Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies Has Some DLC in Japan

Posted by Andy Green

Costumes, quizzes and a brand new case

Capcom has announced a batch of downloadable content for Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies in Japan. The game becomes available in the Land of the Rising Sun tomorrow and the extra content will slowly filter out throughout August and possibly beyond.

First up, players can download three new costumes. Phoenix will be able to don his old suit from the original series, Apollo will have a more a casual outfit and Athena will be able to dress as a schoolgirl. Many people bemoan the inclusion of costume DLC, but they will be free until 15th August, after that money will be required.

There will also be a deduction quiz pack that will be set at the Wright Anything Agency office. The prologue to this content will be available in the game already and is unlocked after completing the first case, while the next three parts will be released on 1st, 8th and 15th August and will cost money to download.

Finally - and probably most importantly - a brand new case called Special Chapter: Turnabout Return will be made available and will be set after Apollo Justice. The case sees Phoenix get hired by a trainer who likes to dress as a pirate. Apparently she needs the attorney to defend her orca against a murder charge in court - well, what did you expect?

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies is set to emerge in the Fall of this year in the West. Unlike Japan, it will only be available as an eShop download on the 3DS, there won't be any physical copies in stores - unless Capcom perform an incredible U-turn.

Though the DLC isn't confirmed for the West just yet, it's likely it will make it over eventually.

What are your thoughts on the extra content? Let us know in the comment section below.

[via siliconera.com]

Jonny

Jonny said:

I approve of this, this is probably my most eagerly awaited game of the year.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

I love the Ace Attorney series, dont get me wrong, but this is ridiculous. Charging money for the new chapter, yeah, i can kinda understand that unless its capcoms usual scam methods (already in the game / purposly cut during development) but costumes and quizzes ? Really ? Im a huge fan of the Dynasty Warriors series, so im kinda used to paying money for costumepacks, but knowing capcom, they probably charge the same amount of money for these 3 costumes as koei charges for a pack of 40+ costumes.
And you are mostly seeing characters other than the protagonists, so whats the point of these costumes ? I really dont get it...

DePapier

DePapier said:

So they don't localize the game is European languages, they don't make physical copies of it, they try to squeeze money out of it through costumes... Costumes... Pfff...
This is the first big Ace Attorney on the 3DS, just like Pokémon X/Y, and more so just like Fire Emblem: Awakening. This is Capcom's opportunity to change the game's status from niche to mainstream and they retain it to the really REALLY hardcore fans (like me) who will buy it download only, even if they grew up with Benjamin Hunter and Dick Tektiv (Edgeworth and Gumshoe's names in French).

This is deffinitely the last Ace Attorney we will see here in the West, I tell you. You know what? They should have just released it only for Japan, make a blockbuster success over there, and then partner with Nintendo, just like Square Enix does for Bravely Default, to get the game in the West one year or so later.

And that's the company that fired the ONE guy that truly wanted to bring this game properly to the West... Capcom... :/

Tactiques de pauvret.

LeasTwanteD

LeasTwanteD said:

As long as the costumes are free for some time i'm sure i'd download them. If the other stuff isn't overpriced either i'm very interested in it too.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

@DePapier Nicely said ;) Like you said, Fire Emblem had a more mainstream aproach with all out visuals, cutscenes, voice acting etc, without the fear that it would succumb to the usual niche. And guess what ? It worked perfectly.
Pokemon made a huge step forward presentation wise which also was quite daring, considering the content they had to squeeze into that cartridge. Kid Icarus got a reboot, or better said, a complete overhaul and also, it worked wonders. These are the best examples of "not playing it safe" go all out and you have plenty of rewards to collect.
Capcom on the other hand, isnt only playing it safe, if you ask me, thats just lazy and...if im honest, i didnt expect anything else.
Capcom, you had me with your wonderfull Monster Hunter Ultimate effort, but quickly lost me again by continuing your extremely stupid escapades...

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

Oh boy, more stuff that was likely planned before the game was even released!

Subaru

Subaru said:

Wait, I thought there was someone from Capcom Unity trying to get them to make Physical versions in North America. What happened with that?

BigDaddysPizza

BigDaddysPizza said:

@Subaru
Sven, the VP of Capcom, who basically got Dual Destinies in the West, resigned. He was the one who told fans to gain as much momentum for a physical copy. With him gone, it seems unlikely, but Capcom hasn't responded to our pleas yet.
-And others, don't freak out about paying for a DLC case. We are still getting a full 5 case game without DLC.

roryscott

roryscott said:

I'll get everything and I don't care to be honest! :D The more Ace Attorney the better is what I say!

Ernest_The_Crab

Ernest_The_Crab said:

@Erixsan His biggest problem appeared to be with the costumes, so I thought it'd be important to bring that point up a second time since the article already mentioned it once.

ueI

ueI said:

@DePapier They're called Benjamin Hunter and Dick Tektiv in French Ace Attorney? I played the Spanish Justice for All, and the English names were used for almost every single character. It was lame, and I would have hated it if my English weren't better than my Spanish.

RaymanFan2

RaymanFan2 said:

Calling it now - Turnabout Return will be the case where Edgeworth shows up, and the trailers featuring him have been fooling people into thinking that he's in the standard game.

OH HELL NAW says Capcom, as they release DLC that no one can help but buy because it features EDGEWORTH WITH GLASSES.

LordGeovanni

LordGeovanni said:

@Luigifan141
Is it sad that I was pretty much thinking the same thing?

Anyway, I could see the game being $40 (USD). Wish it was Physical, but I doubt the price will be lower.
I can see the three costumes being $3 (USD) but only because there are three. It is not likely that I would purchase them even at that amount.
I can see each individual case being sold at $5 (USD) however I doubt that I would be willing to pay more than that. I already pay $40 for 5 cases and I don't want Capcom to think that this is another Money Cow.

ferthepoet

ferthepoet said:

When games are released with DLC that is free for a few weeks then later paid, the idea is giving an incentive to be an early adopter instead of waiting for a price drop or to get the game second hand... Since the western release is going to be digital only is possible that the costumes would just come with game..... I don't mind an extra case as DLC and planning to get it as long as is reasonably priced (no more than 5 bucks)

yvanjean

yvanjean said:

At least you won't feel like your leaving money on the table by getting the digital version of the game. I can't wait for nintendo to get their act together and offer digital copies at a discount rate compare to the physical copy. I'm ready to make the switch to digital!!!

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Why would Capcom Japan care about Capcom America and Capcom Europe?