

World

World said:

Obligatory "sure hope it's the mother-in-law game, har har" post.

(But actually...it really might be okay. Dealing with in-laws? THERE'S your "mature themes," gaming public of today!)

triforcepower73

triforcepower73 said:

If they come out with a new IP the competition is in a ton of trouble! They better watch it! The competition I mean.

King47

King47 said:

After the fire emblem news I dont really care.
I hope the game is rated teen or mature though.

PattonFiend

PattonFiend said:

For sure. Nintendo must not realize that we have all gotten older since 1985... A mature game or two would definitely help with the majority of the older crowd buying their consoles...

GearsOfWarU

GearsOfWarU said:

New IP from Miyamoto = Awesome ;-) ... At some point I want a new Kid Icarus U, Luigi Mansion U & Star Fox U

redsoul91

redsoul91 said:

Depending on the timing here, this new IP might make it in time for smash bros! Actually.. an entry trailer could be a sweet way to introduce him/her!

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

Mature? Pff, I'll take E-rated Nintendo Magic any day. :)

Seriously though, I couldn't care less whether this new game is rated "mature" or not. All I know is it better NOT be a first-person shooter. That would be a joykiller.

Shambo

Shambo said:

I love the possibilities of a new franchise, but some of the older just weren't fully explored or ready to be abandoned just yet, in my opinion...

I'd really, REALLY like Doshin and Odama to return. Doshin could use touch controls to deform the land with a top-down view on the gamepad, and Odama... Well, there's a mic, tilt-controls by gyro-sensor, objective selection on touch screen, and I have some great ideas for online that would make for a completely 'new experience'!

And obviously, F-Zero and Battalion Wars.
And I don't know about the rights or other legal stuff, but what happened to the Cing franchises? Those games were mostly superb!

I am, however, intrigued by what this new franchise could be. Not holding my breath just yet though. As soon as I see it's something serious, story-driven; or a great fun single player adventure, I'll start getting excited.

SuperCharlie78

SuperCharlie78 said:

it's all about its wife-o-meter, hopefully this time the results will be better than those of Wii Music...

ramstrong

ramstrong said:

@SkywardCrowbar
Oh, I thought his last IP was Steel Diver. Who designed Steel Diver? In Iwata Ask segment, Miyamoto was shown to be heavily involved, at least.

Beta

Beta said:

@King47 Sorry if this comes out as rude, but, what's up with that? Why would anyone care if the game M rated or not? What does blood, extreme violence, alcohol or nudity/sexuality add to the gameplay or anything at all? Why can't it be rated lower just so can everyone enjoy it no matter what their age is?
Yeah, sorry if I come out as rude, I don't mean any harm.
EDIT: Removed the whole "insecure" thingy to not offend anyone. :)

JumpnShootMan

JumpnShootMan said:

@Beta; Point taken that blood, extreme violence, alcohol or sexuality doesn't hat much to the gameplay. BUT I would like to see Nintendo tackle something that's darker, grittyer, dare I say more violent than jumping on something's head. They are so good at what they do that I want to see their approach to a different genre. I also can't help but think that if Nintendo could produce just ONE killer app that had an M rating, maybe 3rd party devs would stop their lame excuses and be shamed into supporting the WiiU more. If Nintendo wants them to come to the system, maybe they need to take the lead and show them all how it's done.

PokeTune

PokeTune said:

Doubt this so called "new franchise" will be anything people actually wanted. Remember, he considers Wii Music or Wii Fit as "new franchises". So, Prove me wrong, Miyamoto!

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

I've been wondering about the new IP he's making, so it's good that he's finally talking about it again. Considering his repeatedly stated belief that a new IP must have new gameplay and not just new characters, this game ought to bring a pretty unique experience to Nintendo. It's also good to know that Nintendo has a solid lineup of games in place next year after Mario Kart 8 is out and tearing up the Wii U racetrack.

SyntheticPerson

SyntheticPerson said:

I want new IPs, and the maintaining of old ones. I would love another Metroid, Starfox and F-Zero. Perhaps if they made a few less Mario games, they could pop a game out for the dormant franchises.

Any new stuff though is welcome; I just wish they would announce it sooner rather than later. If it is due out 2013, they really ought to show their hand soon.

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

@19Robb92 I'm not sure on that, but those games were made to be simple and we didn't hear much from Miyamoto on those projects as they were in development. But for this new mystery project he's talking about "new experiences" which leads me to believe it will be a brand new adventure, and how "busy he is on this project" which isn't something he would've said for a game like Wii Fit or Steel Diver. And if Iwata wants to keep it secret because he doesn't want competition to imitate, it's gotta be something majorly important! right?

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

@MrWalkieTalkie
I'd love it if he was creating a new adventure with a big world and interesting characters. I can't really see that happening though considering his latest track-record. WiiFit was a "new experience" (as well as most Wii-series of games), so that sentence doesn't give me any comfort.

I'd love it if he proved me wrong and delivered something with the same amount of brilliance as Pikmin. we'll just have to wait and see.

SkywardCrowbar

SkywardCrowbar said:

@ ramstrong: Might have been Steel Diver... Regardless, he makes great games. I'm excited for anything he makes.

King47

King47 said:

@Beta I am not insecure about myself, and I wouldn't use as game's rating to try and prove otherwise. I also dislike nudity and sex in games. I do like a games rated for everyone, I actually enjoy them more. But as a grown man I often want a game to be somewhat mature, I am talking about the themes in the game. Something like eternal darkness. I just want varity of games. With fire emblem almost cancelled and no f zero, metroid, star Fox, or advance wars we are pretty much going to have Mario in every game and zelda. I love those games but it is not enough. Also I
Also, I mentioned tern rating. And @jumpnshootman had a good point.

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

@triforcepower73

Unless it's something like Wii Alphabets U. :p
I really and I mean really want Miyamoto to come out with a striking new mascot that is in league with nintendo's Nintastic arsenal of classic characters. Pikmin were the last including the animal crossing cast, and that was what? 2001? It's about time Shigeru! :o

And sorry, the Brain Age teacher and even Harmo Knight don't quite meet the NintenStandards! :p

Ernest_The_Crab

Ernest_The_Crab said:

@SkywardCrowbar No, I believe it was Steel Diver or the Wii Sports/Wii Fit series of games. Or maybe Wii Music.

Those last 3 games/series (Wii Fit, Wii Sports, Wii Music) I believe he developed cause he wanted to convince his games hating wife to play games. I think it was mentioned somewhere that he has since given up on that goal.

Beta

Beta said:

@King47 & @jumpnshootman Ahhh, I see your point now. I just can't see any way to justify everyone else not enjoying the game because of the age rating. Once again, sorry for coming out as rude or anything :)

Peach64

Peach64 said:

I'm really looking forward to hearing what this is, just hope it's one for gamers.

hydeks

hydeks said:

Can't wait! Everything Miyamoto makes is great, and Pikmin 3 is coming out next month which sounds like it will be a fantastic experience. It will also be my first Pikmin game I play, if I really like it, I'll probably get Pikmin 2 on Wii (yup, going backwards)

moroboshi

moroboshi said:

It's good to hear, but will almost certainly be too late by that point. Nintendo should have launched the Wii U with a totally new IP. (and I obviously don't count the mini game collection that was Nintendo land)

AVahne

AVahne said:

Nice, I wonder normal everyday activity inspired him this time. That man can make the most interesting games out of the most mundane tasks.

JumpnShootMan

JumpnShootMan said:

@Beta, no rudeness there.... I think you're spot on if the only point of the Mature content is to give the game an M rating. If there's a whole bunch of stuff thrown in just because, then it is going to be a detraction, and just limit who can play it.

turtle69

turtle69 said:

What? How why do you think a cps would be a joykiller? Youve never had fun playing one? They're not my personal favorite type of games but ive had some memorable times with a few. Goldeneye : did you ever play that game when it came our? I think its ignorant to write off a whole genre just because it has recently seemed stale. If anyone could make one to change your mind I think it would be nintendo. The narrower you think the less you ill be pleased. @ricklongo

wombatkidd

wombatkidd said:

@PattonFiend Yeah I know right. Nintendo totally hasn't published any games for older players sine 1985 at all.

Yep, the Metroid Series, the Fire Emblem Series, The Wars Series, and The Sin and Punishment Series definitely don't exist.

And Nintendo also didn't publish the first Final Fantasy game, the SNES version of SimCity, Killer instinct 2, Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem, Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story, or Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge.

And they certainly aren't publishing Bayonetta 2 either.

How do they get away with never making any games for older gamers?

/sarcasm

gaby_gabito

gaby_gabito said:

I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

@Beta
When people ask for mature games, I don't really think they mean "M rated". We don't even have that classification system in the UK. I think people are asking something which deals with some more adult emotional themes rather than just fun gameplay. For example something like Ni No Kuni, Shadow of the Collosus/Ico or ThatgameCompany type games. It doesn't have to have sex and violence in it to capture the attention of older gamers, It seem those games are most popular amongst teenagers anyway. But they don't tend to pursue character emotions in many of their franchises which they could do spectacularly.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

@turtle69 It's not ignorant, it's a matter of taste. Personally, I hate first-person shooters. There's nothing narrow-minded about that, because I have tried them - extensively. I did play Golden Eye in the 64, and it fell flat. Friends and work colleagues have been luring me into Call of Duty or Counter Strike sessions for years, and it's just not fun enough. It's just not my thing.

Beta

Beta said:

@AJWolfTill Ahhh, I see what you mean there. Well, when that's the case, it's not bad at all. I'm just talking about unnecessary gore, nudity, profanity, alcohol usage, etc. that just increases the age rating and restricts a lot of people from buying a game.

element187

element187 said:

@PattonFiend Mature titles like SMTxFE, Bayo2 and 'X' ?? I think Ninty has those bases covered.

Its our jobs to purchase them so Nintendo is encouraged to make more. If they are a commercial flop, then Nintendo will stick to what sells the most, Mario.

idork99

idork99 said:

Awesome news!

But until then, I'm still having too much fun with my 3DS!!

I'll most likely purchase a Wii U in the Spring of 2014; when Mario Kart 8 is out.

Doge

Doge said:

Mario party 10?

or..... maybe..... PLEAS JUST FREAKING GIVE ME A GOOD PAPER MARIO U

ULTRA-64

ULTRA-64 said:

@JumpnShootMan @Beta you seemed to cover all the ground over ratings and content well there guys. I agree a game doesn't have blood/sex to be adult but it would, in my opinion, be nice to see a Nintendo game played out in 'the real world' and with content derived from the story and characters/world involved without being affected by marketing chances /strategy. The idea that a game would be any worse with gore is the same thing we have defended ninty games from others saying they are worse without it!
What I'm trying to say is, games are an art, of which we all share a love of the classic bright style we are familiar with on Nintendo console's. But Would it not be a lack of integrity on their part to avoid subject matter of any kind, if it was their chosen expression,because it would sell less? I think so personally. I love Nintendo because they express themselves freely through games, would I if they made just what sold well and appealed to a mass market...not sure.
I'm gonna stick my neck on the block and say the new ip will be an underwater game of some kind ;)

KingDunsparce

KingDunsparce said:

It's been a while since we've heard about this. I hope it turns out great!
@Gansano If a Paper Mario for the Wii U comes out similar to Thousand Year Door, I'd be super excited. :D

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

The real world is boring. Wouldn't mind a parody of call of duty where you are the Taliban. (If it was good in its own right). Or one where the missions are things that actually happened that were in the files that Bradley Manning leaked.

For mature content it is best in its unwatered down form (Rarely exists outside books. The V for Vendetta comic book has a much stronger message than the film ever did and it is much darker.). Any of the stuff that labels itself as mature is more times than not absolute junk. (Like House of the Dead Overkill though but that is fairly immature really).

XFsWorld

XFsWorld said:

It better not be a kiddie IP like that one they made for DS a few years ago, Starfy.

Backwardsonapig

Backwardsonapig said:

@yuwarite
Games can have emotional depth without being "emo". I think he means more along the lines of a character with actual story and depth behind them.

banacheck

banacheck said:

When Mario Kart 8 arrives a "whole lineup" will be in place for Spring 2014

I hope so in Spring 2014, we are only in july 2013 now.

so I think it's about time we brought out a new franchise

It was only a few days ago Nintendo was saying thay where not making any new IP's, why the change of heart? Anyway looking forwards to see what this new IP is, hope its not a Wii U sport thing.

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

@AJWolfTill
To be fair a lot of people do seem to mean over the top blood, gore, ect. when they say "mature", after all being mature means different things to different people. Games certainly don't need that to be mature and I think games like NI No Kuni are a great example considering the game's style.

Thats not to say that things like blood and gore can't be used in a mature fashion, just look at the Walking Dead.

JuanitoShet

JuanitoShet said:

@Nabbit101 If it's been in the works for a while, that's good. We find out about it sooner than later!

And since this is a first-party Nintendo title, it's gonna be top notch!

zionich

zionich said:

Ive stated it before. But I would love to see Nintendo fdo an open world fantasy game. But thats my preference.

Williaint

Williaint said:

I'm excited about learning about this New IP.
I really would like to see a new Advance Wars. That's one game that could work DLC successfully... It'd be great for Wii U sigh

thanos316

thanos316 said:

how about a new metroid. um a new zelda. how about f zero.. how about a mini game that works well for the tablet..just give us some proof.. a lot of talk.

doctor_doak

doctor_doak said:

"We'll have Mario Kart 8 out next spring, and at that point we'll have the whole lineup in place, so I think it's about time we brought out a new franchise".

Not sure what he means by the 'whole lineup'... Smash Bros. wont release till late 2014, Zelda 2015 and Metroid hasn't even started development yet..I guess he must be referring to the 1st party releases starting with Pikmin 3.

The fact he's referencing Mario Kart 8 specifically, makes me think he'd have to be really mean if he was working on Wii Music U or something similar. We're all expecting something of the calibre of a Mario, Zelda, Metroid or Pikmin...I really hope it isn't a casual title, because the hype for this is going to be even bigger than 'Retro's secret project'.

Cyberbotv2

Cyberbotv2 said:

Give me a first party wrestling game. I'm sure Nintendo could make something as good as the N64 THQ games. Typing this just got me thinking that Nintendo needs to enter the sports simulation arena like they did with Courtside and Ken Griffey.

doctor_doak

doctor_doak said:

@Cyberbotv2

Wrestlemania 2000 was great fun! As was Ken Griffey Jr. Baseball. Can't see them doing anything like these tho due to licensing issues...

Hungry-Bear

Hungry-Bear said:

An original ip from Miyamoto sounds promising. Hopefully this isn't some casual stuff. I want adventure and mystery like when he brought us zelda for the first time. Can we also get Camelot to do a new golden sun or have them revive the breath of fire series since Capcom isn't doing anything with it. New breath of fire on the Wii U by Camelot spells epic in my book!

Falco

Falco said:

I love if Nintendo designed a new racing franchise, that's what they do best.

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

i think it be nice if they really do bring a new IP but make it a teen and up IP but wonder when we will hear news about this then o:

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

It will come from some part of Miyamoto's life... quick, someone needs to follow him around everyday so we can nail it down!